Universe MC - need info before sale - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Universe MC - need info before sale

Hi. Back in 1991 i bought a Universe MC (brand new) as i was into Steve Vai so much. I've not played much since then - not at all since 1994. It's sat boxed under a bed and as it has been so long, i thought best to sell it. Thing is, i'm not now sure exactly what model it is (recipets lost years ago) or it's value. Any idea's on this would be great - what to look for on it etc. It does not have a monkey grip, or the clawed out bit where the trem housing is. Condition is as new.

Sigh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:19 AM

Reviews: 21
Re: Universe MC - need info before sale

dude, we need pics to give a half decent valuation!!! as many pics as you can........
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:22 AM

Hello and welcome to jemsite.
All universe model does not have a grip or a claw so the model is universe mc. as for value, you can check the classified section for relevant threads and see what people are asking for them, or check ibanezrules.com used or sold used sections.
Posting pictures will also help knowing if ts an ATD mc (american swirler) or an MKR mc(japanees swirler) which also effect the value.
I'm sure joining the furom just to sell your uvmc can't make you happy so I sympthaize with your sigh.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:37 AM

Reviews: 25

Pics are a must...

and read the rules if you intend on selling it on Jemsite

Good luck
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 09:20 AM

The popularity of 7 string neon swirled guitars died sometime after Vai's whitesnake era. So its probably not worth much especially without any receipts. I do however need some parts... I can take it off our hands for a couple hundred bucks. Consider it a favour for a fellow jemsiter

Not to mention the ones without the monkey grips were worth a LOT less than the monkeygripped UVMC's.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 09:25 AM

Quey, you really have to post pics. The reason being that some were swirled in the States by 'About Time Designs' (ATD) and are worth much more than the ones that swirled on the down low in Japan as Ibanez was trying to increase production. The colors on the ATD swirls are much more vibrant as well. Also, the quality of the swirl determines the value quite a bit as well.

I moved this thread to the proper forum so you can get price ideas here first before posting in the classifieds.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Hi all - thanks for the replies! Yes, i assumed photo's would be a help, so am going to post these at the weekend (or before) if i get a chance to get them - the guitar does not live with me!

How do you tell the "swirl" difference?? Is it the colours used i wonder?

Also - that sigh was just me sort of saying, don't want to sell it, but it's no use to me when someone else could enjoy........
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:14 PM

MKR swirls go for + - Euro 2500,-

ATD swirls for a lot more, depanding on the swirl.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queysoft View Post
Hi all - thanks for the replies! Yes, i assumed photo's would be a help, so am going to post these at the weekend (or before) if i get a chance to get them - the guitar does not live with me!

How do you tell the "swirl" difference?? Is it the colours used i wonder?

Also - that sigh was just me sort of saying, don't want to sell it, but it's no use to me when someone else could enjoy........
Yes, you can tell by the colors of the swirl as well as the style of the swirl.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilkyBear View Post
Yes, you can tell by the colors of the swirl as well as the style of the swirl.
As I said in the begining off the thread, go to ibanezrules.com. The gallerry has a uvmc section devided to ATD swirls and Japanese (MKR) swirls. check it out and I'm almost certain you will be able to tell which one you got under your bed.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Hi - yeah, i went to that site and i think it will be a Japanese one. It's been about 5 years since i last looked at it, but i remember more yellow than anything else and the swirl was not as vibrant as the American ones i saw. So, i guess that lowers the value somewhat? Any idea of price region at all? Pic's to follow at the weekend............
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:41 AM

You will get more money for selling it like it is, not by parts. And those beauties sell extremely good.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queysoft View Post
Any idea of price region at all?
A few posts above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosa View Post
MKR swirls go for + - Euro 2500,-

ATD swirls for a lot more, depanding on the swirl.

Tags
universe mc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode