US Vs Japan - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2003, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

US Vs Japan

As I live in the UK it seems that all current production models available are made in Japan. So I looked at some used Jems (777VDY and 777DY) at a local store in the hope that they were US made.... guess what.... Made In Japan!

Is US built better than Japan??

ps.. they were very nice although I thought the maple neck on the 777DY made it sound a bit Fender-esque
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2003, 08:53 AM

No JEM has ever been made in the USA. They're all Made in Japan or Korea (555).
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2003, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

I cannot believe it... hmmmm then why does this site show a US production chart?
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2003, 10:39 AM

The "US Production" chart simply refers to the models that have been available or are still available in the US. ALL JEMS and UVs have been Japanese-made, with the exception of the 555 (Korea) and the 333 (China I believe).
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2003, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Even the LNGs and your PMC chris?

ps. Why do you think the 777DY had that strat twang???
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2003, 10:57 AM
Vendor

It should be called the US "Distribution" chart

Swirled in the US or signed in the US doesn't change the "Made in Japan"
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2003, 07:30 PM

As Vai says in his Harmony Hut Satch jam video for sony

Interviewer : "Are all these guitars made in japan?"
Vai : "Heh, yeah its a japanese company"
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2003, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodandtears
ps. Why do you think the 777DY had that strat twang???
Maple.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

thought as much.... that would explain why I felt more at home with the 777VDY. The rosewood neck sounded and felt familiar, (I have a White 555 and will be getting a JEM in the next 4 weeks or so )
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Even the LNGs and your PMC chris?
Yup- they're JEMs, therefore they're manufactured in Japan.

As Rich said-"Swirled in the US or signed in the US doesn't change the "Made in Japan"
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 05:13 PM

America has made several great guitars, but as far as I know they has never been able to make them as the greatest of the japanese instruments. I have owned almost everything but the JEM beats all Fenders, Gibson or you name it. See it like this. You cant do anything with precission if you count everything in bodyparts *lol*. Ok, some strats an LP:s have been great but non of them have been close to a JEM or some other Japanese quality guitars.
Ola
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 03:18 AM

I guess Maxxas is a nice example...Designed in the US and built in Japan.
Very good quality.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 08:48 AM

Quote:
thought as much.... that would explain why I felt more at home with the 777VDY. The rosewood neck sounded and felt familiar, (I have a White 555 and will be getting a JEM in the next 4 weeks or so )
you already have a "Jem" you have a 555. Dont be embarrased about it !

i have a 555, and I love it !! great guitar !!

'specially with the Gold Hardware and OFR i have in mine
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soderberg
America has made several great guitars, but as far as I know they has never been able to make them as the greatest of the japanese instruments. I have owned almost everything but the JEM beats all Fenders, Gibson or you name it. See it like this. You cant do anything with precission if you count everything in bodyparts *lol*. Ok, some strats an LP:s have been great but non of them have been close to a JEM or some other Japanese quality guitars.
Ola
Sounds like you just haven't played the right Fenders or Gibsons

I'm as much an Ibanez freak as anybody, but as many as I've been through over the years (well over 80), I've had just as many (probably more) quality issues as I've had with the scores of various US-made guitars I've owned. Realistically, a JEM can't be compared to a Les Paul or a Strat because each guitar is drastically different.

In regards to built quality, Ibanez has certainly increased in overall quality and consistency in recent years. Are they built as well as a Custom Shop Fender or Gibson? Sure. But...they're still VERY different guitars.

If you're looking to compare Japanese-made Ibanez models to actual US-made Ibanez models, then your pretty much out of luck. The ONLY actual USA-made models are the American Master and USRG series guitars, neither of which were actually made by Ibanez
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 04:52 PM

Re: US Vs Japan

Have to agree... I have come across a few a Les Paul standards that I would kill for, and I'm a huge Ibanez fan.... the problem is you just have to go through a few to find one of the good ones lol. On that Les with the 60's shaped neck I could play anything. I also have a old USA Charvel Birds Eye/Koa guitar that will make you think twice as well The Yngwie strat is pretty flippin' awesome.... there are some Suhr guitars that will blow away all of our stuff lol(I'm very interested in getting my guitars pleked). Those guys are on the very edge of guitar technology as well.

Tags
custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , custom shop gibson , custom shop guitar , guitar tech , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , les paul , les paul standard , maple neck , neck joint , production model , rosewood neck , suhr guitars , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode