Tuning to E - Can't get back to E tuning with my UV777 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Tuning to E - Can't get back to E tuning with my UV777

Ok here is the deal I have had my UV777BK for like 9 months and I tuned it down to D after about the second week and have always left it tuned to D.

But I tried to tune it back to E and for the life of me I can't get it past E flat. I had changed the strings one at a time before I tried to retune. I did not use a block or whatever it says to use in the tech section. I did what I usually would do with my Floyd Rose while tuning on the fly. I would just hold it down so its floating at approximately the right height and tune kinda a pain but I have done it like this with my floyd on numerous occasions and have had no problems.

How many springs am I suppose to have? I have 3 and don't remember taking one out. I currently have the springs positioned so that the middle one is straight and the top and bottom are closer to the middle spring at the claw. Also I have the screws for the tension on the springs almost all the way tightened there is like maybe a 1/4 turn what gives? also the bar seems to be in a dropped position too because of trying to tighten the strings

WHAT GIVES? HELP...lol maybe I am missing something I really have not played the guitar that much and have only changed the strings on it 3 times so I am not that familar with the tremolo I have always used Originol Floyds that how old my other guitars are... LOL

BTW: I am new here so whats up everyone

(Edited by Zmuzic at 3:29 am on July 22, 2001)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 12:29 AM

Tuning to E

First thing I would do is straighten the springs out, moving them to the inside only makes them wear out (lost pulling strength) faster.

Secondly, if your using a .009 guage set (I'm assuming you are) tune your guitar up until your bridge is in the correct position regardless of pitch.

If it's flat, tightem up the trem claw 1 full turn each screw. Then check your tune and the bridge position. If it's still flat but the bridge has moved backa little, tune the strings up in pitch and that will bring the bridge foreward.

Your going to have to do this sort of tapdance between the trem claw and the tuning.

You may have to add a 4th spring depending on the strings you use.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Tuning to E

Ok if I were to put the top and bottom springs back so they are straight wouldn't that reduce the tension and therefore the tremolo would go even flatter (pull forwards) also the screws to adjust the claw have like a 1/4 turn left ( the threads are all the way into the body ) and it will not be able to tighten the tension on the springs anymore right? I have .009's on it

Do you think I should just make the block and start over loosening all the strings.
Also like I previuosly said the bar already appears to pulled forward. I measured the edge of the tremolo *where the tuners are and its about 9/16's of the top of the body this seems a lot and my action is about 3/16 at the 15 fret I know I never adjusted the action when I tuned down I think I only adjusted the tension of the springs

Thanks for any help you guys can offer I will try to post pics of the setup tommorrow

(Edited by Zmuzic at 3:52 am on July 22, 2001)
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 12:53 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Tuning to E

you might want to block it tuned to E with the proper trem angle. Then adjust the tremolo claw springs to allow the block to fall out.

This should be a 15 minute task, allow to settle over night and fine tune the next day, adjusting the claw for action... glen
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Tuning to E

I am thinking now that possibly I held the bar to far down and that is why I am having problems getting it to E. It really seems weird *because I have gone through this kind of stuff before with learning how to setup a Floyd so maybe I just need to make the block and start over.

What part of the bar should be flush with the body, the base of the tremolo?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 01:08 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Tuning to E

click the GUITARS link above (in green menu) then TECH/SETUP. All answers will be there... glen
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Tuning to E

I checked out the section on blocking the guitar and got the dimensions for the block but which way is it supposed to be installed? Which dimension is supposed to be between the body and the tremolo? Maybe I missed something

Thanks
Bob

Tags
bridge position , floyd rose , trem claw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode