Trem springs on 7vwh wont hold 10s... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Trem springs on 7vwh wont hold 10s...

Okay I have a brand new Jem 7vwh and I put 10s on it today, and screwed the screws all the way in as far as the spiraling on the screws go, maybe a little bit more and the bridge is pulling way high with only 10s in it. I have it tuned down a whole step and can't even tune up a half step not to mention up to pitch... wtf is with that?

I have the original 3 springs, and on my G&L S-500 the springs are shot as hell but can handle 11s, maybe 12s if I push it.

Pisses me off that I actually have to buy new springs for 10s!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 09:22 PM
Vendor

Try screwing them in further
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 01:14 AM

I had 10s on mine for a while without problems. I'd loosen all the strings and try retuning. It sounds to me like you have a classic "tuning-induced jacked up trem" issue. If you still have problems, you can always connect your springs in a triangular fashion to gain more spring force.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 08:58 AM

I've done this operation to most of my JEMs and UVs.

I take the springs out and cut one coil or winding off of each spring.
Then I take the next coil and bend it down so it will grab the trem claw again.

This way I wont crack the body by tightening down the screws all of the way.

In a few cases I've taken two coils off of the springs.

The trem should sit leaning tword the headstock end of the guitar just a little when it is set corectly.
If the trem is level it will not stay in tune as well.
If it is to far forward it will feel funny and mess up the action height.

If the trem is set correctly and the guitar is in tune, you've got it.

When all of that is done you may find the action too high.
This means you need to take the neck off and reset the thing.

When I went from 9s to 10s on most of my IBZ, they needed neck resets as well.

Goof Luck!

Sebastian
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 05:04 PM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian
When all of that is done you may find the action too high.
This means you need to take the neck off and reset the thing.

When I went from 9s to 10s on most of my IBZ, they needed neck resets as well.
Only do that if your trem bottoms out when you dial in the prefered action height.
The first place to go for adjusting action should be the trem posts.
Clockwise to reduce, anticlockwise to increase action.
If you have Lo-Pro on it don't forget to unlock the posts before turning them or you can end up spining your trem anchors.

ilia
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 01:31 PM

Try this out. I like extra spring tension on my guitars anyway. I've removed one screw from the rear spring retainer and put a 4th spring in the open screw hole. I just rotate the retainer back into place and it holds just fine with the one screw as long as it's tight.

Ultimately: Rich is totally right though, screwing the claw in a little more should be all you need. Lots of folks use 10's on their JEM's and haven't really experienced any problems.

Mike 777 Haug
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

thanks...

first off thanks everyone for the input.... I have been unable to logon for the past few days, and having a hard enough time signing online at that so it's probably on my end...

Well I can't possibly screw the screws in any further... they're already in as far as they go, and I am going to need to get new springs in there, or maybe 2 more, but 3 springs should be 100% sufficent for just 10s! Also even if I could, I would clearly run out of screw space... I do not think any of you understand how much the bridge pulls up if I try to tune even 1/2 step down (which I can't even do because of the springs)

I might try criss crossing them too, but I am going to see what I can find tomorrow. (These are super thin springs too, and all the people on the irc channel who own an ibanez replaced their springs right off the bat).

and Sebastian.. I gave the truss rod an ever so slight turn which is slightly straighter now than I want it, but once I tune up I think it will be perfect. and the bridge isn't just elevated slightly... if I tuned any more it would be doing a full 90 degrees on me!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 10:16 PM

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

yes my bridge is pulling up much! more than that and Im tuned down lower than Black Sabbath on slow motion here
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 06:05 PM

yes. but you probably pulled passed the balance point, and the more it lifts, the more ur tuning drops, and the more you need to tighten the strings, which causes it to lift more, and you go around and around.

take all the tension off the strings till the bridge drops down below where it should be. then hold it in its correct position with your hand, and tighen all the strings just until they start to take up the tension on the trem. then bring them all up a little bit (dont tune one to pitch then move to the other, try to keep them all out of tune by the same amount), then bring it up again. repeat until its in tune and your bridge is at the correct angle.

alternatively read richs guide as has been suggested. once u get it right, whenever u change strings, change, stretch, and tune on string at a time, keeping the old ones that u've not changed on there until its there time to change. that way ur trem will stay in the correct position, and a string change will be much quicker.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 10:21 PM

zerolight... can I get a witness!!!

Tags
trem claw , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode