Used 93' Jem7V vs Brand New 04' Jem7V - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
V

Used 93' Jem7V vs Brand New 04' Jem7V

I am wondering to buy which one, any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 07:17 AM

I've got a '93 7VWH and it's a great guitar...sure the inlays still contain a lot of filler and the leaves aren't as shiny, but maple they used for the old U-shaped neck is simply massive, which gives it a very thick and full tone. The lo-pro with locking studs is great, and I prefer the feel and creaminess of that one to the Edge Pro. Older Evos vs new I don't know. The ebony fretboard works nice for real percussive legatos or tapping and sustaining harmonics, something you can work with or you can't. Sure there are people on this forum that have both :P
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 03:44 PM

04 s are just great. i have never had the chance of playing earlier ones, but when i have money (hope it will be soon) i'll buy one from here. but i say go with the 93... you can always find a 04.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 03:59 PM

I would buy the '03 simply because it was first year production and it has an ebony fretboard. You might even get a good deal on it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 08:06 PM

'93.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 05:20 PM

A rumour says that the first two production years of the VWH were the best.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 01:17 PM

The 93's aren't a better build quality than new ones; in fact I've heard the exact opposite a number of times. I think the comment I hear most often about the 93's is that they're overly expensive just because they're first year. You very likely not only won't get a deal on a 93, but you'll pay more for a 93 than any other year despite possibly spotty quality control. The new ones are built to tighter tolerances than the 93's were, so I think you'd be foolish to buy an 11 year old instrument (and possible chip & ding collection) over a brand new better quality instrument. I'd also personally much rather have ebony than rosewood on my fretboard, but I wouldn't buy the old one here. For the same price? The new one with the rosewood board all the way. Especially if you can only afford to buy one of them (these are not collectors items, they make thousands of them)

jim
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 04:10 PM

i guess its 93 for me.. nothing againts 04 models, but 93 sounds like a good year. haha. =). still its 93 for me. hope you'de make a good choice and be happy with it!

Tags
ebony fretboard , locking stud , locking studs , rosewood board

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode