UV - Strings breaking - help!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation UV - Strings breaking - help!!

Greetings!

As said in the title, got a serious issue with the strings breaking on my UV. They always break on the saddle top, usually only 2 weeks - tops a month after i change the set.

So, to describe the situation a bit:

* My Lo-pro Edge is locked and i dont use the thing anymore at all, kinda snapped out of it, so the "bending", "twirling" etc, aint the reason.

* I use Elixir Custom Light 0.09-0.46 strings with a bit different set up being: D-A-D-G-B-E-D, ie. I got an extra thin 0.09 string (tunned to D) instead of the classical wounded 0.46. Kinda my thing.

* Despite playing some heavier things (a kind of crossovered prog HC) im a "very gentle" player so to say, aint really proned to rocking the thing too much.

* Some 80% of the distortion lines (60% of playing time) are palm muted.

So with the strings breaking at the saddle (usually during a concert), i kindly ask for some suggestions about the possible solution of the issue.

Sincere thx for your ideas!
sbz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:20 PM

Re: UV - Strings breaking - help!!

Just curious do you setup the guitar or a luthier? The reason why I say this is when it comes to floating trem guitars tuning it D can really affect the tension of the strings. They have to be set up right. also try using different strings like didarrios. Im not too familiar w 7 strings but I have had experienced with floating trems and broken strings were always an overt manifestation of a shoddy setup.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 05:29 PM

Could be your hand chemicals - if you don't already, try to change your habits to include a wipe-down of the strings soon/right away after playing. Many players report a dramatic improvement in string longevity when doing this.

Could also be some tiny burring on the saddles themselves (divots from the strings digging in over time). That could mean some fine metal working to smooth out (perhaps a tech's job, if you're not so inclined).

Do you bend a lot in your playing style?
I do, and it's brutal on the strings.
Are there particular strings that break more than others that you can focus on, should there be burrs involved?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 06:51 PM

I had the same problem in my JEM7PBK back when I gigged with it. I used standard tunings but always managed to break the D and/or G strings, right at the same place. Had an expert look at the guitar and he told me that the trem was set up fine and it was not the cause of the problem. Tried changing the brand of strings, ensuring I cleaned them after each set etc, nothing worked.

As a last resort I modified my playing style to be a little less hard on the strings, and it worked. The problem in my case was that I tended to play harder because I was having trouble hearing myself on stage. I didn't even realise I was doing it. Since I changed my playing style, the problem has gone away.

You've said you don't hammer it too much so not sure if this help you or not, but that's what worked in my case
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 08:04 PM

Reviews: 2

Hi Shabbe, Welcome to Jemsite!!!!

To be honest, 2 to 4 weeks on a set of strings is average for a guitar that is played everyday....... I rarely get more than a month out of a set of strings (although I rarely have breakage) I would suggest that you first try using the gauge of strings that Ibanez originally installed on your guitar. They would be D'Addario XL Nickel round wound Extra light set for 7 string... they are gauged from .009-.054.

If this does not help (I think it will help a lot) I would suggest you post some VERY detailed pics of your bridge WHILE it's strung up and under tension......

Ryc
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

First of all, thx gents for your fine ideas! I appreciate it alot, every idea is useful since i have no ideas of my own anymore about how to fix the situation.

@Mozi:
The trem is locked, so it doesnt influence the tension at all. Prior to locking i had a few "exotic" setups with my trem, which were all a complete fail.

@steve:
I thought of that tbh, the sweat is very agressive on the strings, even to the chrome parts of the trem where the palm muting takes place. But that i cannot do much about i suppose, except wiping and cleaning the thing every time.

The guitar was already at techs, a master of his trade, fixed everything, also fine sanded the saddles. Interestingly right after his job the thing worked was very stable, just recently it went out of normal again.

I dont bend that much tbh, a few solos here and there, but nothing mayor. Well its all the strings from A (0.36) downwards, D string (0.46) never brakes.

@Crankyitguy
Im really very gentle on her, compared with when i play say a strat which can be pounded crazy and still remain stable.

@RGTFanatic
Darn, i will try that. Should work fine on dropped D tunning I suppose.
I will post pics.

Just a small question. I googled a bit and found a few replies saying "dont tighten your strings too much at the saddle point, youll be surprised how little they need"; i must admit i do tight them fully and didnt think of anything else to be honest. Naturally i do understand metal (strings) gets deformed thus probably accelerating the breakage at the same very point every time.

Thx again gents!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 05:21 AM

How about using larger gauge strings as your tuning down a whole step anyway you will have more tension so they will feel more like the 9's would on a standard tuned seven ONLY you would have to set up again. I have a strat 13-58 tuned half step low and bending is no problem the strings stay where they were when picking so playing fast is actually easier, I couldn't believe it. Maybe try some 10's or hybrids if the other great suggestions don't work. as you are probably more than aware the thicker gauge strings are better for playing down tuned music as they tighten the sound up considerably rather than flapping around like pieces of spaghetti over your fretboard. I hope this helps. Cheers
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

@Out of this
Actually i dont tune down a whole step, its just classical dropped D tunning adapted with an additional thin D (0.09) as the 7th string.

But you are right, i should try a bit heavier gauge. Gonna see how those original strings as proposed by RGTFan will perform.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbe View Post
@Out of this
Actually i dont tune down a whole step, its just classical dropped D tunning adapted with an additional thin D (0.09) as the 7th string.

But you are right, i should try a bit heavier gauge. Gonna see how those original strings as proposed by RGTFan will perform.

Sorry mis-read your tuning
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:26 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out Of This Swirled View Post
How about using larger gauge strings as your tuning down a whole step anyway you will have more tension so they will feel more like the 9's would on a standard tuned seven ONLY you would have to set up again. I have a strat 13-58 tuned half step low and bending is no problem the strings stay where they were when picking so playing fast is actually easier, I couldn't believe it. Maybe try some 10's or hybrids if the other great suggestions don't work. as you are probably more than aware the thicker gauge strings are better for playing down tuned music as they tighten the sound up considerably rather than flapping around like pieces of spaghetti over your fretboard. I hope this helps. Cheers

I actually think that this is a VERY good idea... especially because your not a lead player.... moving up in gauge will give you a stronger string and a more solid rhythm tone.

Tags
breaking , strings , universe 777 uv777

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode