trem problem - jem site remedy seems imporrible?! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

trem problem - jem site remedy seems imporrible?!

I hav suffering with *slightly loos trem, the problem can be seen here: http://www.jemsite.com/tech/t_3other.htm#tremarmrot

fortunatly the jem site have in this section shown how to fix this problem. However, i cant see how you are supposed to get that wrench in to that tiny gap. On my jem, anyway the wall of that socket would have to be less that 1mm. So is this for real? is there another way to fix this problem?

any advice greatfully recieved!

Al M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 05:47 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
trem problem

no tools are needed to replace the white bushings or use the fix outlined above. To remove the bushings, use a fingernail or small screwdriver on the tremolo arm.

The bushings are seen here at the arrows.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

trem problem

its not the bushings that are the problem, the arm actually moves

my fault, i put the wrong link!!!

the subject is on the same page as that link, next one down titled:Tremolo Arm Holder Maintenance for Stability

thats my problem
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

trem problem

here is the link! stoopid me!

http://www.jemsite.com/tech/t_3other.htm#tremarmholder
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 06:07 PM
Vendor

trem problem

Pull the bridge and tighten it, fully described in the next paragraph.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

trem problem

dont quite follow rich^^^
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 06:18 PM
Vendor

trem problem

The next paragraph

Removing the Tremolo (with strings still attached)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 07:01 PM
site founder 0% owner

trem problem

unless you have a thin-walled deep socket (which apparently you do not) you should REMOVE THE TREMOLO as Rich said. See instructions for doing that on the same page ...glen
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 01:29 AM

trem problem

And don't worry it will stay in tune when you put it back on, just reverse the process.....
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 02:50 AM

trem problem

since I got tired of changing the nylon bushings on the tremolo,I took out the ibanez insert on my lo-pro and replaced it with one made by "all parts",It has the floyd style,screw on bar,so I can adjust tension however I want and never ever have to search across my room for the bushings that flew away when I was changing them.The 'all parts' tremolo arm and insert costs about 15.00 at Mars music.The only mod needed is a longer screw[the one in the package is too short].You can always re-install the ibanez insert if you sell the guitar.I have probably done this to 30 or so guitars and it is a great alternative to the bushing problem.I get the stability of the lo-pro and lose the aggravation of bad bushings.The longer screw is metric and can be found at any hard ware store.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 12:29 PM
site founder 0% owner

trem problem

Quote:
Mike Sweeney on 2:50 am on Dec. 22, 2001
since I got tired of changing the nylon bushings on the tremolo,I took out the ibanez insert on my lo-pro and replaced it with one made by "all parts",It has the floyd style,screw on bar,so I can adjust tension however I want and never ever have to search across my room for the bushings that flew away when I was changing them.The 'all parts' tremolo arm and insert costs about 15.00 at Mars music.The only mod needed is a longer screw[the one in the package is too short].You can always re-install the ibanez insert if you sell the guitar.I have probably done this to 30 or so guitars and it is a great alternative to the bushing problem.I get the stability of the lo-pro and lose the aggravation of bad bushings.The longer screw is metric and can be found at any hard ware store.
I've seen (and bought) a few used guitars with this type of mod. The arm holder was replaced with a floyd-rose style screw in mechanism. It did NOT appear to damage the tremolo base threads (ie. where it screws into the trem) since it didn't really screw into the base, rather the new arm holder screwed into an anchor on the underside... hence the "longer screw" is probably required.

Anyways if someone has the parts required and photos that would be a good addition to the tech section.

Personally, i don't like the floyd-style "screw on arm"... *but some players do ...glen
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 02:07 PM
Vendor

trem problem

Personally, I go a little stronger, I *HATE* a screw in bar. The best upgrade you can do to a TRS is replace it with the push in type. Your millage may vary.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 06:42 PM

trem problem

I hate them too Rich.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 07:01 PM

trem problem

With the 'cap' style arms, you have to be picky about where they're made.. The korean stuff, like the one on a TRS, has bad threading, and wears out quickly, or doesn't even work from day one..

The bars like this made by Schaller work perfectly, stay tight, and IMO have a better length and curve than the Edge's normal bar..

Hey, what ever works, right? :biggrin:

Tags
arm holder , tremolo arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode