Toys - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Toys

I just noticed (in the OT) that jjemmer777's Jem7brmr with vine is up for best Jem Custom award.

Can't have that going on while it's perfectly obvious that my custom 'flo' runs circles around his 7brmr.

All kidding aside, this is the result of a two year in-between-other-jobs-project and I think it came out nice as an utlime Vai Relic project.
Specs:

Body: J. Donahue
Neck: RG-5 something
Pickguard I once bought from Glen looong ago.
Fretboard: '59 Brazilian Rosewood
Inlay: Abalone, MOP (photo's can't do this justice, it's absolutely amazing)
Frets: 6105, 21-24 scalloped
Pickups: Dimarzio Evo II, Jem Single, Fernandes Sustainer 401
Other: Thomas Nordegg' own Neon Green Gaffer 'konx' and naming tape,pickholder and other strategically placed pieces of velcro, Backstop, Edding 3000 Waterproof marker 'Flo'

The story behind this thing is that I had some spare parts laying around and I always wanted to do another knock-off/relic type (I also have an Ash Bad Horsie). Since the original Flo is somewhat special to me, I decided to go for that.
Patrick Koopman, a luthier here in Holland did most of the wood work - routing in the cavities for the sustainer, new fretboard, amazing inlay and headstock & paintjob, while I did most of the assembly at this shop. The only thing that I still have to do is put in a real white sustainer driver (which is on it's way now), and replace the one that I painted.

Btw, it plays like a dream and this particular sustainer has a lot of power & reach while being amazingly modest with battery energy.

Enough bs, onto pics:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 04:52 PM
rya

Re: Toys

i hate you!! lovely replica
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 05:11 PM

Lol.....I haven't even acknowledged that I am going to enter my Vrmr and I already have competition

Nice custom

Good luck
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 05:15 PM

Love it!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 05:24 PM

I have one question...... how does it play with that BIG gouge out of the side of the neck (just below the stand neck fork)???? I guess that's a shadow. Hey, you NEED to sell that guitar to Bane Jelic from that other thread.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 07:37 PM
rya

He'll be on that in a second!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 07:43 PM

did u not paint that with titanium dioxide because it kinda looks like it is yellowing, or is it just the pics?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 08:16 PM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroenn View Post
(I also have an Ash Bad Horsie)
Great Flo Replica dude but the Ash Bad Horsie you have is tons better.
Unfortunately the pics from your original post are no longer live or I would have posted them here.

The only jem I'd like more than your ash one is this.

The mirror one is just so pimp (not in a good way) that I'd take ANY* other guitar before it regardless of the custom vine.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 08:45 PM

Cool!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

About the paint, no, the pic is rather dark and the color used is one tint darker than 7vwh white.

I think I have a neat pic of the bad horsie somewhere, let me see.

I should add that the 'ash' part refers to the orriginal (rather than the mahog one or the mirror ones). Mine is
unfortunately basswood - but I'm thinking about having a proper ash body cut (no angled jack, no lions claw but with monkey grip as the original).

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:16 AM

Quote:
I just noticed (in the OT) that jjemmer777's Jem7brmr with vine is up for best Jem Custom award.

Can't have that going on while it's perfectly obvious that my custom 'flo' runs circles around his 7brmr.

All kidding aside, this is the result of a two year in-between-other-jobs-project and I think it came out nice as an utlime Vai Relic project.
Specs:

Neck: RG-5 something
Pickguard I once bought from Glen looong ago.
Fretboard: '59 Brazilian Rosewood
Inlay: Abalone, MOP (photo's can't do this justice, it's absolutely amazing)
Frets: 6105, 21-24 scalloped
Pickups: Dimarzio Evo II, Jem Single, Fernandes Sustainer 401
Other: Thomas Nordegg' own Neon Green Gaffer 'konx' and naming tape,pickholder and other strategically placed pieces of velcro, Backstop, Edding 3000 Waterproof marker 'Flo'

The story behind this thing is that I had some spare parts laying around and I always wanted to do another knock-off/relic type (I also have an Ash Bad Horsie). Since the original Flo is somewhat special to me, I decided to go for that.
Patrick Koopman, a luthier here in Holland did most of the wood work - routing in the cavities for the sustainer, new fretboard, amazing inlay and headstock & paintjob, while I did most of the assembly at this shop. The only thing that I still have to do is put in a real white sustainer driver (which is on it's way now), and replace the one that I painted.

Btw, it plays like a dream and this particular sustainer has a lot of power & reach while being amazingly modest with battery energy.

Enough bs, onto pics:
very cool

Last edited by crevis; 11-09-2006 at 09:01 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 06:20 AM
dex

The neck puckup is loopsided but otherwise this original Bad Horsie is awesome.
This is what I want. I want a grown up jem.

A jem for people who have left their long hair/biker's jackets and stretchy jeans in the past.
Bling and pimp don't do it for me anymore.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 07:43 AM

Quote:
you mean you had Donahue building it for you? and how you got Nordegg's gaffa tape? anyway, congrats!

Tags
angled jack , dimarzio evo , fernandes sustainer , jem custom , monkey grip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode