Universe UV7BK #47 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Universe UV7BK #47

I just picked her up last night. She is in fairly rough cosmetic shape but she is verified serial # 000047. I have the original hang tag and inspection card. The registration hang tag has the serial number typed on it. Totally stock. There are age cracks in the paint on the body and some chips and dings but she is all original. Original case with pink interior.
I would like to get some more information on this guitar. From what I read online the first handful of these 1990 UV7BK guitars had the serial number starting with 00 and then they switched it to using 90 as the first 2 digits. I am the 3rd owner of this guitar.
Is this a guitar I should consider restoring or should I leave it as is. I will post pictures later tonight when I get home from work. I did see one selling online that was serial number 35 that was listed at almost $4000.00
What is the story on these 00 serial numbered 1990 models?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Re: Universe UV7BK #47

Well, I found a lot of info on the forum using the search feature. I wonder how many of them they made with the 00 serial number? I saw somebody on this forum with serial # 000520 so that means they made at least 520 of them before they switched to 90.
I bought this guitar for 2 reasons. #1. Its going to be a great player once I set it up correctly and it sounds amazing. #2. There can't be many of these "1st batch" UV7BK's around and its a great investment regardless of the cosmetic condition. The guy I got it from was local and it was listed for about 20 minutes before I contacted him and bought it. I figured if I waited at all I would have lost it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 10:57 AM

Congratulations on your new Universe!!!!! I can't wait to see some pics.

I wouldn't pay much attention to what you see people selling them for. People can ask for anything they want. Try to look up closed sold prices on sites like eBay and Reverb. This will tell you what people are buying them for.

Personally I wouldn't spend much thought on restoring it unless it needs a refret or the trem is worn and needs new parts. Well maybe some new tuners. The tuners on my '89 77FP are terrible, but I'm not going to bother changing them because the nut locks it in tune anyway. If you refinish it (if that's what you mean by restore) all you're doing is spending money to make it less valuable.

Seriously, enjoy your Universe!!!!!

Last edited by acstorfer; 09-21-2016 at 12:03 PM.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 11:46 AM

You should have an original Edge7 bridge on there, my absolute favorite 7 string trem, ever. That's a huge win in my book. Does it also have the single coil with slugs, rather than hex screws? It should, if memory serves. I have a PWH from the same era, as well as Gambale's hybrid Universe/FGM. I would kill for a BK and MC, from that early part of the year, to match.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 05:07 PM

Congrats on your new guitar!

Mine is #000032 and it is in very rough shape, but I don't care, I will not sell it. But maybe if someone wants to spend 4000 which I very much doubt.
It has the original Edge 7 and the single coil with slugs. From a PWH I also have I can at least tell that they have used the trem and the single coil longer than the 00xxxxx plates. But I don't know when they switched to the 90xxxx numbers.

If they switched to the others plates so early, I guess these are really the first ones they made. So you probably really have the 47th Universe ever made!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 05:42 PM

I have number 000108. I never thought too much about the "00" SN. in fact i all i remembered was that I had a 1990 and had to go check after reading your post....it turns out i have one of these also. I just got it recently and didn't pay anywhere near the $4000 mentioned above. I paid around UV7BK market value price; a bit lower actually as it was part of a package deal. Mine is minty; here she is....

Congrats on your new guitar by the way

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Mine has the Edge 7 and the slug poles on the single coil. I didn't get a chance to take pics last night due to band rehearsal but I will snap some tonight. The only reason I mentioned the approx. $4000 price tag for #000035 was I found it interesting... not realistic! Its pretty cool actually owning one of the 1st 50 UV7BK's.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

One thing I am going to do is strip the neck plate and respray it. The black paint on it is all bubbly and flakey and it makes reading the 000047 next to impossible to read unless its under the perfect indirect lighting. The body has almost body length vertical stress cracks in the paint. I would say cosmetically its a 5-6. Its been a player its entire life and the guy I got it from travelled the world with it touring.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 02:49 PM

4K! That's way too much mmoney!
I would have thought you would have paid $850 tops.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 03:42 PM
Vendor

The neck plate is plated, not painted. You won't strip the plating and will completely obscure the serial number if you paint it.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

The paint that was on my neck plate must have been sprayed on by the previous owner. It came off with paint remover and revealed the satin black plated plate. It looks great now.

Here are 2 pics. One is showing the stress cracks in the paint on the body. I have the guitar taken apart currently because I need to clean up the trem and the frets. The other pic is the warranty card showing the serial number.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:51 AM

What causes those paint stress cracks? I have one on my JemVBK running from the lions claw to the bottom of the guitar and I bought it like that.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Update... I polished the frets, touched up all the nicks, cleaned up all the parts on the trem and did a little set up on her. What a monster player. It literally plays itself. Absolutely amazing. Easily the best 7 string I have ever played. I would say its as good or better than any other Universe or Jem that I have ever owned. Loving it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode