UV problems - Not getting on with my new 777BK - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

UV problems - Not getting on with my new 777BK

As i have mentioned here, I got my UV777BK last week, and initially loved it. Lots of fun playing with that bottom B, being able to play those few little bits on P&W properly etc etc.

However, after a week of plaing like crazy, I am not getting on as well as I would have hoped and, last night when I dug out the old Jem, it felt SOOO much better.

While the width of the neck is an obvious difference, it is more the profile of it that is affecting my playing, my thumb just doesn't seem to feel right on that big flat section......

Maybe it's just not the right thing for me, or it will take a little more time, but right now, there may be a UV777BK on sale pretty soon....

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 10:30 AM

UV problems

Don't feel bad Pete...

It happens. *You tried something new and you didn't like it. *Granted, it'll probably cost you a few bucks in resale loss, but you live, you learn.

I took a chance when I bought my UV - it was a cool guitar at a nice price, but I'd never played or even thought of playing a 7 string. *It was a spur of the moment thing.

Fortunately for me, I did find comfort in it right away and it became my main axe for about 2 months until I got my first Jem. *Yes, it's my 'secondary', but it still comes on every gig with me and absolutely gets plenty of playtime.

Good luck whether you keep it or sell it!
~Kenny
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 12:10 PM

UV problems

It worked out just the opposite for me. I started playing my UV and now I have difficulty playing a 6-string. They just feel too small and delicate in my hands.

I guess everyone is different. I suggest going back to the Jem if it suites you better. I donít know how you are sitting financially, but you could always keep the UV tooÖ for those occasions that call for a 7-string. Besides, they are pretty.

I think everyone should have at least one 7-string Ibanez.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

UV problems

Unfortunately, I am not really in a position to keep lots of guitars at the moment, as I need every penny I can lay my hands on to buy stuff for the new sound engineering business. I bought the UV with the intention of selling off some of the other guitars, but I guess it will just be the UV going...though I will have to see what money i get for bits and pieces first. Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have a JS on the way too....why is it that guitars are so tempting?

Pete
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 01:29 PM

UV problems

After playing my UV, I will pick up a six string and it feels like my fingers can fly all over the fret board.
For me, it's like a batter (in baseball) taking a few practice swings with a weighted batting donut. When they take the donut off, it feels so much lighter and swinging seems a lot easier.
I really want to like my UV77MC so I keep trying it. Seven strings might not be for everyone.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 02:13 PM

Reviews: 14
UV problems

I'm in the same boat as Bob. But it is a sweet-ass boat!

I cannot play 6-string guitars anymore.

They feel like playing on a broomstick.

Give it time, play it often. try to implement both a 6 and a 7 into your practice schedule to get you used to both..
Robbie
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 02:15 PM

UV problems

Quote:
Quote: from big al on 11:29 am on Sep. 24, 2001
...I really want to like my UV77MC so I keep trying it. Seven strings might not be for everyone.
Another UVMC on the market canít be a bad thing. :biggrin:

MAS = MC Acquisition Syndrome. I'm not as bad a Rich... yet.

bob
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 02:45 PM

UV problems

My 6 string hasn't seen action in over a year. *I ended up selling my RG 560 because I knew I'd never play it again. *2 hours was all it took for 6 string to feel very strange.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 05:20 PM

UV problems

I still play both, but honestly, I feel limited on a 6 string now. There are so many scalar possibilities with a 7 string that just don't exist with 6.

I will probably buy some 6 strings in the future, but for now, I only see myself purchasing 7's.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 09:37 PM

UV problems

Pete,

Don't be discouraged...and don't be hasty!

I sold my UV after only a week. *I got it the same time as my first Jem, and familiarity made me played the Jem a whole lot more.

Then I sold my UV to purchase another Jem, and I miss that uniqueness, that ability to for different places with my playing.

I'll be getting another UV soon.

Chris
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 05:56 AM

UV problems

Stick in there for a while! Give it another few goes, I had to actually change the way I played to feel comfortable on my UV, in the long run it has benefited both my 6 and 7 string technique and now I am a better player for it. If you just hang in there a while then you might find it does get better. The position you hang the guitar at makes a difference as well, try shortening the strap.

I do feel more limited on a 6 now, but still enjoy playing my Jem, even though the neck feels like a twig...

Hang in there for a while longer, if you really don't like it after a while then sell it, but only if you are sure.

You won't lose too much dinero on it if you sell it in england, as it would have been more expensive new here anyway, so don't worry too much...
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 02:44 PM

Reviews: 5
UV problems

For me, it's like a batter (in baseball) taking a few practice swings with a weighted batting donut. When they take the donut off, it feels so much lighter and swinging seems a lot easier.
[/quote]
*I like that anology.I've said it many times myself,except I'll do it with heavy strings. The week before a show, I'll
slap on a set of 10s or 11s(ok, maybe not THAT heavy),
then, day before or day of the show, I'll go back to my regular 9s or9.5s.
* * I'm sorry if this is too far off the subject.Anyone else do this, or something similar?
* * * * * *Also, if anyone feels I should start a seperate thread about this,I understand.I just wanted to get that quote.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 09:52 PM

UV problems

Pete - A JS coming aswell? What kind???
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

UV problems

Just a JS100 - a friend bought it for me in the states a few weeks back - will be bringing it with him when he comes over at the start of October...

Would have bought the grand total of guitars to 13, but 'market forces' (ie the fact that i am skint) means i will be selling a few on....

Pete
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 02:17 PM

UV problems

If you have a used 7V for sale, let me know!

Tags
fret board , les paul , string guitars , string necks , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode