Upgrade to UV777...is it worth it? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Upgrade to UV777...is it worth it?

Hi everybody. I got a K7 with Blaze neck and bridge p/us. Can anybody who has tried both K7 and UV777, is there a huge difference of playability and sound between these two guitars? Is it worth changing a K7 with Blaze pickups to a UV777?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 11:38 AM
RCB

Re: Upgrade to UV777...is it worth it?

The K7 is very different from the UV. They both have a similar quality though. I wouldnt say the UV is better than the K7, so I wouldnt call it an "upgrade".

You should try them and decide for your self, since it all comes down to wich one you like better.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 11:47 AM

basic differences that come to mind are mahogany vs. basswood, and H-H vs H-S-H... if you can swap them with no money added do what RCB said, try them both and keep the one you like best...

if you have to put some money in, (plus the money you spent on pickups) i dont think its worth it, maybe you can sell the K7 and then shop for a cheaper UV...

in any case, good luck
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot to both of you. My main question is the neck. Does the UV have an easier playing neck than the K7? Is there a BIG difference between the playability of these two guitars?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 09:39 AM

Al olm UV...
Zaten nerden zibidik kornun gitarını aldın ki
Erkek gitarı al UV
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nienturi
Al olm UV...
Zaten nerden zibidik kornun gitarını aldın ki
Erkek gitarı al UV

yeah what he said...... Sell the K7, buy a RG1527RB, if you are looking for a configuration like a UV,,,you could have the single coil pick up routed out for the middle section. Unless you gotta have a UV. Like the others have said you should just try one out and a/b them and see which one you like best. If you are in a shop trying a UV look close for set up, make sure it's at least close. A bad set up could ruin the experience.

~A
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Allen,

I finally tried a UV. Much to my surprise, despite its gorgeous looks, it had the same playability with my K7 -both of them had a pretty close action and well setup and the same gauge strings-. Both have similar necks and dimensions. As for the sound, my K7 has Blaze p/u's too, so there wasnt a big difference.

I'll stick with my korny for a while. I understood that it is quite a guitar.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 10:06 AM

PAF's, not blazes. Close, though.

As the guys from orn used to play UV's, I'd be shocked if the neck profile was much different.

-D
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
PAF's, not blazes. Close, though.
Thats my custom thingy I didnt like PAF-7s so changed them with Blaze neck and bridge p/us. K7 sounds great with Blazes; I dont understand why they produce them PAF installed anyway..
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 03:05 PM

Red face Re: Upgrade to UV777...is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinu
Thats my custom thingy I didnt like PAF-7s so changed them with Blaze neck and bridge p/us. K7 sounds great with Blazes; I dont understand why they produce them PAF installed anyway..
I guess the guys at Korn wanted it that way (or let it be that way)... after all its their sig model...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz
I guess the guys at Korn wanted it that way (or let it be that way)... after all its their sig model...
The problem is, PAF-7s do not produce the "guitar's sound" if you know what I mean. I believe Blazes were meant to be installed on K7 as you get the most of your instrument that way. Yet, I guess that can be a matter of taste.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 05:47 AM

Smile Re: Upgrade to UV777...is it worth it?

I had gotten rid of the PAFs on my BFP after getting my UV777BK and hearing the Blaze IIs. BFP sounded like I was playing with clean tone even one the highest gain setting on my amp when I switched back from the UV. Too weak
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 05:53 AM

out of the UV and the K7 I would probably go for the K7, the only thing I don't like about it is the K-7 inlay, that said I would happily take an RG prestige 7 stringer or a J-Custom 7 stringer over a signature 7.

Tags
blaze neck , blaze pickups , clean tone , gauge strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode