Tree of life neck. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Tree of life neck.

G'day all, I stumbled across a pic which was posted on FB by Vintage Guitar Magazine. (credit given)

I thought the TOL necks were a Vai thing & only availiable on Jems, well i learned something new today!

For the Ibanez fans out there, here’s a circa 1978 Ibanez Professional Model 2671. Called the Randy Scruggs Model, it featured a sweet “tree of life” vine inlay and a German-carve top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 08:40 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: Tree of life neck.

That's sexy thanks for sharing I had no idea!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 09:38 PM

They come on j-custom models too, don't they?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 09:50 PM

Gibson was using a vine inlay around 1903
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 10:21 PM

Yeah, it was much more prevalent on all the older models. Now all most see are the cheap plastic inlays on jems. They did some pretty elaborate stuff back then when they had actual craftsmen.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 12:13 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS RG View Post
Yeah, it was much more prevalent on all the older models. Now all most see are the cheap plastic inlays on jems. They did some pretty elaborate stuff back then when they had actual craftsmen.

Indeed they did....... one of my favorites, I saw this on a trans-wine colored Artist...... I think it was a Bobby Cochran signature.

Bob Weir had some nice ones too.........This one is a re-issue.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 10:09 AM

Wow man the head stock on the first guitar is insane!!! The binding all the way inside the cut outs on the top of the headstock would be extremely difficult... for me anyway
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:37 AM

Yeah, they won't spend the money to make anything like that anymore is my guess. Plus people nowadays (MOST PEOPLE) don't care or just don't know what real craftsmanship even is...That beautiful scrolled and inlayed headstock is what I like to see. It's not the typical "rock guitar thing", but it's gorgeous. And this is not to imply those things don't scream with the best of 'em because they most certainly do.

Most don't care or even know about quality anymore and just buy what is offered and don't question which frustrates me. I grew up surrounded by oldschool so I'm stuck in the old school of thought where I look at most things made today and can't give them any credit. I'm simply not impressed.

Thankfully though, there are a few like-minded people here who like to not only play, but build things. And some do some really impressive work.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:44 AM

Funny thing...my purple rg my dad bought me....I remember telling him I wanted one...he looked at it and laughed. I was like "what?" And he told me "that's a piece of s#&t!!!" haha!...but this was from a highly trained jazz player with quality built hollowbodies and stuff like that. For the most part he was right. Not to say that RGs suck, but when you think about it, they are exactly what he called them when compared to the stuff pictured above. But when I came home from the gulf, it was here. he bought it for me a week after I left to go and told me I had better come home in all his letters...I miss my dad.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 05:27 PM

You can't compare the quality and the price of a budget production guitar and one coming from a fine luthier.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babook View Post
You can't compare the quality and the price of a budget production guitar and one coming from a fine luthier.
No you can't. No way, no how.
My dad was a stickler for quality. He had lots of gibsons, guilds, and a very expensive Benedetto. So when he saw I wanted an rg, he was like "WTF???"

So now that I'm a grown man at 40, still having a few of my dad's guitars, I am very much the same now. You'll hear me bitch about prices for things from time to time. This is why.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 05:52 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
My dad was a stickler for quality. He had lots of gibsons, guilds, and a very expensive Benedetto. So when he saw I wanted an rg, he was like "WTF???"

So now that I'm a grown man at 40, still having a few of my dad's guitars, I am very much the same now. You'll hear me bitch about prices for things from time to time. This is why.
I'm sorry for your loss. I've been lucky enough to have my Dad around to continually let me know all my stuff is ****........lol
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. I've been lucky enough to have my Dad around to continually let me know all my stuff is ****........lol

They have a way of being brutally honest and right. The latter of which we never believe until much, much later in hindsight. But that's ok. it is what it is and when it dawns on us one day, it's a good laugh.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:

I agree that in general craftsmanship and quality of work is being pushed out more and more in favor of higher volumes but you are comparing apples to oranges. There are PLENTY of luthiers doing amazing work creating these masterpieces around the world and plenty of people who appreciate them. They were never for and will never be for the masses. Even the best Gibson isn't even close to the pinnacle of craftsmanship. There is a point of diminishing returns for the huge majority of people buying guitars and everybody has their opinion on what's important to them in a guitar. It's not a shame that people are perfectly content to have a 500$ RG to play the hell out of. It's not because they don't appreciate craftsmanship, it's because a guitar doesn't have to be anything more and it's a tool for them, not a work of art.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Anyone have an idea of value on a Randy Scruggs as pictured?

I've found one on the interweb. The price is up there.

I would love to have one in the collection.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode