Tremelo System on 555 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Tremelo System on 555

Hi, I know the TRS on the 555 is not very good. Mine actually holds tune fairly well (sometimes it drops a little sharp, but never anything horrid). Anyways, aside from people saying my 555 is crap, i'm actually fairly fond of the guitar. Anyways, I have 5 springs in the back to hold the tuning better, but I was curious if I upgraded to the edge pro, would it just drop straight in? I don't want anyone saying "its not worth it for a sub-standard guitar" or "just buy a new jem." I'm 23, and in College, money is tight and i'm fortunate to have the 3 guitars that I have........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 06:13 PM

Reviews: 13
Re: Tremelo System on 555

If you have an older 555 the answer is no, however the newer models may be able to take it.

The older 555's require addtional routing. I think there has been a thread related to this previously that may provide addtional detail and insight.

-Wolfram
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 06:58 PM

To be honest I prefer the vine on the 555 dont no why just like the dots with the vine, and despite what people TRS trems can be good the one on my RG7420 is one of the best trems ive ever played on, and the TRS on my teachers PGM hold tune as well as a edge.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_SA View Post
To be honest I prefer the vine on the 555 dont no why just like the dots with the vine, and despite what people TRS trems can be good the one on my RG7420 is one of the best trems ive ever played on, and the TRS on my teachers PGM hold tune as well as a edge.
Ya I kinda like the vine, but the quality of the material on the vine isn't as nice
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 04:33 AM

Well, I have a JS100 at home with the LO TRS II, 95% sure it is the same tremolo system you have on the 555 but check the internet to be sure. A long time ago I crashed my tremolo bar (pulled it off). Now I got back into playing the guitar and I wanted the fun of the tremolo back.

I searched the internet and I found that a Floyd Rose Original tremolo bridge just fits in without any drilling/repainting/... The Lo Pro edge (on the 7-series and JS1000 series) doesn't fit in just like that.

The only "problem" with my JS100 is that I can't get the backplate back on because the piece where the springs attach to the bridge is a lot longer and comes out of the guitar-back. Apart from that it's waaaaay better than the original tremolo bridge. For me it was worth the money (about €250). If I ever get my hands on a cheap 555 The first thing I'd do is change the bridge.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 04:46 AM

Yes, an original floydrose will drop right in. Read this (scroll to the bottom)
http://www.jemsite.com/ibanez/21-iba...o-bridges.html
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:56 PM

Reviews: 2

I changed my 1996 jem555' tremolo to and edge trem.. first without changing of studs.. i have littel problems with octaves.. then i change the studs to the edge ones and worked finaly.. now i call it JEM557

Tags

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode