Universe neck question - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Smile Universe neck question

Hi, I'm new to this forum, 1st post here

I consider buying an used Ibanez Universe to be my 1st 7 strings guitar. I've found a recent one in mint condition, I'm waiting for more info from the vendor, including serial number and I will eventually try it.

I'd like to know more about universe necks. Since this model exists, it seems that the neck has changed: I think it was originaly a 2 pc maple, then a 5 pc maple/wenge as currently advertised on the ibanez web page. The used one I've found has a 2 pc maple neck according to its picture, it should be a 2008, 9 or 10 model (confirmation pending).
Can anyone tell me about the history of universe necks ?
Are there 2 neck types on the universe guitars ?
Is there a j craft/prestige neck vs a "standard" one ?
Which one is better: all maple or 5pc maple/wenge ?
Are there particular things to know to check the proper condition of the guitar ? Any advice apreciated.

Regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Re: Universe neck question

Hi, I got the serial number : F0034xyz. Does it mean that the guitar was made in 2000 ? Is it consistent with a full maple neck ?

Thanks.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 06:15 PM
NSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmu Burger View Post
Hi, I got the serial number : F0034xyz. Does it mean that the guitar was made in 2000 ? Is it consistent with a full maple neck ?

Thanks.
Yes, that would indicate that it was made around 2000. I cannot remember when Team J-Craft "took over" production which I believe was the introduction of the 5 pc neck. I think it was between 2003-2005 which if so, would make your Universe pre-J-Craft and a 2 pc maple neck.

The best thing to do would be to use the search feature and I'm sure you'll find a definitive answer.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for you answer, I'll try to narrow my keywords and refine my forum search.

Assuming that there are 2 eras, pre j-craft and j-craft, I think I'll try to buy a recent (4 years old max), 5pc neck, j-crafted universe.

Feel free to give me advice and point me to interresting web resources.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 03:06 PM

Reviews: 9

You want it, it's pre-5-piece. J craft is irrelevant, it's just what they started writing in Fujigen guitars. The 2 piece necks are a bit thinner and IMO a nicer shape, my 2 piece UV neck is amazing. It'll have te Lo-Pro Edge too, which is my favourite bridge Ibanez have ever made, the pro's just don't feel as good to me...

I'd go for the 2000 in all honesty.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 08:09 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun111 View Post
You want it, it's pre-5-piece. J craft is irrelevant, it's just what they started writing in Fujigen guitars. The 2 piece necks are a bit thinner and IMO a nicer shape, my 2 piece UV neck is amazing. It'll have te Lo-Pro Edge too, which is my favourite bridge Ibanez have ever made, the pro's just don't feel as good to me...

I'd go for the 2000 in all honesty.
I second that!!! my '98 neck is FAR more comfortable than the TJC. I would prefer 2-piece and Lo-Pro over 5-piece and Edge Pro any day of the week.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Well I might change my mind, then. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Is the 2pc neck as stable as the 5pc neck ?
The guitar is a "case queen", its owner told me he almost never played it and that the strings even are the original ones. Is a case queen a good point or should I worry about this ?
(I once bought a 1998 case queen french guitar wich was in superbe condition but which never convinced me -sort of an odd feeling- that's why I'm suspicious.)

I'll arrange a meeting so I can try it and see for myself anyway.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 08:18 AM

The necks are structurally sound, the very old ones all have their own little humps or warps, but 99 times out of 100 it's very slight and not in the least bit debilitating. Definitely worth a try. Check around the locking nut that there aren't any cracks in the wood. If there are and they're very small, it should be ok, if they're pretty obvious then get it checked before buying.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

OK so I met the guy and tried the guitar. Ever seen 10 years old strings ? Rust on them and on the frets ! It really had spent 10 y in the case. The body was as new. The guitar was oddly still in tune even after heavily manipulating the floyd. The wood of the neck was so dry I could ear it beg for a drop of lemon oil . The neck was slightly warp and could probably be fixed, but a couple of upper notes could not be played so I went no further.
With little work the guitar could be fantastic because, even considering the bad condition, it showed a real potential. Been there, did not want to go there again.
I did not buy it, it was too expensive anyway.

Thanks for your advices , that really helped me.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 05:12 AM

It's a shame, I had to at I'd never turn down a guitar for setup issues.

Also as a note, warps are generally left untouched, trying to fix it can cause more issues than it helps in most cases.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 10:07 AM

Reviews: 11

I like the pre- j craft necks. They're real fast it's one of my favorite things about my uv777bk
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Hi, I finally bougth a 2004 UV, very good condition and reasonable price. The only detail that bothered me was a little rust on some hardware screws but I cleaned it up easily with lubricant.
The 2pc maple/rosewood neck is very good. the guitar resonate well and has a good sustain. The floyd could be easier to manipulate but I think it's normal due to the added string tension.
I'm very happy with this guitar and I'm amazed at how easy it is to transition from 6 to 7 strings.
Thanks again for the advices.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 10:34 PM

nice man, make sure you put up some pics!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

post #7
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

post #8

Tags
ibanez , neck , universe , uv777bk , wenge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode