UV pickguard seems to have changed - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2003, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

UV pickguard seems to have changed

Check this out...long post - get comfy.

I ordered an aftermarket pickguard from Chandler for my UV. I was going to replace the cheesey mirror on my '99 777BK - I ordered a white one and Alden/YaYoGaak was going to swirl it for me (he gone quite swirly mad, ya know).

After a long wait, the pickguard arrived at his house. He sent me an e-mail saying that it didn't fit quite right on his UV777DY (the custom one). It also bothered him that the pickguard didn't have the beveled edge like the stock ones do. Here's what it looked like laid over his guitar:

After much deliberation, I decided that I'd have him send me the plain white one and I'd use it as a temporary replacement while i sent him the mirror for swirling. After the project was complete, I'd send him back the white one to sell as a project for a Jemsiter who might not care as much.

I received the plain white one in the mail today and laid it over my UV and it fits perfectly .

My best guess is that they changed the shape slightly when they changed the neck joint to AANJ.

Since it fits right, I can live without the beveling. Question is now...do I send him back the white one for my swirl and sell the mirror as-is (it's got a few minor cracks which will 'disappear' when swirled) or do i go with the 2nd plan and have the original mirrorguard swirled and sell the white one for somebody's project?

What would you do?

Also, do you think that there would be more of a market for the mirrored one or for the white one?

~K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2003, 05:09 PM
Vendor

You can clearly see where the trebble side cutaway ends at the 21st fret on the block joint and between the 22nd and 23rd on the AANJ. They also changed the trem covers and drilled the center holes in a different spot.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2003, 05:54 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
the AANJ pickguards are different than the non-AANJ pickguards.

i forsee zero market for that ugly/plain white guard... swirl that and sell the mirror one... glen
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2003, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
the AANJ pickguards are different than the non-AANJ pickguards.

i forsee zero market for that ugly/plain white guard... swirl that and sell the mirror one... glen
The plain white one would obviously be sold as an 'Alden will swirl this for you for $x' kinda thing. I get my money back on the guard and he gets something for swirl. I wouldn't expect anybody would want a white guard.

I'm leaning in the direction of swirling the white one for myself anyway though.
~K
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2003, 06:54 PM
EKG

Swirl the white one and sell the mirrored one.

On the AANJ, 6 and 7 string, they are cut deeper as Rich mentioned. I remember a while back , some of us debating that very topic. The pics are the proof :-)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2003, 06:57 PM
Vendor

Definately swirl the white. The swirl needs to be on white to bring the colors alive
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2003, 09:36 PM

Are you sure about the 6's? I know the Universe guard changed but when I ordered a 6 RG guard from Roger Jeannie I expressed this concern and he told me the 6's guard didn't change.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2003, 10:06 PM
EKG

Yes, I am positive. I have both body types and both pickguard types here.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 03:14 PM

There are also inconsistincies on the truss rod cover with Universes. When I went to order one from a vendor (Jeannie Pickguards if I remember correctly) he needed to know the exact year because there seemed to be discrepancies between even the years on different models.

The Universe is not Universal....
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 04:11 PM
EKG

Hmmmm?

Strats are known to have mounting screws in different positions, but UV's/JEM's have been fairly consitent through the years. I haven't found truss rod or cavity covers to vary at all.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 02:48 PM

Alright Kenny,I've been away for awhile but Swirl the white un :-) Psssst I could still be persuaded to buy the chrome/mirror one off you (from ages ago if you recall) Errr think i still have the PM too lol

Regards

Rob
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

I believe there are 3 people interested in the mirror (for reasons that are way beyond me :P )

When the time comes, i'll put up an ad and you guys can all bid on it.

~Kenny
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 09:08 PM

Bet they've put a 99 pickguard on my 2000-model UV or something...wankers...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 05:33 AM

Ooooo a bidding war :-) fair enough,i'll have to keep checking in :-)

Rob

Tags
cavity cover , jeannie pickguards , neck joint , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode