Update on EMG JEM!!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Update on EMG JEM!!!

Finally after almost two months of waiting, my mod is done on my VWH. I have an 85 in the neck, SA singlecoil, and 81 in the bridge. I changed out the girly 8's and slapped on some 10's, and tuned it down to D standard. I must say, this is a total change of personality of my guitar. It used to be a nice singing lady, but is now closer to a mean b*tchy hot dominatrix. It has so much mean growl, it's ridiculous. It perfectly does the job that I want it to do. I was more into the "classic rock" when I bought it 2 years ago. Ever since last year when I started listening to melodic metal, I've been itching to put some EMG's on my JEM. I'm EXTREMELY satisfied with the result: immense growl and mean modern tone, incredible playability found only on a JEM, and the classy looks of a VWH. I'll post pics as soon as I get my hands on a digital camera.

TIME TO LOOK FOR A DBK NOW!!!! HEHEHE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 07:08 AM

glad you found new life in your 7VWH- congrats! it's always fun feeling like an old friend has turned into a fresh new friend!
i have a DBK and i might plan to mod her a bit - maybe a chrome vine and evo pups - time wil tell.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 04:39 PM

Did you get EMGs with white covers, or the standard black?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 01:39 AM

Reviews: 1
WOW

wow......i am also looking to put EMGs on my RG 2820. Do you think it will sound good like your JEM? Of course this is for METAL.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 08:56 AM

Reviews: 7
EMGs - Awesome

I have to say, I can't wait to see the beauty. I replaced my pickups several year ago and now all of my IBZ guitar pickups are EMGs.

EMG 85
EMG 89
EMG SA

The tones and sonics that EMGs have is amazing.

Here here for another EMG fan!!!!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

I got the white covers, of course! If I got the black ones for it, I'd shoot myself in the foot lol. That would look horrible, nasty, yuck. I'm taking a digital camera w/ me to take pics of it at band practice today.

I think the EMG's should sound good in a 2820, I'm not totally sure. The 2820 is made of mahogany, like a LP, and the EMG mod is awesome for LP's (a la Zakk Wylde), but I'm not sure for a 2820 because they don't have nearly as much body mass as a LP. Should sound good, just not 100% sure it'd be a godsend like it is for a LP.

The only reason I was sure that EMG's would be at least a good change is that EMG makes a pickguard assembly specifically for strats. And knowing that many Strats have alder bodies and somewhat similar routing, they would sound good in my VWH as well. Guess I was right.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 01:27 PM

If EMGs sound good in a Les Paul, and they sound good in a JEM, then think of EMGs in a 2820 as being somewhere between the two. Should sound great
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 01:34 PM

EMG's rule in Alder axes, I installed two 85's in my Pacifica a few years back and the results borught the guitars sound out of the beginners range in to the semi-pro sound. I had some quibles with quieting the guitars crappy hardware down for the noise, but in the whole the whole thing was a massive success.

I also Toyed with the Idea of putting 81's into a Fender strat a few months back, but welched due to cash constraints lol.

Tags
alder bodies , chrome vine , fender strat , les paul , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode