Universe hates the humidity - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Universe hates the humidity

So....early last week I picked up my UV777BK from the shop. It was in for a basic professional setup. By the end of the week the strings had stretched and I gigged it out on Friday night. All this time I though the action seemed a little high to me, but I deal with it. It was even, it wasn't buzzing, and it sounded good....I was willing to let it grow on me.

Yesterday we had a bit of a humidity and heat snap. If tomorrow is over 90 degrees it will be considered a heat wave. I picked up my Universe tonight, the first time since Friday nighst gig and the action is VERY low. I play for a bit, willing to believe that perhaps the Dewars is effecting my ability to guage action properly and the action is now so low that its got a bit of a buzz....not much....almost so little I'm willing to live with for the lower action.

This happen to other folks Universes? I've had issues with the apartment I'm in before adversely affecting the setup of instruments but never this drastically. Strangely enough my RG7620 looks like it's doing just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 11:24 PM
Vendor

Guitar gets hot, wood expands, neck gets longer, truss rod doesn't move. More stress on truss rud starts to backbow the neck, hust like cranking down on the truss rod. If it was setup with liberal front bow [which i like because it keeps alot of the buzz out of the low B] then it's straighter now, and therfore the action is lower
Rich is online  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

I know the Physics of it...I was just wondering whether there were others that have had it occur so dramatically with thier Universes.

We had a similiar heat/humidity snap last year in late June which left just about every guitar on my wall wonky. Weirdly enough my RG550 was the only one to seem to escape the weather.

Just curious if my experience is similiar to others....
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 10:15 AM

I usually have the opposite issue: Denver is SO horribly dry that if I neglect my humidifier by even one day, I get all kinds of neck-shrinkage. The trick is to find just the right balance in humidity. Also, where & how you store the guitar could possibly have a bearing on how the neck reacts. I leave most of my guitars hanging on the wall, but I try to keep an even 40-45% humidity at all times. Last time I was out of town for a weekend, the humidifier ran out and room humidity dropped to just below 30. EVERY guitar was buzzy, but after a night with the humidifier full and on "high", all was well again. If you keep the guitar in a case in a cool dry place, you might be able to avoid any over-humidifying issues.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 10:27 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
this is where the UV's great neck, without the plastic coating on the back, hurts. i have this problem only on my GC Custom, because the neck is 100% unfinished (except for elbow grease!). THe summer's humidity (brutal here) makes the neck almost unplayable when it flattens. Thta is where my USA Custom' shallacked neck comes in handy ...glen
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
this is where the UV's great neck, without the plastic coating on the back, hurts. i have this problem only on my GC Custom, because the neck is 100% unfinished (except for elbow grease!). THe summer's humidity (brutal here) makes the neck almost unplayable when it flattens. Thta is where my USA Custom' shallacked neck comes in handy ...glen
This would explain why the RG7620 and my RG550 have both seemed to be unphased by the change. Both have finished necks and it would make sense that there would be less flux with them.

Good call on the humidifier. That may have to happen in the near future. Can anyone reccomend one for me?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 11:51 AM

I've had great luck with the Kenmore line from Sears, but they're all pretty much the same. It definitely depends on the size of the room that you're trying to humidify. My toy room is about 16"x10" and I've got an 8 gallon humidifier, which is probably overkill, but...I don't have to fill it as often
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 01:59 PM

[quote="vaijem777"]I've had great luck with the Kenmore line from Sears, but they're all pretty much the same.

I have a great Kenmore digital hygrometer/thermometer that I use to measure the temp and humidity in the room.

I'm also really anal about making sure the guitars are always in their cases when not being played-especially in the more humid times of year. Cases aren't weatherproof but help a lot. Guitars shouldn't be left out on stands unless you have great climate control designed for that kind of storage/display. Stands are for going away to answer the phone, get a sandwich, etc. the cut of wood is a major factor and a judgement ofn that cant't be made entirely by a visual. I'm amazed how some people have been fortunate enough to have perfectly intact necks and leave their axes out on a regular basis. Me personally, I don't care how greatly built a guitar is, I'm not comfortable with the risk and I can't afford a possible loss.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 02:30 PM
site founder 0% owner

good advice Mike...

but i really can't be bothered casing/uncasing guitars. i'd just assume get rid of them if i can't leave them on stands for easy access ...glen
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

I'm kind of with Glen on this one. If it's in a case all the time it better be there for highly collectible and investment reasons or it's in storage. If it's a regular player then it goes up on the wall on a hanger. Additionally I live in an apartment and space is at a premium. It's hard enough finding space for cases, let alone trying to get to them often enough to pull out guitars when i want to play them.

The Universe in question is a player....probably one of the better ones but a player nonetheless. I gig with it, rehearse with it and practice with it.

I guess to me if a guitar needs to be cased all the time then there's really no sense in me having it. I'll leave collecting to the pros; I'll take a player Jem90 and use the extra money for a non-collectible case so I can gig it out rather than worry every time I sit down and play it.

However I can certainly understand why someone would want to protect an investment, but it's just not an investment I would want to make.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarekrough
Good call on the humidifier. That may have to happen in the near future. Can anyone reccomend one for me?
Now hang on just a second - I may be way off here - but where YOU are I think you want a DEhumidifier. VJ777 uses a humidifier in CO because he's got the opposite conditions to you (low humidity). You need something to suck the water out of the air, not pump it in.

I don't have a Universe (still haven't mastered six strings etc) but this year when I moved here from Britain where all my guitars were completely stable for years, two of my Jems got the symptoms you describe. The DY that I've been playing regularly since music college (a long time ago) never needed any truss work before, but here it bent back so much I was getting chokes on open strings. FP headed the same way, several others unaffected. I have to say this shocked me and since then I've cased the whole lot up and moved them into a constantly air-conditioned room. I'm not a collector, I use these guitars to record, but they still represent an investment of many many thousands of dollars that I don't intend to lose out on just because of the weather.

My trusty little S540LTD remains on the stand though... if I didn't have something grabbable, I'd go nuts!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 10:29 AM
site founder 0% owner

yes, a dehumidifier would be useful to combat summer humidity

a humidifier would be more suited for winter in the north the east... glen
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

What was that old Steven Wright bit?

"I'm going to get a humidifier and a dehumidifier, put them in the same room and let them fight it out."

Yes...I meant to say a dehumidifier for the current conditions I am experiencing. However with the New England winters come some seriously dry weather because....well...everything freezes.

...ahh...good fun.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 12:59 PM

See, i've got the opposite problem; Berkshire County, MA is so humid that i'm not worrying about neck expansion; i'm worrying about rust. the air eats strings, and i have to clean the frets and bathe all the steel bits in WD-40 every so often to keep the guitar presentable. Thankfully, my school dorm is pretty dry; no problems when i'm up there.

-Drew
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 01:55 PM

Hi all. I told you I was picky about my stuff. LOL! I don't have the climate control I would like. Fortunately, I learned guitar repair and maintenance in college and gained enough experience to maintain my own guitars but I'd rather devote my little available time to playing and I'm not budgeted to pay someone else so my methods work great for me. I occasionally have stuff out. I get lazy. I love it when I have one of those days wher I have enough time to play where I can really dig into the gear and have a few axes out. Who here doesn't love being surrounded by gear? I worked for SA for over 5 years and never got bored of gear!

Mike 777 Haug

Tags
truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode