UV trem detuning string question - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Angry UV trem detuning string question

Hi,

Ok, this is the issue. I have a black '97 UV that is my main guitar. (Best guitar I ever had) My UV's (low pro) trem works flawlessly, but when I make a bombdive, the 3rd string (G) becomes *higher*, it detunes UP. When I stretch the string by hand by pulling on it, it recovers it's tuning. Could this be a saddle issue? The rest of the strings don't detune, only the G and when I press the trem down, when I pull on it, no detuning. I made sure the lock at the neck is firmly secured.

The UV has been sleeping in its case while I was in Mexico for 5 months. The issue started when I got back. Its a nuicance and I want it solved asap. I play guitar for 36 years and have had countless trem guitars which I set up myself. Even installed a few trems myself in the past from scratch, but I don't seem to be able to find what's wrong with it.

Anybody?

Thanks in advance for any useful input.

Regards,

JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 11:47 AM

Re: UV trem detuning string question

it's the UV curse ! : you let it alone and unplayed for a few months ? Now pay your mischief !

G strings are the luthiers' nightmare ! first, try to replace it
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 11:50 AM

Did you tighten the bolt that holds the saddle in place? Sometimes they come loose...
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbzTech09 View Post
Did you tighten the bolt that holds the saddle in place? Sometimes they come loose...
It is tight yes. I also changed the string and put up a fresh one (Dean Markley Blue Steel .016) but to no avail... I think I'll get the whole trem off and clean it. the thing is dirty as hell If that doesn't resolve the issue, as an experiment I'll swap the saddle with the B string one and see if it keeps happening.

Thank you for your input. It is much appreciated. I'll be playing live again soon, and I definitely want to use my UV since it is my main guitar.

I hope that maybe Rich knows what could be causing this...

*crosses fingers and hopes for some input from Rich*

Regards,

JP
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Banned

I had this happen to me on my Jem,
I discovered that the nut and the lock down ha become slightly worn
so the sting would slip in the lock and the tension of the string between the nut an machine head would equalize.
I scuffed up the bottom of the sting lock piece and made it extra tight when went to lock down the g string, and the problem cleared up
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manticore View Post
I had this happen to me on my Jem,
I discovered that the nut and the lock down ha become slightly worn
so the sting would slip in the lock and the tension of the string between the nut an machine head would equalize.
I scuffed up the bottom of the sting lock piece and made it extra tight when went to lock down the g string, and the problem cleared up
Thanks! I will give that a try!

Regards,

JP
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 11:04 PM

Reviews: 30

Strings lost their "memory" if they aren't played and stretched frequently enough, if it's not a nut issue or something like that, it sounds like it's simply needing to be re-stretched as well as the others. The G may not be the problem string. I've had some of the wound strings seem to stay up to pitch but cause another smaller one to fall flat if not stretched like crazy.

Tags
detune , low pro , trem issue , uv '97

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode