Truss rod adjustment - stupid tech... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Truss rod adjustment - stupid tech...

sorry guys, seems like i'm spamming messages here... just wanna setup my jem7 perfectly though, thats all...

the tech i took my jem to the other day seems fairly incompetent... after he lowered the lo-pro, and its angle... i have fret buzz when i do bar chords near the nut now... from around frets 1 to 7 ish....

gotta loosen the truss rod i think... now i'll try and do it myself this time! *

will i need to remove and strings to alter the truss rod?
i haven't removed the truss rod cover so i don't know if there will be enough room for the truss rod adjuster to move if the strings (particularly D and G) are in the way?

what direction does the truss rod have to turn to get more bow in the neck? looking down from headstock to body, does the rod need to be turned clockwise or anticlockwise?

how long should i leave the guitar after adjusting the truss rod before I make new measurements and/or new adjustments?

sorry for the flurry of messages guys
thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 08:57 AM

Truss rod adjustment

Leave the strings on and tuned to pitch - you have to squeeze to get the truss rod wrench in there, but it fits. You have minimal play, but you should never adjust your truss rod more than 1/4 turn at first - that can be alot, especially when loosening it! You turn the truss rod counterclockwise to loosen it and increase the relief. You shouldn't need much relief in the neck - I like it so I can just see the string move ever so slightly when tapping it at the seventh fret while holding it down at the first and nineteenth frets. I know somebody around here can give you actual measurements, but the tap-it method has always worked well for me... Good luck
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Truss rod adjustment

i've loosened the truss to the point it is slack now.. no tension in it at all
still nout enough back bow i feel
coz there is still fret buzz at 2-10 frets
thing is i can eliminate this at by raising the action at the bridge, but the then overall action is too high for my liking.. what can i do about this??
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 04:49 PM
Vendor

Truss rod adjustment

Make sure the nut's not too low and causing the problem. If not, put heavy strings on it and let it sit with the truss slack for a couple weeks, it'll put all the *front* bow you want back in it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 05:19 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Truss rod adjustment

to get frontbow when no further trussrod adjustment is available, it will likely require repair. Get a tech to clamp it for a week to reintroduce the concavity. Stringing it with heavy strings will likely cause twisting and not solve the problem 100% ...glen

Tags
fret buzz , rod adjustment , rod wrench , truss rod , truss rod cover , truss rod wrench

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode