A universal question. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

A universal question.

So, im wandering through the local pawn shop today. Same old stuph. 20 washburns in various states of neglect, the four fenders and epiphones that time tried to forget, 15 or so amps, 5 or so of which work, a uv777bk, a couple of drumkits made for ewoks.....

Hang on...

600 dollars, U.S., my bretheren, it's a deal. I had always wanted a JEM/Universe guitar, and oh my god it's beautiful. She's got a bad ding behind her bottom strap pin, a couple of little playing dings and some pick wear on the guard, but other than that, she's tip top.

Got a question tho. Her pickguard doesn't quite seem to fit on the lower bout, im wondering if it's misinstalled or an aftermarket. If it is, can i get another?

Any imput into this would be great. And no, i don't know if she's got the border on the inlay, she's only on layaway right now, since i left my 600 bucks blowing money at home. But she'll be home soon, have no fear. I can tell why these guitars have such a following on here, this one is one of the most beautiful instruments i've ever had the privilage to lay eyes on.

This is my first time on the site, and it rocks out. Even got Himself's attention. I'll be around guys, keep rock alive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 02:45 PM

Congrats on your Universe!

I can't tell whether your pickguard is aftermarket or not, but you can easily get one that is. You might like to try Jeannie's: http://home.attbi.com/~pickguards/
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 10:00 PM

Reviews: 30
Congrats man. Seems like there is a new KY person here everyday. Which shop was this at? I may have seen it.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 12:09 AM

You can still get the pickguards from Hoshino also. Though Jeannie may be a bit more cost effective. I just got a replacement p/g for a Universe to route for EMG's on a fellow jemsiter's guitar. So, Ibanez still has them, and they obviously should fit properly. It is possible that an after market pickguard was put on, or hand made, and just came out imperfect...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 01:37 AM
EKG

If it is the mirror pickguard, I doudt it is aftermarket.

I've actually found that the guard on the UV777BK's don't sit right on a number of them. I don't know what the problem is, but I see them misalligned almost all the way to the edge covering up the binding.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

The store was S.E. Davis pawn, downtown Louisville. The guy said she'd been sitting there for about three weeks.

Im not that stressed about the pickguard fit, i only noticed it on VERY close inspection. It is the mirror pickguard btw. She's quite a looker. And to think i only went in to see if they had any cheap acoustics! I haven't played in almost a year so this will inspire me to play lots more, hopefully.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 04:19 AM

Great find Ace dude! Sometimes we luck out on our trips. I went to a local pawnshop here and found a beat up 777bk for 1500.00 firm. Kinda makes you laugh..............
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 10:16 PM

The UV7BK is the first universe I ever saw, when I was about 15. I've lusted after one ever since... I know that's wrong... I'm sure if my first UV experience was with an MC, I wouldn't give a crap about the 7BK *LOL*

Hell, I'd be happy to find one of the 97 versions without the green pickups and dots, because then I could add a mirror pickguard, some Evolution 7's... maybe chuck some Simpsons stickers on top of the dots... Hehehe.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 10:42 PM

Pete......you and your sticker dots! Is there a story, and what about chicken run?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Yah, i had a guy at another guitar store offer me 700, sight unseen. Had to pass tho, i love this thing. Only problem im having with it is some fret buzzing on the first fret, all the others are cool. So now im wondering if i want to just raise the bridge or wander under the truss cover. Any suggestions?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 12:19 AM
Vendor

If it's buzzing while fretting on the 1st then loosent the truss rod. If it's buzzin on the first playing an open string, shim the nut [although you still might want to check the neck bow and adjust anyway]
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

The high B buzzes no matter what unless im above the second fret. The low E and B buzz a little played open but nowhere near as bad. I thought about shimming the high B and raising the whole bridge, but i think loosening the truss might fix the whole problem. I also need to find a truss plate replacement screw, but i think a plain old hardware store might be able to help me there.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercjoe
Pete......you and your sticker dots! Is there a story, and what about chicken run?
No particular story, when I was putting together my last guitar, I chose between Chicken Run holographic/reflective stickers, or cutting the head off a Qui Gon Jinn action figure to use as a volume knob. I decided Qui Gon could live another day. My dad bought me the stickers cos he knew I'd get a laugh out of them.

Tags
fret buzz , neck bow , truss cover , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode