Trying to pimp my 555 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Trying to pimp my 555

Found a beat up 555Bk on E(vil) Bay and it's been sitting in my basement awaiting my attention for well over a year. Well, I'm on it now and this thing is getting a serious overhaul- Custom "Black-Out" Tree of Life Pickguard and Truss Rod Cover exclusively made by Darren Clark. Loaded with Dimarzio pickups and wired with two DPDT switches to toggle the neck and/or bridge humbuckers from the standard series to parallel modes. New neon green tree of life neck from ET Guitars, Neon green paint job. BUT I'm running into a common problem- this is an earlier model with the sh*tty Lo-TRS II trem and from everything I've researched, it can only accept an OFR or an Edge as direct minimal/ no mod replacements. I snagged a shiny new Edge Pro a year ago and really would prefer to have that in there. Can it be done with a pro luthier doing the routing? Mostly concerned with the depth of the block on the Pro- looks to be shorter than the TRS. It needs some wood taken out from around the post anchors area and I am understandably concerned with structural integrity once that wood is removed. Should I just ditch the Pro plan and go with a used Edge instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 09:44 AM

Reviews: 7
Re: Trying to pimp my 555

I'd say go with the edge, because I like it very much
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 05:41 PM

The original Edge is definitely a holy grail trem, and if it does drop in without mods to the body, why not consider using it? You could also go for a replacement/aftermarket body, which would give you the option to change tonewood and/or even go for a swirl or different type/color finish.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 01:10 PM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsv555 View Post
Found a beat up 555Bk on E(vil) Bay and it's been sitting in my basement awaiting my attention for well over a year. Well, I'm on it now and this thing is getting a serious overhaul- Custom "Black-Out" Tree of Life Pickguard and Truss Rod Cover exclusively made by Darren Clark. Loaded with Dimarzio pickups and wired with two DPDT switches to toggle the neck and/or bridge humbuckers from the standard series to parallel modes. New neon green tree of life neck from ET Guitars, Neon green paint job. BUT I'm running into a common problem- this is an earlier model with the sh*tty Lo-TRS II trem and from everything I've researched, it can only accept an OFR or an Edge as direct minimal/ no mod replacements. I snagged a shiny new Edge Pro a year ago and really would prefer to have that in there. Can it be done with a pro luthier doing the routing? Mostly concerned with the depth of the block on the Pro- looks to be shorter than the TRS. It needs some wood taken out from around the post anchors area and I am understandably concerned with structural integrity once that wood is removed. Should I just ditch the Pro plan and go with a used Edge instead?
I'd need to see pics of the new and old trems against the cavity, and the cavity itsekf, but I would say that the big issues are likely to be:

1. Routing out the corners rearward of the baseplate
2. Post Spacing
3. Post positioning in terms of scale length.

It is nothing that a decent luthier can't do. I have modified an rg350 body into a jem replica, and it took some work, but it is doable.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 01:20 PM

Reviews: 7

you're right, I forgot. edge pro's cavity is not compatible with original edge's one. but an OFR or a Schaller FR should be.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 03:04 PM

Yeah I put an Edge on my 555. It definitely required some routing. You can do it all with a dremmel, but if i had to do it all over again, i'd just put an OFR on there. I even did the OFR arm mod to my edge.

if i knew then what i knew now...
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 05:19 AM

Greetings jsv555
I upgraded my Jem Jr 555 with a Lo-Pro Edge,and changed the rest of the hardware with Jap made parts. My tech retro-fitted the trem,and yes some routing was required. Also the trem posts and dowels were replaced with the Ibanez posts. I also added a cap to the volume pot, and she sounds and plays just as good as a top end Jem. I use it as a back up guitar though. You other option,if you want to avoid some routing, is to fit a floyd rose,or, schaller tremelo. Either of these will fit right in. Good luck and rock on!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 10:11 PM

Reviews: 2
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Getting closer every day to having this beauty done!
First: I got a decent Ibanez tech to do some routing for the Edge Pro and while I didn't catch every detail of the mod, I do know he had to rout a little out to allow the corners (particularly the rear ones) and the one side of the Edge Pro to move freely. The posts were replaced but did not require new positioning so far as I know. The good news? It was relatively inexpensive.
Next: I have stripped the paint off the body and primed it and then applied neon green paint and then hand stenciled matching Tree of Life/Vine motif on body in black. It's been sealed and I am waiting for it to cure so I can begin wet sanding and then buffing/polishing.
Lastly: the custom neck I ordered from Ernie at ET guitars is nearing completion! Check it out:

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 PM

Looking good. Going with a lefty neck on a right handed guitar?

Wouldn't mind doing that myself.

Shane
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtwlf View Post
Looking good. Going with a lefty neck on a right handed guitar?

Wouldn't mind doing that myself.

Shane
Hard to tell, but based on the direction of the vines, that's a righty design on the reverse headstock. That or they just use the lefty template when CNC-ing the basic form and drop the inlays in as per usual w/ righty's. Yeah, I'm a huge fan of reverse headstocks...

Last edited by jsv555; 03-03-2010 at 03:51 PM.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 12:54 PM

Looking good...and you can honestly say it started out as a real Ibanez Jem.

I was thinking about submitting some reversed HS designs to the JEM design contest, but I figured I'd keep it simple...might have better chances that way, LOL.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

It's almost done! Got an email from Ernie at ET and the neck is on it's way. I've painted and sealed the body though I may have to send it out to get it professionally done- the color of canned neon green does NOT match the neck's color The 555 body's been routed for the Edge Pro and I've got the custom pick guard ready and waiting. Just need to assemble, set up and intonate. Here's pics of the finished neck. Pic of body to follow.
Neck
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:48 AM

Hi,

looking good so far ;-)

I wonder how did you mange to get emails from ET guitars? I emailed them five ore six times during the last 6 weeks and i did not get one single reply... ;-(((((((
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece31 View Post
Hi,

looking good so far ;-)

I wonder how did you mange to get emails from ET guitars? I emailed them five ore six times during the last 6 weeks and i did not get one single reply... ;-(((((((
Have you actually put any money down on a product or service? I found Ernie responds much quicker when you have money already invested-LOL!!! I also had a period of time where Ernie wouldn't answer emails. I then sent a stronger worded email to get his attention and reminded him that I had a bit of cash invested with him and expected better treatment and to his credit, he improved his communications with me.

Tags
edge bridge , jem 555

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode