UV Conversion? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
UV Conversion?

Hey all. I'm still trying to get an Ibanez, and I've decided if I don't get this UV7BK i'm eyeing, I'm thinking of getting a RG7320 and converting it. I have a luthier up here who could make me a neck for a good price. Anyone every try this undertaking? It seems there are more JEM conversions than UV ones. I'm thinking I want a UV first so I can have some more versatility in my playing. A six string will come later. Let me know if anyone has any ideas/thoughts/emotional outbursts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:35 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: UV Conversion?

I'll press the fast forward button for you and tell you what's likely going to happen.

You will buy a 7320 and then have a luthier build a custom neck for it. You will likely want to upgrade pick ups, but even without that you'll be within a few hundred dollars of being able to afford a used UV7BK.

You will get bored of it over time and the hunger you feel for that Uv7BK will return.

You will buy a Uv7BK. You will be happy with it

You will then realize you shouldv just done that in the first place.

I've bee in the same shoes man. Customs are nice when you want something unique, but if you're expecting the quality, feel and tone of that Universe, it's going to be hard to emulate perfectly and even if you did, you're still going to want a real universe.

Go for it if you want to, but on the other hand just save up some more money on top of what you had projected to spend and you should be able to afford one in no time. I see them float around the 900-1400 range all the time. More often than ever, you can get a nice example for like 1200. I know it seems like a lot, but they are fantastic. I once had the chance to pick up a nice 01' and I missed my chance. None of the ones i have played since have gotten to me like that one did.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

I should probably elaborate a bit more: I'm gonna do the conversions over a period of time, and i'm not gonna convert it to a UV7BK, but a UVMC, which I am convinced should be a military acronym

But I know what you mean. I plan on getting rich someday and amassing a collection of all the JEMS and UVs, or just the ones I like, at least.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 PM

Reviews: 6

You don't have to be wealthy to have just one UVMC, but you have to be RICH to have most of them. Ahh... jemsite humor. Seriously though, people underestimate the difference these guitars have in terms of quality. Il take 1 Universe over 10 RG7320's

It's your money anyways
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Maybe you're right. I'm gonna see what I can find. Thanks
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 03:00 PM

Reviews: 2

I'll agree that there is no replacement for an original UVMC......

BUT.....

A person can save a BUNCH of money making one of their own. I wouldn't start with a 7320 though. If you were to start with a 7620 your getting a guitar that already has a UV neck (minus inlays), UV pickups (Blaze), and UV hardware (Lo-Pro7, Gotoh tuners, Gotoh nut). With minor body work, a pickguard, a paint job, and some wiring changes you'll have a UV.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 03:07 PM

7620 doesn't have Blaze pickups or a UV neck, and unless he's going to do all the work himself, he likely won't save any more and will end up spending more
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
7620 doesn't have Blaze pickups or a UV neck, it's also a different wood
You're right, but it looks like it would be an easier conversion. Good stuff all around.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 04:26 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
7620 doesn't have Blaze pickups or a UV neck, and unless he's going to do all the work himself, he likely won't save any more and will end up spending more
Yes, it does........

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/..._id=237&now=19
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 05:55 PM

If you're convinced that you want to have a collection of Jems and UV's, just get a UV777BK and be done with it. You can get them pretty cheap. Later buy a UVMC when you get rich.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post

Not sure what that shows, the pickups arent Blazes in the 7620 and the neck isnt bound and the fretwire is different. The 7BK now has a 5 piece neck, the 7620 doesnt

http://www.jemsite.com/articles-menu...-rg-w-tremolo/
http://www.jemsite.com/articles-menu...tring-guitars/

Jemsite is a great place for information on ibanez guitars
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:36 AM

Not to be argumentative, but a lot of the info on this site is wrong.

The RG7620 was produced from 1998-01 and had Blaze pickups. Here's a catalog cut:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/...t_id=231&now=6

But still, the pickups would be the wrong color and the middle pickup route would be missing. This guitar would have a very long way to go to make a UVMC conversion. Better to just get a UV777BK now since they're inexpensive and save your nickels for the genuine article.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
If you're convinced that you want to have a collection of Jems and UV's, just get a UV777BK and be done with it. You can get them pretty cheap. Later buy a UVMC when you get rich.
CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!! what ya talkin about???????
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Not to be argumentative, but a lot of the info on this site is wrong.

The RG7620 was produced from 1998-01 and had Blaze pickups. Here's a catalog cut:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/...t_id=231&now=6

But still, the pickups would be the wrong color and the middle pickup route would be missing. This guitar would have a very long way to go to make a UVMC conversion. Better to just get a UV777BK now since they're inexpensive and save your nickels for the genuine article.
Looking at that picture of Munky, is that an Apex prototype? I didn't realize he had that guitar back then.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

I'm still deciding what to do. I'm young, i've got time. Like that ad, thou.

Tags
conversion , universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode