Universe neck profiles? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Universe neck profiles?

I have owned 2 uv777bk's in the past. One a 99 and one a 00 production year. Necks were very similar in feel and felt slightly thicker than my current 1527. Do the older uv's have thinner or thicker necks compared to a uv777bk?

I'm looking to get another uv, either a pwh,777bk, or a uv777gr. Preferably I like the aesthetics of the uv777gr but have never played one(probably wont be able to find one anyways).Anyone out there own or have owned all of these for a comparison?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 11:18 PM

Re: Universe neck profiles?

I have one of every Universe, and two UVMCs.

What I can tell you is that the neck profile is not very consistent from neck to neck. My PWH and my BK have a really nice profile, while one of my UVMCs is pretty fat. The UVGR is the fattest of them all, and my other UVMC is right in the middle of the UVGR and the UVBK.

So, YMMV. You've just gotta try 'em to see if you like how the neck profile turned out.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 05:12 AM

Reviews: 3

I have a first run PWH and the neck profile has exactly the dimensions and feel of the wizard neck on my 777VDY and 777VSK but with the extra string. I have never tried other UV.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 08:08 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcord View Post
Pics?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV-7-BK View Post
Pics?
There's actually a thread. Somewhere on here.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcord View Post

What I can tell you is that the neck profile is not very consistent from neck to neck. My PWH and my BK have a really nice profile, while one of my UVMCs is pretty fat. The UVGR is the fattest of them all, and my other UVMC is right in the middle of the UVGR and the UVBK.

So, YMMV. You've just gotta try 'em to see if you like how the neck profile turned out.
I never knew the uvgr had a fatter neck. Thanks so much for responding before I spent 3k. You wouldnt happen to live near Macomb, MI ? Im staying out in Michigan (native to Michigan) for a few months.You bought that uvgr off the bay on April fools?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vy100 View Post
I have a first run PWH and the neck profile has exactly the dimensions and feel of the wizard neck on my 777VDY and 777VSK but with the extra string. I have never tried other UV.
What year is your PWH? Thats exactly the neck profile Im looking for. I play my 87 550dy mostly because I love the feel of the neck but wish it had a 7th string. Thanks.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 10:00 AM

Reviews: 3

1990. I have seen one or two for sale on the classifieds section some time ago I think vendors were fortheloveofthejems and briantxr (fellow jemsiters).
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 10:42 AM

Reviews: 6

I have a 1990 uv77mc and a 1991 uv7pwh. Out of the 2, the Mc has a slightly fatter profile than the pwh that feels faster... I also compared them to a 2010 uv777bk wich felt fat with a completely differrent profile, much less comfortable especially because of the bigger frets and More prononced thicker 'D' shaped profile.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 08:50 PM

UVGR has a fat neck? No way. I've owned every UV minus a MC & my GR has a razor thin neck compared to the others.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 AM

*My* UVGR's neck is on the fat side. revsharp777, if yours isn't it proves that the Universe neck profile is in no way consistent. You've got to play one to make sure you like the profile.

Luthier's statement above is pretty much exactly my experience. I have 5 Universes, and they each have a different neck profile. My PWH is my favorite though, it's got the best feel of them all.

jemuniverse777 - yeah, my UVGR is the April Fool's one off e-Bay. I don't live near Macomb, I'm in southwest MI, closer to Kalamazoo.

Tags
necks , universe , uvs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode