Universe Purchase - Taking the Plunge - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2001, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Universe Purchase - Taking the Plunge

I have the money for a new guitar and I think I am going with a seven string. And since I want something high end I am looking at the Universe. I know you all love them and what not, but would it maybe be better to get the RG 2027x. I don't really have the option of playing both so I sort of have to make a blind decision. Who has played both and can compare?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2001, 11:59 PM

Universe Purchase

I haven't played an RG2027 personally, but they are very nice guitars, I understand....I personally prefer the UV neck to the RG7620s, I assume the RG2027 has the RG7 neck....I would suggest UV, but that's because I love my UV777BK
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2001, 05:59 AM

Universe Purchase

The necks are different, it just depends what you want really... I'd give both a try, but if I'd have knoen how cool a 2027 was, I might have had second thoughts about getting the UV (or the BSB actually). I am not sure that the 2027 has the RG7 neck, because for some reason I didn't like an RG7 I played because of the neck, but did like the 2027...Try both, the piezo sounds cool and has more possibilities, but I know that I would miss having the single coil in a UV. So, I don't think I can really help! So...

Get both!
James

(Edited by 7 Dying Trees at 5:00 am on Nov. 9, 2001)
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2001, 05:18 PM

Universe Purchase

Quote:
Quote: from 7 Dying Trees on 3:59 am on Nov. 9, 2001
Get both!
James

(Edited by 7 Dying Trees at 5:00 am on Nov. 9, 2001)
:thumbsup: *Always a good compromise! *LOL
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2001, 11:01 PM

Universe Purchase

There is a 2027 in the FS section now for only $900!. *JUMP ON IT. I would if I had the extra dough, even though I got my first 2027 about a week and half ago. *The neck is perfect for me, it is not a RG7 neck, it is a prestige neck. *I have a 7620 too and the 2027's neck is wider but more natural feeling to my hands. *I love both guitars, but the 2027 is just 'the one' for me. *I know I've only had it a week and a half but I play for 5-6 hours a day so I've already got a great feel for what the guitar is. Go for the 2027!! *
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 01:01 PM

Universe Purchase

I have both the 2027 and a UV777BK. *The necks are different but it is very very slight. *The UV neck is a little bit flatter on the back. *They feel very similar and moving from one to another is not a problem at all.

Tone wise, both of mine are stock, the UV is much hotter with a more raw sound. *The 2027 is smooth and creamy, most likely due to lower output pickups and the mahogany body. *It still rocks, don't get me wrong. *The 2027 has more tonal variety available due to the piezo bridge and I like the neck pickup better than the full neck tone from my UV.

I absolutely love both of them, the UV has a very raw tone as I mentioned, and it is just full of atttitude. *THe 2027 is a more refined instrument tone wise, but can still kick some serious tail. *If I had to keep just one, it would probably be the 2027 due to the versatility...but I would feel terrible about giving up my UV, I have a much greater attachment to that guitar.

Tags
mahogany body , neck pickup , output pickup , piezo bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode