Tremolo worries. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Tremolo worries.

First off, this is obviously my first post here. I spent the past day scourging jemsite.com in its entirety, so hi and all that.

Now on to my worries. Right now I have an Ibanez SA160QM in amber finish. It's still okay, but I started to really want something with a double-locking trem, 24 frets, a better neck with a good fret job, an HSH pickup array, and cool aesthetics. I'd been looking around for a couple of months, and the only things I had come upon that I could afford were a Jackson DKMG and an RG2550. I wasn't really sold on either. The DKMG looked cool and everything, but the neck felt kinda big, and I really didn't like the big-ass neck joint; the tremolo also didn't seem very stable. The RG2550 seemed like it had good features, not-too-shabby looks, and a good trem, but I needed to try one out. I went to my "local" music store which also happens to deal primarily in Ibanez, but they didn't have what I was looking for, and the only dude that I really semi-know wasn't working, so we left. Following that, I was finally hired at Pizza Hut, so money became less of an issue. I went to get a setup done on my Ibanez some time later, and my mom left me there to try out some stuff while she got food or something. I noticed a JEM7DBK on the wall, but I didn't know the model or anything because I dismissed JEM's as being bland. I decided to try out some retailed, $1600 S-model with a piezo, but the neck was too fat, so the experience was kinda bittersweet. The dude doing the setup asked me what else I wanted to try, and I said something about an RG when he pointed out the aforementioned JEM. He said some guy had bought it new from that store about a month earlier, but it wasn't what he was looking for, so he traded it in. Also note that this thing was freshly setup. I said, "Okay," just to say something, but he took it down, thinking that I wanted to try it. I didn't really want to, but I tried it anyway. All my views of JEM's instantly changed when I held that guitar. No longer did it look bland and somewhat tacky; it looked freaking awesome. I played it before plugging up, and it felt great. I plugged it in, and it sounded great. I liked everything about it. Then I remembered another thing he said: It's $800 with case. So I was like, "LLOLOLO I WIL GET DIS," and I thought it was a perfect deal. However, I am now concerned about the tremolo. I was under the impression that the Edge Pro was the pinnacle of modern trems, but now I'm not so sure. This will be my first Floyd-equipped axe, and I'm really excited about that. Having said that, I want the trem to be a good one. I'm really worried about the posts and general tuning problems of the Edge Pro.

Should I really be disappointed with the Edge Pro, considering the deal I'm getting on that JEM? Will it be sufficient as my first-ever double-locking trem? Also, sorry for the long background story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 04:41 AM

you can get almost all of your answers here: http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

i think jemsite should make it a requirements to read through all of rich's excellent articles on floyd guitar setup before asking in the forum. :P
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

I read all of that during my scourging. I just want to know if the Edge Pro is a bad choice for a first Floyd.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 09:09 PM

The Edge Pro is the newest bridge in the Edge line, it's got a number of improvements and additions, nothing taken away from it...it's a fine choice for a first floyd. The tuning problems you might have heard of could refer to the non-locking studs that come standard on guitars equiped with the Edge Pro, as in the past Ibanez has used locking studs to improve tuning stability at the studs...this doesn't make the tremolo "BAD", it will still retain it's tuning fine after tremolo use, just not to the degree that a guitar fitted with locking studs would, but it still works very well. Original Floyd Rose, Floyd Rose Pro, Edge, Lo-pro Edge, Edge Pro, all fine choices for a first double locking tremolo bridge...in my opinion.

Tags
double locking tremolo , floyd rose , floyd rose pro , locking stud , locking studs , locking tremolo , music store , neck joint , pro edge , tremolo bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode