Universal question) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Universal question)

Hi guys, need your opinions on the following
Ibanez UV7BK greendot (1992)
Vs
Ibanez UV777BK (1999)
Vs
Musicman jp7 (no shields and no piezo)

Which one should i get and why? Any nuances that i should be aware of?

(i never had a seven string before)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 07:48 PM

Re: Universal question)

I used to own a JP7 with no options and a UV777BK. I have never owned a UV7BK but I did rescue a UV7PWH from Guitar Center which is from the same era. (Just to be clear, by rescue, I mean I paid for it and got it out of the store.)

The UV777BK was my dream guitar! There is something to be said for owning your dream guitar when it is still your dream guitar. The mirror pickguard can crack, particularly from guitar techs tightening volume pots too tightly, and they are really expensive pickguards to replace. This is not really a problem, just an unfortunate event. I feel like the Pyramid Inlays were not inlaid as well as they could have been. There seemed to be black glue around most of them indicating the pyramids were too small for shape cut into the fretboard. I have seen better inlays on other Universes, including other UV777BK's. With that said, I played that guitar the most of the three and I am glad I owned it when I did.

The Music Man JP7 was a great guitar! In terms of build quality, I would say it was the best of the three. I learned I prefer a H-H pickup configuration versus a H-S-H configuration. The JP7 was not a particularly exciting guitar. It was built extremely well, reliable, easy to play, sounded great, but I almost never reached for it first.

In hindsight, the UV7PWH was a better guitar than my UV777BK for three reasons. First, it was in Mint condition. Second, the neck was incredibly thin. Third, it sounded better. However, the fact it was in Mint condition meant I wanted to keep it in Mint condition so it lived in its case in my closet the majority of the time. I rarely played it because I was afraid I would put the first nick or scratch on it. I eventually traded it for a guitar that I played a lot more and was probably of equal value at the time. When I owned these three guitars, the UV777BK was still in production and UV's were not collectible like they are today.

If I were in your shoes, based off the information provided, I would go with the UV777BK. It has a Lo Pro Edge 7 and you probably will not be buying it off a smoker on old-school eBay. I would go with the JP7 second because it is probably a solid and safe choice. The bridge is really good but has a much different character than the Lo Pro Edge 7. It is more subtle and does not dive down or pull up in an overly dramatic fashion. Third, I would choose the UV7BK because you could be getting a great guitar in good condition, a flawless guitar in perfect condition, or a beater that has been abused. (I've seen one in such shape before.) Ultimately, you are choosing between three guitars of equal quality, more or less. If all else fails, base your decision off looks.

I will say you are buying your first 7 string the right way!
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 08:56 PM

Reviews: 13

I own a '97 UV7BK, which plays like a dream... no doubts on this question for me.

The UV777BK is good, but it's easy to find, there are too many of them. Same for the EBMM, but these are butt-ugly guitars. Also, they have smallish frets, which I hate. I bought one once, and I sold it just a few months later.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Ok, the dilemma is narrowed down to jp7 optionless vs first year uv7bk greendot with original edge 7
Any thoughts?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 06:42 PM

Good luck on finding a first year uv7bk green dot with original edge 7.
Unless you already have!

The necks are all very different on these guitars.
It really depends on you taste in necks???
Old 90-92 UVs will have the thines necks.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 03:36 PM

I agree the necks are very different on different eras. Here is my 2 cents.

My first 7's were 7620's. Lo pro and one pc necks very similar to the original Uni necks...albeit a hair bigger. I like thicker necks period. I have owned 4 JP7's. All great builds but I could never bond with the thinner necks. I traded a PDN JP7 for a new 2011 UV777bk and it slays. I find it much better built than the originals, and keep in mind I am probably in the minority here. I don't care much for the looks, but a 5 pc thicker neck, back to the lo pro edge, well it as no brainer for me. I now own a 2011 and 2012 and I absolutely love them. The build quality is fantastic on both guitars and at the time they were near $2600-2800 new.

So even though they are common, what is not common is the 2011-2013 vintage. They got all the goods of best neck (for my tastes) and lo pro edge...and it got replaced by the 7V7, also a nice guitar if you like the alder body and monkey grip. I think you could find one in the $1000-1300 range and have one hell of a guitar for that price.

But for collector the originals still hold value better. The 7v7 was about $3k new and I can't find it to be any better built than the 2011-2013 vintage.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Well, heres what i got eventually
Behold the 1990 uv7bk with original edge 7
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 12:28 PM

Wow, looks awesome. Looks clean. I just got my first 7, a UV777pbk. Enjoy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode