Universe question - grounding problem? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Universe question - grounding problem?

I addressed this before but got no results. *I noticed a hum when I play my UV at higher voulmes. *Never figured out what it was. *Last night when I was playing, I could hear my voice through the amp when I wasn't playing. *The guitar was picking up my voice through contact with my body and amplifying it. *When I tap in the pickguard I get a boomy noise. *I don't think this is normal. *I will have to take my guitar to a tech. *Any ideas? *Thanks.

(Edited by Leary at 3:40 pm on Sep. 9, 2001)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 03:42 PM

Universe question

Julio had something of the same problem with his JEM10. I don't know if he managed to solve the problem. Do you hear a load low frequency humming if you touch the pickups?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Universe question

Its a low frequency humming for sure. *It happens when I stop playing. *Its certainly feedback of some sort. *I wonder if the wiring was botched as I had a pickup replaced that was microphonic when I bought the guitar. *Its quite annoying.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 12:29 AM
rvj

Universe question

Do you notice if the hum comes from all three pups? If so, try a different line cord. Also verify that the cord jack is properly grounded. It could also be the wiring. I suggest looking up the schematics for your UV and compare them with your guitar. Hope this helps and keep us posted. --rvj
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 02:51 AM

Universe question

Hey.....

* *If you are hearing your voice in your amp when not playing, that describes the problem you had before . A grounding issue wouldn't create this.....a grounding problem creates buzz and hum...especially noticable when you quit touching the guitar depending on if it. It sounds to me like you have either a poorly wired up pickup, or else the pickup in question has become microphonic.

good luck with solving your problem!
A.J.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 09:40 AM

Universe question

I think AJofATTICA *is right. hearing your voice through the amp means that one (or all) of your pu's has become microphonic. Squeals and feedback are also caused by a pu being microphonic.

"Microphonics occur when any integral part of a pu loosens and becomes a source of internal magnetic induction" :glare: , or in other words, the insides of your pu are loose enough to move, and thus behaving like a microphone.

One way to overcome this problem is to encapsulate the internal structure in resin, called POTTING. When hardened, resin reduces internal shifting.
I suggest you take your baby to a tech for this potting procedure.

Cheers,
Joten
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 10:00 AM

Universe question

If you can afford to be without your pickup for a few weeks, send it back to DiMarzio.

All their p'ups have 5 yr warranty on them and their support is very very good.

They will fix it or replace it for the cost of shipping. *Be sure to call them first.

~Kenny
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Universe question

Ok I'll give that a shot. *Which schematic is the correct one for the 99 Universe? *Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode