Universe first year greendot - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Universe first year greendot

1990 universe, didnt djent. Tried to check whats the problem, took off the pickguard and...
Pickups' baseplate markings are b1 m1 n1
The strange thing is that n1 is in bridge and the marking is upside down + b1 is in the neck
Should it be like that?
And do you guys have the wiring diagram for old universe? There is 60 cycle in 2 and 4 positions, i guess it should not be like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:52 PM

Re: Universe first year greendot

This is strange. I would say neck and bridge have been exchanged. The upside down marking on the neck side and single should be correct, but I have only seen it with B in bridge and N in neck. But I have also always seen the wires shortened from factory and that cable from your B1 is very long.

I have also only seen red as hot, green+bare to ground and black+white in the middle for splitting. So in your case the outer coils are used and with the same magnetic pole as the single coil you will never get hum-cancelling in positions 2+4 and that is what you hear.

I would change the wiring or maybe someone else has an idea?

If you want to change the wiring exchange
white with red
black with green
and then white+black go where red+green is now.
And then finally black and white from the single coil need to be exchanged with each other to be in phase.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
J.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode