Universe? - read.... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Universe? - read....

Hey guys, I been really thinking about what gear I want to settle down on, and the Universe really comes to mind. *I have an Ibanez RG7621 right now, but the Universe seems to play much better, and have a more versatile sound (somewhat) I do like the pickups better. *At any rate, how cheap can I get a used universe for? *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 12:09 AM

Universe?

I've seen the UV7BK's go for as little as $600 cased. *Beautiful guitars, and way nicer than the RG's.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 12:12 AM

Reviews: 12
Universe?

It certainly depends on which Universe you'd want. Aside from color variations, used UV's should range from $600 - $1000; perhaps a little bit more depending on its condition and what not.
I think i've came across a UV7BK '97 the other day for $599 while browsing some website. That's the cheapest UV i've seen so far but i'm not quite sure if the guitar itself has been sold.
Good luck finding that UV that appeals ya the most.

Reg
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Universe?

hey guys thanks for the responses so far. *If i could find a used one for 600, and it was in pretty good condition, i'd probably go for it. *color variations? *i only thought they were in the black/mirrored finish?

Well, I guess if i had an option, i'd like to get the black with creme binding, the pyramid inlays, and mirror finish. *If i could get one like that, i'd go for it most likely.

could you please tell me what to look for within these guitars?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 05:17 AM

Reviews: 12
Universe?

Quote:
color variations? *i only thought they were in the black/mirrored finish?

Well, I guess if i had an option, i'd like to get the black with creme binding, the pyramid inlays, and mirror finish. *If i could get one like that, i'd go for it most likely.
You're talking about the most recent Universe. If you're used to the RG7621, the UV777PBK will feel much different. The older UV's were "colorful" in some sense and has a thinner neck than the curent UV. What you really need to look for in a any UV is comfort.

Reg
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 11:35 AM

Universe?

I think there's a mint one up on evilbay right now for $900 w/ a case.

I got mine used mint with a case for $1300 last year. * $900 is a decent price.

~K
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 03:45 PM

Universe?

Finding a UV777BK for less than $850 would be really surprising. *The $600 UV's would typically be the UV7BK, black and green. *It's my fav UV anyway, so I'm really happy with that. *If you like the RG7620, then you would probably feel at home on a 2000 or newer UV777BK, as the neck is very similar, unfortunate to me, I really don't like my UV777BK, I'm working on a trade for *UV777GR right now. *The older UV's to me are much nicer, and personally, I like the older style neck joint as much as the AANJ, so it's really not a huge concern for me. *
At any rate, good luck with finding one!!!
Jeremy
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 08:04 PM

Universe?

Man, look no further than the UV777BK....the ultimate Universe in terms of playability and sheer classiness of appearance....I love mine to death....only thing wrong with it are the stock pickups....they shall soon be replaced by a Tone Zone 7 and an Air Norton 7, but otherwise, this UV is the ultimate....IMHO, of course....:biggrin:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 03:11 AM

Universe?

Quote:
littlegreenman on 6:09 am on Dec. 27, 2001
I've seen the UV7BK's go for as little as $600 cased. *Beautiful guitars, and way nicer than the RG's.
Yeah, a week or so ago , I saw a UV777 being sold for 650 on Ebay, go check it out maybe it's still there.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 11:31 AM

Universe?

I will gladly sing the praises of the Ibanez Universe line. Over the MANY years I have owned and played countless models and brands. I was never so pleased with one guitar as I am with the Universe.

Lately there has been a lot of “anti-Ibanez sentiment”, even here on the forum… so I have been trying many other guitars, including the expensive “designer” models... to see what all the fuss was about and to try and be open minded. None fit me as well as my Universe’s. With the exception of swapping a pickup or two, I wouldn’t change a thing about them.

If I was a 6-string player, I would speak just as highly about most of the Jem line as well. Guitar models come and go like fads. People seem to be constantly changing their preferences, but I will always keep my UV’s.

boB
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 11:42 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Universe?

sorry, i had to delete a thread due to some wierd HTML glitch that FUBARED the formatting. It should be fixed, if not we'll have to close the topic and start it new ...glen
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 10:33 PM

Universe?

I just picked my UV777BK today - paid the last $250 of $600 (uncased), but just got a UV1000C for $66.
I bought a '91 UV7BK (green dot inlay) new in '91 and loved it. *While I'm more for having big color in my guitars, I will admit that after playing this one, it grew on me instantly. *Being a big fan of the pyramid inlays over VOL inlays, *(hang on, I'm listening to my wife b#@ch about it now... OK she's gone). Anyway, for $600 it came with quite a few dings and of course, the requisite finish cracks (4 on this one), but loving blemishes give guitars distinct character, and it plays like land o' lakes. *Now next up is a '89 USA custom Silver Snake that's been sitting in a store (never owned) for the last 13 yrs ($675 with case?!?!?!), but that's a topic for another section...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 12:32 PM

Universe?

vai311,

I have a customized UV7BK that isn't being played anymore that I'd be willing to part with. *E-mail me if you're interested (pics, specs, price, etc...)

Rob

[email protected]
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 05:20 PM

Re: Universe? - read....

sup bro, ive seen truely BEAT UP uvs go for around 400$ but that was only one that some korn kid ripped ALL apart. I mean horribly ripped up. I have a black and green one im selling on the forum right now actually pm me if u have any questions. *600$ cased, players guitar*

Tags
air norton , beautiful guitar , dot inlay , neck joint , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode