Universe advise needed - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Universe advise needed

Hey guys
just realized that i want a 7 string Ibby so bad)
could you please let me know what would be my best options?
cause there are so many iterations of Universe alone
which ones should i be looking for? (year, type of edge trem etc)

and whats the difference between universe and lets say 7620 other than pickups and pickguard? should i consider non-signature stuff too?

visually i like uv777bk, it looks badass
thanks)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 10:11 PM

Re: Universe advise needed

I think most on here would agree that the Lo-Pro Edge 7 is the best bridge. I'd either go with the 777bk if thats what really catches your eye, or get an RG752 off Ibanezrules, Rich got 'em on clearance.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

lo-pro option noted)
i havent tried 752, which one would be better for dream theater/korn sounds 752 or universe?
i see that 752 have Paf pros, how do they compare to blaze or blaze ii's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
I think most on here would agree that the Lo-Pro Edge 7 is the best bridge. I'd either go with the 777bk if thats what really catches your eye, or get an RG752 off Ibanezrules, Rich got 'em on clearance.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis_musicman View Post

and whats the difference between universe and lets say 7620 other than pickups and pickguard? should i consider non-signature stuff too?
I believe the neck profiles are different as well.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 03:32 PM

The Blaze's will definitely give you the korn sound. They're higher output than the pafs, and if you want that orignal 7 string sound its the original 7 string pickup, heavy but clear for those big chords. I've only played the paf7s briefly when my buddy had a 752, and they're nice and balanced but might need some dressing up with stomboxes or somethin to get em a little shreddier. I think you'd probably be happier with Blazes.

Also, Blaze and Blaze II's are the same pickup, I think they were originally called Blaze II's when they came out and now everyone calls em Blaze. Guess cos there was never a "blaze I" but hell if i know.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 06:18 PM

Lo Pro Edge is the option that I like...after that, it's going down to the store and getting your hands on them and feeling out the necks...Pickups can always be switched out...I not the biggest fan of the Blaze pick ups, but I tend to stay with Dimarzios. Finish first for me, then necks second...after that, i can customize everything else.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

More questions) i checked different universe models and i like the looks of 777bk and the black one with green pickups and green fingerboard dots
Is there any sonic or any other difference between them?
Also i see that there are some models with all access neck joint and some are with fender style plate joint, any comments on these?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 02:54 AM

I'd suggest an RG 7 string than the universe. or even an S 7-string. They play and sound just as nice as the universes.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

you mean 7620? or any 7 string RG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marloni View Post
I'd suggest an RG 7 string than the universe. or even an S 7-string. They play and sound just as nice as the universes.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 04:14 PM

I still stand by the 7620, but you can get 752's used for really good prices and they share all the features of the 7620, but they are not 15 years old which mean less chance of worn knife edges, and have PAF Pro's instead of "New Dimarzio's".

The neck width at the heel will be wider on the 752, but I don't think there are many other differences between the two. Neck profiles probably differ but I don't know by how much.

And the Green Burst with the maple fretboard looks really nice IMO.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

by new dimarzio you mean them dimarzio/ibz?

i checked the green burst 752 and oh god it is pure beauty, i think i want that one the most now)

Last edited by axis_musicman; 11-03-2016 at 07:29 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
visually i like uv777bk, it looks badass
thanks)
I think this says a lot about what you should get. The UV777BK is a great guitar and not a bad one to buy as your first Ibanez 7 string.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 02:53 AM

Quote:
by new dimarzio you mean them dimarzio/ibz?

[/IMG]
New Dimarzio is not dimarzio/ibz, it is 7-string version of Super distortion on bridge and I am not sure is it 7-string version PAF or Distortion3 on neck. They are proper Dimarzio pickups and they can't be bought from Dimarzio.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 05:20 AM

Quote:
you mean 7620? or any 7 string RG?
any 7 string RG i mean. for me personally, i'd settle for a rg7420. the floyd maybe cheaper, but you won't hear much of a difference from the universe except for the pickups. other than the pickups, a 7 string RG is good enough.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

quick question)
i have an RG 1702 J Custom 6 string
it has the following neck specs: 1st fret width 43mm, 24th fret width 56mm, 1st fret thickness 19.5mm, 12th fret thickness 21.5mm, radius 430mmR

and it feels ideal to me, much more comfortable than my prs, fender, godin etc anything!

how should i choose 7 string neck to feel right at home too and to not feel way different from my 1702? (i mean if i would be constantly switching between my 1702 and 7 string for different songs - to not go in the situation of getting used to the instrument all over again)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode