UV & RG 7 string owners help needed - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

UV & RG 7 string owners help needed

Hi, I would like to approach the Universe... would you help me ?

I've got a RG74520 (with the original lo-trs seven string bridge) it is a very great japanese guitar and i'm proud to get one.
i have the opportunity to change it... but for the EDGE PRO SEVEN. my lo-trs is hard without flexability and doesn't keep the tuning right.

The lo-pro seven bridge are harder to find and are expensive. i live in france and it's hard to find "this" specific bridge on international web market. so a luthier proposed me the edge pro 7 around 150 euros (new).
Is my opportunity really interesting according to you guys or not ?
is the edge pro seven really better than the (old) lo-trs seven or not ?
You people who have seven string guitars family/collection, would you right advise me please.

PS : yes, i use floyd rose when i play my rg7420 but i prefer the quality of the lo pro edge of my rg550ltd so :

" would i get the same pleasure with the edge pro seven on my rg7420 like i get with the lo pro edge on on my 550 ? " change or not change th lo-trs 7 ?

thanks by advance.

manta.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 08:13 AM

Re: UV & RG 7 string owners help needed

I personally think the Edge Pro is, from a functional standpoint, every bit as good as the Lo-Pro. Certainly, it would be a big step up from a Lo-TRS. I will say that 150 euros (around 200 US dollars) sounds very cheap for a new Edge Pro 7, are you sure you know exactly what you're getting?

The other issue will be mounting the bridge to the guitar. I can't find any definite information on the swap, but I would strongly suspect that at least a small amount of routing will be required as the existing route may not be large enough for the Edge Pro.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohns74 View Post
I personally think the Edge Pro is, from a functional standpoint, every bit as good as the Lo-Pro. Certainly, it would be a big step up from a Lo-TRS. I will say that 150 euros (around 200 US dollars) sounds very cheap for a new Edge Pro 7, are you sure you know exactly what you're getting?

The other issue will be mounting the bridge to the guitar. I can't find any definite information on the swap, but I would strongly suspect that at least a small amount of routing will be required as the existing route may not be large enough for the Edge Pro.
i'lm positive, it's a edge pro seven that he would like to sell me, the luthier order it on thomann for a customer who did not want it at the end.
is it your personnal experience which say that edge pro is equal to the lo-pro edge ? why ibanez get the lo-pro edge seven back on the universe (namm2010) ?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaworld13 View Post
is it your personnal experience which say that edge pro is equal to the lo-pro edge ? why ibanez get the lo-pro edge seven back on the universe (namm2010) ?
Because they've ceased production on all Edge Pros in favor of the Edge Zero. Popular theory is that they needed the artist's okay to put the Zero on signature models and Vai and Satriani both denied it. There is always the remote possibility, however, that they decided to listen to the very vocal minority out there that have been crying for these old bridges to return for years.

However, even if the Edge Pro was removed because it's a crappy bridge, it doesn't change my personal opinion that it's a perfectly fine alternative to a Lo-Pro. There is a fair amount of mixed opinion on the issue, but it's worth noting that I've seen some people that actually prefer the Edge Pro for various reasons. I don't believe anyone PREFERS the Lo-TRS, so take that for what it's worth.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

ok, thank you so much for your advice, i will sell my lo-trs before and get get a better bridge.

manta.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 05:23 AM

Just try to fit some locking studs for the Edge Pro and you'd be very very happy with the trem!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedout View Post
Just try to fit some locking studs for the Edge Pro and you'd be very very happy with the trem!
but a question : is it the same space between the two screws of the bridge : lo pro, edge pro, lo trs ? no matter the ibanez bridge ???

Tags
edge pro 7 , lo-trs , steve vai , universe , uv7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode