UV pickup help - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

UV pickup help

I've seen references on the boards here to someone having posted sound clips of a UV loaded with Blaze II's compared to the same UV loaded with EMG 707's. Does anyone know where I could find these?

I own a UV77MC a UV77BK, a UV77GR, and a UV777BK. The UV777BK is the black sheep of the family because it sounds so much different than the other UVs that I can't use it live or in the studio. Did Ibanez radically change the pickups for the UV777BK or do something to the body to radically affect the tone? I play through a Mesa triple recto and I have a great crunch when playing my other UVs (ESPECIALLY the GR). My 777BK on the other hand is very open and midrangish with more of a smooth bluesy tone and no "twang". It sounds great, however it doesn't sound anything like the Universe sound that I am accustomed to.

I'm considering switching to EMG 707s because I'd really like to play this guitar live. I'm just wondering what affect the 707s would have on my tone. I really just want the 777BK to sound like my other UVs - should I simply try to find a BlazeII from another UV?

Of my UVs the 777BK is the ultimate playing wise - it plays like a dream and I LOVE the neck! However I'm a full time player and the sound of the guitar is so much different than my other UV's that the instrument is unusable to me for playing live. What should I do?

-Lance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 06:42 PM
EKG

As far as I know, there were no changes on the UV's and according to Dimarzio there were only Blazes, no Blaze II's. I don't see why it would sound different....hmmmmm? There is a member here, archer, that I know has EMG7's in his UV's. Try dropping him an e-mail, see what he says ;-)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 10:41 AM

It's important to mention that the 707's will require routing of the body and either carving the pickguard or having one made to fit the pickups.

My UV777BK is kind of like the way you described; tonally mid-rangey and open which lends itself for a very smooth tone.

I would suggest possibly trying pickups with less destructive installation requirements before going with the 707's.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 11:30 AM

The tone from the UV777BK stock p'ups got old for me really fast.
I now have an Evo7 in the Bridge and a PAF7 in the neck.

It's warm, thick & fat

I have recorded a few things with it if you want me to e-mail them to you.

~K
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 10:51 PM

say kenny, do u still have those blaze's layin around ?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan7620
say kenny, do u still have those blaze's layin around ?
Gosh - I sold them so long ago, I don't even remember to whom i sold them! Sorry

~K
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 02:46 AM

My UV777BK sounds a lot different than my UV7PWH. Apart from the fact that there's a lot more wood in the neck of the new BK than the old Uni's, I emailed Dimarzio asking them what was up. They informed me that the pickups are identical but they claimed it is understandable that the 10 year aged pickups sound different than the 2 year aged ones. I dig the way the BK sounds though. Since my wife recently bought me a '97 all black Uni (getting swirled by Herc right now) I'm going to replace the pickups in that with probably an Evo7 bridge and Air Norton 7 in the neck and add a push/pull tone for coil tapping so all three of my Uni's will have unique sounds. Oddly enough, the '97 sounded identical to my '90 while the '98 sounded different. The only thing I can say is maybe it's the thicker neck or Dimarzio changed something they aren't admitting to.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 07:19 AM

The EMG thing is pretty fun... in fact this might be a good time to break a little announcement... Slanman if you are around here, your's is done. What we have done with Slanman's UV is a 707 in the bridge and a 35TW in the neck, which acts like a splitable 707. Sounds really nice in single mode.

Anyway, I kinda go with both. I have EMG's in several guitars, but that's a certain sound. I also have some various passive models for the same reason... I recently tried the Duncan Jazz 7 and it was cool, but a bit muddy for my tastes. The JB is a current favorite in my house... Anyway, good luck with the search for the perfect pickups!

Tags
air norton , coil tap , coil tapping , pull tone , triple recto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode