Universe and Jems for Jazz - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Universe and Jems for Jazz

Hi everyone,

What would be, under your opinion, the best dimarzio seven string pickups in a universe guitar ( neck and bridge ) if you would use it for play jazz?

And in a Jem guitar?

Please!! I need opinions!!!!! Show your knowledge!!!!!!!

Thousands of thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Pere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 12:24 PM

Re: Universe and Jems for Jazz

I like the stock Blazes in the Universe, they are very articulate and clear. For the Jem, I put Bartolinis in mine to get closer to a classic jazz sound and that worked fine.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 12:44 PM

I used a 1991 Jem 77 in music school. The old Paf Pro's worked fine for Jazz. Just turn down the treble.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay.Lucas View Post
I used a 1991 Jem 77 in music school. The old Paf Pro's worked fine for Jazz. Just turn down the treble.
+1

I find that just rolling back the tone knob (I know, what's that? LOL) helps to jazz up my JEMs and UVs just fine.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

The Blaze works... Thatīs nice, and, what about the Blaze Custom? Would it be better or bad?
( I say that because, in fact iīll have to buy them I guess.... itīs being dificult to catch a UV !! )

Has someone tried the Benedettoīs B-7īs ??? Iīve been looking....

Jim 777, how are the Bartollinis? If you had to say it in a tone chart like in the dimazioīs web?

Your help is so nice and valuable guys!! Your ears and taste work!!!!! Thanks!!!

Pere.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay.Lucas View Post
Iīve tried something like that in an old strato, but.... hmmm, something doesnīt taste well.... What pickups are you using now?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petervox View Post
Iīve tried something like that in an old strato, but.... hmmm, something doesnīt taste well.... What pickups are you using now?
The 1991 Jems had the PAF Pro's. I've never changed them. They're pretty versatile. I would think it'd be tough to produce a jazz sound on a strat. The single coils are kinda bright.

On my Ibanez 540P, I put a Seymour Duncan lil' 59 in the single coil cavity. It's pretty much a humbucker the size of a single coil. I can get jazzier tones with it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petervox View Post
The Blaze works... Thatīs nice, and, what about the Blaze Custom? Would it be better or bad?
( I say that because, in fact iīll have to buy them I guess.... itīs being dificult to catch a UV !! )

Has someone tried the Benedettoīs B-7īs ??? Iīve been looking....

Jim 777, how are the Bartollinis? If you had to say it in a tone chart like in the dimazioīs web?

Your help is so nice and valuable guys!! Your ears and taste work!!!!! Thanks!!!

Pere.
I believe the Benedetto B-7s are very similar to the Duncan Jazz7 pickups, so you might want to go that way instead of paying out the bucks for the Benny. I think that pickup is sold by its name more than its sound.

The Blaze Custom is a bridge pickup, so it's fine for that but not nearly as important for jazz as the Blaze in the neck. I'm very biased towards the Blaze neck, it's one of my all time favorite pickups, so listen to other people here If it were up to me a jazz 7 string would be done with a Blaze neck pickup

I went with the Barts because my Jem is a VWH and came with Evos, which are brighter that the PAF Pros. The Barts are beautiful and warm, like a warm low output PAF. Note seperation is superb with all Barts, so they are great for jazz; fingerstyle and soloing. I pretty much only play jazz and fusion onthe Jem, and the Barts are perfect for that. For rock or other styles I play different guitars.

One other personal thought about jazz sounds that isn't pickup related, is that I find solid body guitars go best with tube amps and hollows go best with solid state jazz type amps. Just throwing that out there.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:06 AM

Reviews: 65

The standard Blaze also works fine for me.

I also think that the Evos in my Jem 7v sound very nice playing Jazz, you just have to do some finetuning on the amps EQ differently than with standard Jazz pickups.
However I prefer the Breed equipped guitars for Jazz, but cut them back on the low frequencies.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 01:40 PM

Standard Blaze set in Universes have superior clean sound, tone down in split with single mode both ways will give you that jazzy feel. I like it a lot
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

I see that the Blaze are so well considered for that Jazz purposes!!, Even a good choice for so many other styles!!!!! Thatīs nice to hear... It confirms the amazing job that Ibanez, and VAi made.... I gues that make a seven string in that years and in that context had to put a lot of strong minds to work!!!!!

Jim 777, itīs so interesting what you say about the Bennedettoīs.... Iīve been looking at the Bartolinniīs page, they make a seven string pickup! But doesnīt say too much about how it sounds hmmmm any idea? Iīll have to search deeper for it...

Could be a good combination a Bartollinni in neck and a blaze in the mid and bridge?

In my strato i put a couple of PAFīs, in fact, Jay. Lucas is right!!! they sound pretty good, hmmm, but... I think that, even in a solid body, we could achieve something deeper.... You think so?

Itīs a shame that exept dimarzio, all the other brand that make seven string pickups, they only make it with black covers???? Have you noticed??? Itīs awfull!!!

About, the amp issue, I never heard about it!!! And it makes a lot of sense!!!
My main amp is an AER Acousticube II, know it?

What are your amps guys?, I gues that of course they are a very important element! And, how you eq them? To achieve a good soud to me with my es 335 i use to up the mids ( at 6 or 7), bass at 5 and treble to 3 or 4.

Again thanks a lot friends!!! Your ears and taste are a priceless help for me.

Pere.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Talking about the sound of some players I like soo much Iīm a big fa og Jim HAll, John Abercrombie and Mick Goodrick
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 10:26 AM

Reviews: 13

I do play jazz, and I agree to the comments above, the stock Blaze does the job, if you work with the tone knob.
Indeed, the Universe is a fine guitar to play jazz.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Jems rule!!

Tags
dimarzio , jazz , jem , pickups , universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode