Tremolo Differences JS1200 w/Original Edge? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Question Tremolo Differences JS1200 w/Original Edge?

What are the differences and advantages of the original Edge. I am thinking about buying a new JS1200 I don't understand the trem differences vs last years model. Does the original Edge trem protrude further from the front face of the guitar?

I suppose right now I could get last years trem (Edge Pro? I can't keep the names straight) or wait for the original Edge

Thanks for any info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Vendor

Re: Tremolo Differences JS1200 w/Original Edge?

The Edge has a raised hump at the back of the bridge like an OFR would before the Lo Profile redesign. The Edge Pro was the most advanced and lowest profile version of the Edge family. Most will say the EP plays a little stiffer while the Edge plays a little softer, which is why the big guns still use them of their guitars.

Check your PM's.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rich

I found more info here

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibanez_Edge

What is the connection between the profile and the trem tension? I thought the tension was determined by the springs.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 02:21 PM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Thanks Rich

I found more info here

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibanez_Edge

What is the connection between the profile and the trem tension? I thought the tension was determined by the springs.
Don't overthink it.

String tension is balanced by spring tension, as you say. Profile has nothing to do with tension but it may (very slightly) affect the action.

Fatigue will affect the spring rate over time but the solidity of the trem chassis and the feel of the bar will have a much greater effect from day to day.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Vendor

Overthink it.

Weight, string side weight, balance, where the leverage points are, how it intonates [which affects the leverage point], etc, all have a say to some degree in how a sytem feels.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Overthink it.

Weight, string side weight, balance, where the leverage points are, how it intonates [which affects the leverage point], etc, all have a say to some degree in how a sytem feels.
Your post #2 was spot on - My post was intended to get the OP playing rather than worrying about minutiae.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Vendor

Good point, but if he's thinking about which to drop a lot of coin on, lots of details are better than "shut up and play yer guitar"
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Good point, but if he's thinking about which to drop a lot of coin on, lots of details are better than "shut up and play yer guitar"
True enough.

OP: Rich will see you right - you could do far worse than to buy your next guitar from the man (and all the better if it has an original Edge)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Just trying to understand it better (before buying), to me it would that knife edge systems would feel the same given the same string/spring tension, so given that the best option would be lower profile.

I understand now there is more to it.

Now, how much does string guage factor into the trem feel? For example, 9s vs 10s?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Vendor

Obviously 10's will be much stiffer to play.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Thanks for the input. Just trying to understand it better (before buying), to me it would that knife edge systems would feel the same given the same string/spring tension, so given that the best option would be lower profile.

I understand now there is more to it.

Now, how much does string guage factor into the trem feel? For example, 9s vs 10s?
Quote:
Obviously 10's will be much stiffer to play.
I think what he was askin' ya' Rich was if the play differences of the Original Edge vs. the Edge Pro is similar to comparing the tension of 9's and 10's.

Mako, the Original Edge has alot of fans. I can't speak for all of them, but I am one of them. For me, the Original Edge is IT...no Floyds, no Kahlers, no Wilkis have ever worked for me like the OE. It's a nice heavy unit with some mass, and I feel it sustains better than the newer ones with hints of plastic parts...lol Everyone has their favorites. To me, the other bridges just feel kinda cheap. Even the little fine tuner screws are heavier on the old systems...the new ones feel like they're just waiting to get snapped off. They don't move as smoothly as my Original Edge or LoPro Edge guitars do...

There are some great innovations in the newer bridges. I like the idea of the offset intonation bolts in front of the saddles. But it's a moot point for me if I don't like how the bridge sounds or plays...lol I'm very excited about having the Original Edge come back to the Vai and Satch lines...I'm normally not a JS fan. But the return of the awesome bridge, and the new 24 fret neck are severely tugging at me to get a 2400...lol

Rich, if you happen back in here, do you know when the 24's might be available? I checked your page but it still sez Feb.

Last edited by Akhenaten; 03-07-2010 at 12:50 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Gotta love Rich, He dont sugarcoat a damn thing. And I wouldnt want it any other way. I can Speak what little I know. I have guitars with both trems, Im not a big gun player and the two trems are on two different guitars. I think one reason people are saying the older Edge is not as stiff is cause of just that,the springs are well broke in as they were on older guitars. And people loved the older Edge when it arrived,thinking dont fix it if it aint broke, that is a good summary of how minute the differences are feel wise to me. Most of it is in ya head. Now as for aesthetics, and function I take the Edge Pro as it is much lower and out of way,looks better and has the steel soundchip on the saddle(this is neither proved or unproven to make better) but at least it was a attempt to create higher quality trems. And last the Pro can except the string with its ball on, which we all know resting the ball on the tuner post is a better way to go anyhow. I will say that I am not a super heavy trem user, I prefer to feel control of the string with my finger when possible so as for if one will raise notes(pull back) more than the other I cannot attest to I just never had a reason to try to break the damn thing. I might if I was Steve Vai though,LOL. If I were you I would be more concerned about Neck dimensions and stuff like that as the JS has a different feel than most other popular Wizard neck guitars,I learned this as I baught a new JS 1200 with my eyes and ignorance and could not play well at first on the C shaped(Strat style neck). Some people can bounce from one neck to other and never miss a beat, This could have something to do with the case of Carpal Tunnel in my hands I have after 15 years of laboring.Either way these are IMO the best two tremolo's ever made yes even than Floyd Rose. akjc1977
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Vendor

You're right in that part of it is mental, but there's definitely a technical component to why the Edge just feels like it plays a little softer.

As for the tone chips in the EP, many have blamed those on premature string breakage, whether that's justified or if it's just the case of finding anything to bash something new [back when it was, because nobody has been complaining about the EP since the EZ has been released ]

IMO the EP is a much more refined unit, much lower profile, and I'd prefer working on an EP as a tech, but being old school, I still prefer the Edge. It's pretty much the case, you really can't go wrong with either unless you just can't live with the higher profile of the ED.

Tags
edge js1200 tremolo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode