too nice to play - playing ultra high end JEMs? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

too nice to play - playing ultra high end JEMs?

at what point is a guitar 'too nice to play?' for many of us without unlimited funds, that could also translate to 'too expensive to play.' for those of you that own JEM 10ths, 20ths, DNAs, REMCs - do you play them or are they only collectibles? conversely, for the players out there, do you stop yourself from buying a REMC because, for the money, it's just not worth if you're going to play it (with the expected result of some wear)?

where do you think the line is where a guitar crosses over into the collectible-only category?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 09:03 AM

Reviews: 57
Re: too nice to play - playing ultra high end JEMs?

For me it'd have to be something very rare, and probably expensive that I bought strictly to collect.

I'm not big on owning something you don't use, it's just clutter. I bring very nice, expensive gear to ****ty bar gigs, some people question the sanity in that. For me though, I enjoy playing the stuff, none of it is particularly rare or anything, so why not. I didn't buy the stuff to sit around and admire it.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 09:11 AM

Reviews: 25

As far as im concerned, one of the goals I had growing up was to own and play top quality guitars..

Most of us will never be multi millionare recording artists, so why wouldn't you want the experience to play with a high end guitar.

When i play I want alll the help I can get to sounding like I want to, and if that means I play using my best equipment, then so be it..

If you buy guitars to use as an investment, then obviously you dont play it, but if you only buy high end guitars and your a guitarist and you only ever play your 550 then something is seriously wrong with you..

Its like owning the fastest car in the world, but you never try it out...
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 09:45 AM

Everyone is going to answer this differently, but if you're polling for opinions, here's mine!
I've got 8 Jems and 2 UV's. The 10th, 777LG and 77REMC don't get played, ever. The others (77FP, 777SK, 7VWH, 77GMC, etc) get played pretty regularly, but at home. I've played too many bad bar gigs where my gear got damaged, stolen, spilled on, etc to bring a 20 yr old Jem. I use a more common 2008 UV777BK for most of my gigs. That said, I'd cry if something happened to that too! Like everyone on here I'm not made of dough and the collection took a long time to build so replacing anything would be difficult.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:15 AM

Reviews: 3

I agree with the above, I don't own anything as rare as those Jems listed, but I am reluctant to take my most expensive guitar to live gigs. My main gigging guitar (a 550) is covered in nicks and dents and I consider myself to be pretty careful with it, these things just happen when you're moving equipment around a lot. Besides, your equipment is not always in your own hands.

At home though, I'll play anything I feel like. I can't understand why a player would buy a guitar and never use it, no matter how rare/valuable it is.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:16 AM

Reviews: 3

I couldn't see myself buying a guitar and not playing it. A guitar is an investment in the craft of making music for me. I don't have the kind of money a DNA pulls, but if I had a 90th or 10th-you can be sure I'd play it. Even if it's just at home, jam sessions and occasional gigs.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 12:55 PM

We should probably take into consideration the differece between a high quality expensive guitar and a collectable guitar...If you have a collectable jem limited run, playing it and taking it gigging is only going to make it depreciate in value. I say keep them guitars in mint condition and buy yourself a good quality mainstream guitar to gig and play for the most part
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 01:25 PM

Interesting thread guys... personally, I would not bring my high end guitars on the road... In my experience from gigging, your gear will get the odd bang & nick... & usually you are not the one responsible for causing the damage (audience, other band members & other times just plain bad luck). I own 2 Jems, a JS1000 & a MusicMan JP6 & I use a modded ESP MH-400 to gig.. sounds great, does the job perfectly...
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

my JEM10 is probably my best playing and least played guitar. either that or my JS10. It's not from a monetary value point of view, it's from a sentimental value point of view. i really want to keep them in as nice a condition as possible. these days i enjoy just "owning" them. I wished I could justify a "collector" and a "player" of each
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 07:07 PM

Reviews: 11

I don't consider ANY guitar to be unplayable as I'll never own a guitar that's only for looking at. And for those not taking their brand new Jem's to play gigs with.... well..... don't be silly!! I have used my 7VWh onstage from the day I bought it two and a half years ago, sure it can get a little messy and there's only 1 tiny ding in it, but it's still in excellent condition and I clean it down thoroughly after ever single gig (strings and body polish etc...) - That's a good routine to get into.

I don't see the point of owning, say a UVREMC that you're never going to play, probably rarely look at and even when it comes to selling.... possibly only make a few grand anyway. What a waste...... take it up onstage, where they're supposed to be, and blow people's minds with it's amazing looks.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 07:14 PM

I wouldn't buy a guitar to not play it, although really nice guitars wouldn't leave my home. If I had the money to spend and actually liked seven string guitars, I'd buy a UVMC reissue and play it all the time. As far as live guitars, I don't think I'd play some of the more rare Jems, but lets face is guitars like 7VWH's, 77FP's and 777DY's are not particularly rare.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Banned

there are two kinds of people
players and collectors
if your a player you compromise between form and function
I looked at the new UV re issue but notes on shimming and what not scared me into thinking it might not play well. in the end no matter what it costs it must perform.
and it must perform equivalent to the cost.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 07:50 PM

Some people are players, some collectors, and some both. I don't see anything wrong with owning a collectible guitar that doesn't get played. It's no different from any other collectible, be it art or baseball cards or whatever. The satisfaction for most people is owning it, displaying it and taking care of it, like a piece of fine art. Museums are founded on this principle, and there's a lot to be learned from it. I don't see the need to practice my daily modes on a collectible guitar, wearing out the frets and scratching the pickguard. Look at how excited people get when they see a dead mint 777LG....23 yrs old and still in great condition? Wow! No one "ooos and ahhhs" at the beaters. And I've never seen a Ferrari driven in the rain, so other high-end collecting genres share the same mentality I'm sure.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 08:39 PM

Reviews: 9

I think the best example for this is the REMC, and to be honest, when I think about all the things that have gone into making that guitar what it is, the swirl, pickups, build, fret job etc etc, it just outlines everything I want in a guitar. It was seeing and holding a REMC that made me buy my UV7BK.

To put it more concisely, if I could afford one, I'd buy an REMC, and I'd take it to every gig until either I couldn't play anymore or it couldn't be played.

I've played an original '59 LP Custom (black of course) that had had 3 headstock repairs, was on it's 2nd set of frets, had been through all kinds of sh!t and it was still the dream of a guitar that it should have been, and a lot of that I think is because it was played.

I'm not saying treat guitars like crap at all, I treasure my guitars, but not playing them is just silly.

If I bought somebody else's guitar on the other hand (e.g. Vai's UVMC, Gilmour's Strat etc) it'd be kept somewhere safe. I'd still have to play them at least once though lol.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 03:03 AM

i play my guitars! but i have a 'new' jem pmc wich i cant play!then it is not new anymore.and im too afraid to scratch it!

Tags
dna , jem10th , jem20th , remc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode