UV -VS- Jem - I know its kind of a silly Q. BUT... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
UV -VS- Jem - I know its kind of a silly Q. BUT...

Hey guys,

* I know this is a stupid question... and can't REALLY be answered. but, I am in alaska. and can't find a Jem ANYWHERE to play to see if i like it or not. One of my local dealers has a UV though. I LOVED it. Felt RIGHT at home. loved the neck and the pickups. it felt incrediable to me. Now my question is..

How does the difference in pickups and wood effect the tone? how much different do they sound? And i realize that the necks cant feel anywhere the same, but if you made a 7 string Jem neck... how different would it feel compared to the UV neck? Thank guys. anythign will help. I am deffinatly gonna pick up a VWH or a UV777 soon so i would like to know how I would like the Jem.

Just act like you guys know me and everything..... just say which i would like better, even though its completely un rational.

and sorry for the sloppely worded, and spelled post. I'm dead tired and am suffering from some serious allergy's right now so i dont really care much. thanks again.

JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 10:22 AM

UV -VS- Jem

You really can't compare the two (UV777BK & VWH) because they both have different pickups , different fretboard wood, different bodies. They both are awesome guitars. I have a Universe and love it but if I were to get another six string I would definately go with the VWH. It might be a pain in the a$$ but If I were you I would take the time and drive somewhere where you can play both guitars. Don't make a purchase half ****ed because if you do and decide you want to sell the guitar to get the other one you will lose a lot of money. If and when you do make a purchase hook up with Rich @ Ibanez rules. I hear he really takes care of his customers plus he's a cool and knowledgeable guy.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *FORTHELOVEOFSWIRL
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 01:37 PM

UV -VS- Jem

no question about it:

GET A JEM7VWH

if u think a UV feels good, a jem7vwh makes a UV feel like garbage
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

UV -VS- Jem

hmm, Thanks guys.

I will deffinatly hook up with Rich. I dont really KNOW him know him but i know him and I'm confident in him. UNLESS i find a steal of a deal somewhere else. in which case, I can do my own setup's pretty well so It would not be that big of a problem.

The thing is, I REALLY liked the UV777. The flat neck felt great to me, more comefortable than my JS neck even. I think it is because I have rather big hands, which leads to my thumb hanging over the fretboard a bit unless I am consciencely thinking about keeping it on the back of the neck. But with the UV777 neck I didnt have the problem. It felt so comefortable to me.

I only played it for about 5 minuirs *or so, so the low b didnt become very functional at the time. I know, you are suppost to think of it as your high b, and i tried, but Im sure with a few hours of playing with it would become a very usefull tool.

And the problem with driving somewhere, is that the closest place around that would have a Jem..... possiably....... would be atleast 4-500 miles away. I could buy a guitar used on the gas used to get tere alone :P *LOL* WOW i just made Alaska seem like the boonies. Well its not really. but i wont go into it.

anyway, I am now able to form a better post because my allergies went away, SO IF YOU SKIPPED THE REST OF THIS POST READ FROM HERE ON***************

Jem -VS- UV777

compare tone *Everyone can compare tone, you can compare the tone between a strat and a tele cant you? well compare these two also*

Feel..... Dont take into concideration the 7th string..., 6 or 7 strings seem just as easy for me to play so think about the difference in the over all feel.

and i think that is abuot it.

I can get a used UV777 for 900 and a used VWH for 1100..... I think i am leaning towards the UV.

My band is going to florida this summer, and for the most part i am getting another guitar so that i can have a backup. WOULDNT wanna go all the way accrost the country withought atleast one backup guitar. thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JR
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 05:40 PM

UV -VS- Jem

dont do it, youll regret it for the rest of your guitar playing days, or until you end up buying a jem anyway

GET THE JEM7VWH, its phenomonally better

the neck is a lot nicer on the jem, similar to the uv, but better quality and feel, youll notice it as soon as you play it. its also denser which makes you feel like you hold substance whereas the uv almost feels hollow in comparison

on a scale of 1-10, i give a uv a 7 and jem a 9 (only one other guitar has a better neck than a jem7vwh)

the tone brighter and clearer on jem7vwh, you get a nicer tone on the jem, unless you kind like a little mudiness, then the blaze 2s on a 7 string are what youll like, i think the jem has a lot more versatitly you can even get acoustic sounding.....er..sound on *jem, uv doesnt seem to provide too much of a difference, at least i dont like it as much. you can get ANY tone (except a jackson ) on a jem

on a scale of 1-10, i give *uv an 8 and a jem a 10 (best sounding guitar ive ever heard)

SO TRUST ME, the seven string doesnt do anything, it just gives you 5 more unecesarry notes, and the jem is a much higher quality guitar, i rambled because i dont want you to make the same mistake i did, i traded my used jem7vwh for a brand new uv, and i have regretted it for years.

GET a JEM7vwh
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

UV -VS- Jem

OK, well the VWH is looking up. Thanks C. Ron.

but STILL..... the UV's are cheaper. And before my trip to florida I am gonna need to buy a *Legacy combo..... I am NOT hauling my Cab and head down there. I suppose i could buy a 2 12 cab but thsi is besides the point.

I would really like to not go over 1100 bucks. And it is hard to find a VWH in good condition going for that. Rich has a 95 for that right now but it will probably be gone soon. Maby i should try and crack my parents down... I can pay them back this summer. hehehe.

So anyone else agree with Captian Ron? Lets get some other opinions in here

JR
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 11:36 PM
YJM

UV -VS- Jem

If you like the UV777, then go for it. Nothing wrong with that!

Ask yourself, what do you want in a guitar? 7 or 6 strings? Basswood or alder? Rosewood or ebony? The VWH and UV777 sound quite different because of different woods and pups. But remember pups can be changed later, so you can get a UV777 to sound pretty much like a VWH, though not exactly.

Both are excellent players. I own a VWH and have played a UV777. The Jem neck is quite a bit thinner and flatter than the JS, and also slightly wider. Very comfortable. (Might it be worth pointing out that I actually like the JS neck better! ) The UV neck has a very similar feel to the Jem except that the UV has a finish applied on the back.

If you ask me, I'd say go play a VWH first if you can find one. Otherwise, just get a VWH.

-Bill
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 12:30 AM

UV -VS- Jem

I can't tell you what to buy because we all have different opinions about different guitars. I didn't even like the Jem7vwh the first ime I played it. I thought the neck was too bulky and the sound was bad. Course the gear I played it through was not the greatest and I was a beginning student. Anyways the point is, if you like it buy it. It does not matter what anyone else says. So say you never play a Jem7vwh and end up buying the Universe. Great! You have an excellent guitar. Then one day oyu stumble across the Jem and play it and say "Boy this is the best guitar I have ever played I have to buy it." Then trade in your UV and put a little more money down and there, you have your Jem. Also remember, nothing is perfect. I have been trying to find the perfect guitar and I am beginning to realize that every guitar has flaws. You don't need to have the best guitar to beable to play well. You need a guitar that allows you to play what you want to play. I gurantee you Steve Vai's Jem is not nicer than an say a handmade Conklin. And I'm sure Steve Vai knows that. But he also knows he doesn't need a guitar like that for himself. However maybe the Jem does have a nicer neck thatn the UV. Is it worth the extra money? Or is it just something that would be nice to have? I know this turned into a ramble, sorry, but I just wanted to say some things to help other people as well as myself when it comes to buying guitars. Anyways if I were you I would buy the UV becasue I want to learn to use another string.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

UV -VS- Jem

Thanks YJM, Given to fly,

*I think I have decided that, When I have all the funding and OK to go ahead and purchase a guitar. It will be a UV777BK......... OR*haha thought you had convinced me didnt you?* a VWH.... It will all come down to which guitar is avaliable at the moment... and if both are, which one I am GASing for the most. I know i would be happy with either! I am convinced that If i like how the UV feels i would REALLY like how the VWH feels. and If i like how the UV sounds.. i will LOVE how the Jem sounds *brighter, punchier, what i like*. So naturally, I would rather have the VWH right? well, the 7th string sounds VERY inviting to me *I dont play heavey, metal stuff, but it still sounds inviting*

So they ballance eachother out perfectly in my mind. I will have both one day.... so whichever I want more when I am ready to buy, is the one I will be getting! THANKS GUYS!

JR
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 02:06 AM

UV -VS- Jem

Sorry to rain on Captain Ron's opinons.

I had the choice between the 7vwh and the 777bk. I choose the 777bk.

The jem was great...I want one now also, but I would NOT trade my UV for one. I love both guitars, but I chose the UV. To me it felt right, looked even better.

I'll put it as my girlfriend said.

"Your universe is you, I see that guitar and I think of you."
" When I see you play the jem it looks like God's guitar in the hands of the devil" ( Which in itself is not a bad idea)

....It matters what feels better to you personally. Don't pick the Jem because someone says it is built " superior". My universe is perfect. Not a single problem. And it sounds great. Used from metal to Jazz.

and BTW.. that gold fades on the Jem One thing that made me choose the UV. Also my hands are rather big, it helped me improve my technic by not throwing my thumb around the neck,
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 03:56 AM
YJM

UV -VS- Jem

Correction: the UV neck is actually not coated. It's the same as the Jem neck with a smooth, satin finish. I just found out from a trip to a music store downtown.

BTW I didn't play the UV777 today, but did a couple of brand new Gibsons - Flying V's and LP Standard's. Gee! Their craftmanship absolutely leaves a lot to be desired! Full of flaws! e.g. you get random bubbles on the flat back of a USD$2100 LP! * *

-Bill
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

UV -VS- Jem

HAHA.... that makes me laugh. Think of all the times youve heard *a gibson fan comment on the quality of a Gibson and thats wy you pay so much.... hmm.... well look at them now buddy.

ANYWAY.... back on topic.

I think if i had a choice, right now, i would go for the VWH, because 1) I like how it looks a LITTLE better, 2) Would enjoy having a non basswood/rosewood guitar *LOL* and number 3) Every time i watch the "in my dreams with you" video... I want a VWH more than anything in the world.... and guess what i just watched

JR
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 03:42 PM

UV -VS- Jem

your leaning in the right direction jayrob

subliminal message : GET THE JEM, GET THE JEM, YOU WANT THE JEM, YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE JEM, GET THE JEM

Tags
fretboard wood , guitar playing , jem neck , music store , sounding guitar , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode