Universe UV71P-WH - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Universe UV71P-WH

Hello fellows, it was a long time since I wrote in this forum, but today I want to share my experience with the Ibanez "Premium".

This was the first low budget Ibanez I ever bought, I've always been afraid of them. And my fear was just what I was afraid of.

After unboxing, the guitar was totally unplayable, the bridge was way off and the intonation was the worst I had seen. All saddles was in exact same place so the guitar was not set up at all, just mounted from the factory! I spent a couple of ours to make it to a playable.

Other things that I felt was wrong is the pyramid inlays on the neck, they are way to big compared to the original, that's strange. I own an UV777P and I know what it should look like.

I really dislike the Edge Zero 2 bridge, mostly the trem arm, but I modified it to have an original Edge trem arm instead, thanks from a tip from this forum, can't find the thread right now.

But any way I handover the bridge to a machine shop to slightly drill the hole a little bigger to fit the original edge trem arm holder. Important is to just drill 3mm down it the hole then everything fit like a glove.

Conclusion: Do not EVER buy a Premium model, period!

Here is some pictures of everything:

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 02:38 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Universe UV71P-WH

In fairness to a line of axes I loathe, you didn't post enough data or facts to really support your claims. You buy the Premium if you have a strict budget, possibly don't want to buy used and don't mind the limitations of the Premiums. Clearly there is a market (now if the execution of Premiums and the models/designs chosen actually maximize said market that is another debate)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman99 View Post
Hello fellows, it was a long time since I wrote in this forum, but today I want to share my experience with the Ibanez "Premium".

This was the first low budget Ibanez I ever bought, I've always been afraid of them. And my fear was just what I was afraid of.

After unboxing, the guitar was totally unplayable, the bridge was way off and the intonation was the worst I had seen. All saddles was in exact same place so the guitar was not set up at all, just mounted from the factory! I spent a couple of ours to make it to a playable.
No surprise here. This falls on Ibanez, the distributor and dealer. What a horrible user experience upon unboxing the axe & plugging in but this can and will happen to any MIJ Ibanez too.

Quote:
Other things that I felt was wrong is the pyramid inlays on the neck, they are way to big compared to the original, that's strange. I own an UV777P and I know what it should look like.
Not a reason in and of itself to avoid the Premiums though is it? You knew it wasn't the real UV7PWH before purchase.

Quote:
I really dislike the Edge Zero 2 bridge, mostly the trem arm, but I modified it to have an original Edge trem arm instead, thanks from a tip from this forum, can't find the thread right now.

But any way I handover the bridge to a machine shop to slightly drill the hole a little bigger to fit the original edge trem arm holder. Important is to just drill 3mm down it the hole then everything fit like a glove.
OK the trem is certainly a reason to buy or not buy an axe but you knew the trem before purchase.

Quote:
Conclusion: Do not EVER buy a Premium model, period!
To be helpful you should really review the drawbacks and post them coherently after more review. To me most annoying things about this axe to me is the trem, the white hue, the word premium on the headstock the cheap looking pickguard with black screws, the trussrod cover, the nut not matching the fb radius, etc. YMMV.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 03:30 PM

Re: Universe UV71P-WH

A friend of mine has a Premium UV and a MIJ UV. He liked the premium until he picked up his MIJ. No comparison. If you really want a good UV go with the MIJ. If you can't afford an MIJ one then getting a good luthier to do a set up of a premium one can help make it more play able.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode