Turning a JS100 into a JS1000 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Turning a JS100 into a JS1000

Hi,

Today I got l hold of a JS100 body and neck for free!!!
So since I have an empty body there I thought I might as well try to get as close to a JS1000 as I can. But I've never done this before and I'd need as much help as I can get
I've got all the specs I could find for the JS1000 and wiring diagrams as well, but I wanted to put my shopping list in front of you guys to see if I'm going wrong somewhere, anything that's missing or something I should change.

Here it is, along with some questions:

Pickups:

Neck: Dimarzio PAF Joe (standard or f-spaced?)
Bridge: Dimarzio Fred (f-spaced if I'm not wrong)

Tremolo: I'd like to fit an Edge Pro, but I'veheard that it would need some routing (which I don't dare doing). Is there any other good trem that would fit without major wood work?

Electronics: Looking at the diagrams this is what I should need. Is that it?

3 way pickup switch
Volume push/pull pod (500K-W)
Tone push/pull pod (500K-D)
331pf Capacitor
223pf Capacitor
Output Jack
Knobs

I'm not into electronics at all so any detail or spec you want to add to this list (as silly as it may be) will be much appreciated. Also if you know of any good places to buy from (I'm in London, UK).

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 01:32 PM

Re: Turning a JS100 into a JS1000

You PAF Joe can be standard of F-spaced, it doesn't matter for the neck. However, your Fred should b F-spaced, and most people just have both pups F-spaced for consistency.

As for electronics, you will also need a wiring kit as you will need more wires to connect the input jack and such.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 04:05 PM

Just look at my JS white build thresd here... It is a JS100 body but have not gone with the cheap JS100 neck. I have chopped down a 24 fret RG570 square heel wizard 1..

The body requires extensive mods to make it suitable for correct jap parts..eg . Trem stud change including re drilling to 11mm, re-routing trem cavity.., deepening the neck pocket depth to 19mm as per standard jap made Ibanez.. Cheaper Korean models have a 17mm deep neck pocket so a better neck than the korean one wont fit...

So there it a bit in it
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys.

Hey SP2333, I've seen your thread. That's unbelievable, really awesome stuff. I'll keep following it to see if I can do something similar to mine. Unfortunately I don't have the tools and the skills to do all this routing and drilling you are doing.

Do you have any recommendations for a better bridge that would fit the standard body holes? My body is from a '95 JS100 so if I'm not wrong it had a lo TRS II.

Can't wait to see how your project advances. Good luck with it, it's looking beautiful.

Cheers
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 07:31 PM

i could be wrong but i think the post dimensions are the same for both guitars. it is the routing in the tail part of the trem that is different. i think i saw on the ibanez website a drawing of a template with dimensions, or it might have been for the trem itself, like if you bought it to put in your guitar and in the instructions it gives all the info you need.

you do need some tools though, and a little skill.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 03:32 AM

The Brass JS100 trem post inserts are 10mm OD and the Jap EGDE trem steel inserts are 11mm OD... See edge trem manual for instal details.

The threds are also different so you cant interchange just the post, you must change the insert also..
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Contributor

I had a JS100 I used for years. I turned it into a JS1200 by selling it and getting a JS1200. I am really happy with the results.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 02:00 PM

Reviews: 59

+100 OCD
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferranster View Post
Hi,

Today I got l hold of a JS100 body and neck for free!!!
So since I have an empty body there I thought I might as well try to get as close to a JS1000 as I can. But I've never done this before and I'd need as much help as I can get
I've got all the specs I could find for the JS1000 and wiring diagrams as well, but I wanted to put my shopping list in front of you guys to see if I'm going wrong somewhere, anything that's missing or something I should change.

Here it is, along with some questions:

Pickups:

Neck: Dimarzio PAF Joe (standard or f-spaced?)
Bridge: Dimarzio Fred (f-spaced if I'm not wrong)

Tremolo: I'd like to fit an Edge Pro, but I'veheard that it would need some routing (which I don't dare doing). Is there any other good trem that would fit without major wood work?

Electronics: Looking at the diagrams this is what I should need. Is that it?

3 way pickup switch
Volume push/pull pod (500K-W)
Tone push/pull pod (500K-D)
331pf Capacitor
223pf Capacitor
Output Jack
Knobs

I'm not into electronics at all so any detail or spec you want to add to this list (as silly as it may be) will be much appreciated. Also if you know of any good places to buy from (I'm in London, UK).

Thanks in advance for your help!
As I understand it, an Original Floyd Rose will fit without any routing. A Gotoh Floyd should also fit without any problems and would be my choice of trem for this guitar without having any surgery done

Tags
js100 , js1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode