UV70P - Buy or Avoid? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

UV70P - Buy or Avoid?

Hi all,

I have been enjoying my Jem so much recently that I have been contemplating buying a universe as well as I love the retro look of the 70P.

Now, it took me about 2 seconds to google some bad reviews about the 70P.

Are they bad or has there just been a few unfortunate cases?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 06:45 PM

Reviews: 21
Re: UV70P - Buy or Avoid?

I like it. I don't own one though.
Play it in a store before buying it or buy from Rich.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 06:47 PM

I would shoot for a prestige. Played one in the store it just wasn't up to par. I'm not talking about just the setup... The finish, hardware, etc just didn't vibe well. Go for an rg752.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 07:13 PM

Reviews: 2

It's too bad your in OZ. Your options are somewhat limited because of it.

The 70P is NOT a bad guitar at all, but like all premiums, they suffer from good quality checking at the factory. There have certainly been some problem in production that SHOULD have sent up red flags..... but they didn't. The fact of the matter is that, in all likelyhood, there will be something not right about any premium you buy.

On the upside- pretty much every problem that has surfaced with these guitars is fixable. If your good with doing guitar maintenence, feel comfortable with the correct tools, and feel confident in opening up your guitar to do possibly invasive work- you can end up with a stellar Universe. If your not comfortable with these things you'll probably need a very good luthier/tech to finish off the work that the factory failed to do. You need to figure this expense into the cost of buying the guitar.

I have a new name for the Indo's/Premiums. I call them "Carpenters Specials". If you've ever been out house hunting, you know what this means.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
....................or buy from Rich.
I'm sure he's going to kill me for saying this.........

Buying from Rich is probably your best bet. You'll want the silver level package. I know this seems expensive, but even after Duties and VAT, your going to save a few bucks because the guitar won't need ANY further work........ it will be as perfect as it can be. It will also be a better guitar than any other UV70 in OZ because it's an "Ibanez Rules" guitar.................

If your serious about buying anywhere, you need to START by talking to Rich about it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
It's too bad your in OZ. Your options are somewhat limited because of it.

The 70P is NOT a bad guitar at all, but like all premiums, they suffer from good quality checking at the factory. There have certainly been some problem in production that SHOULD have sent up red flags..... but they didn't. The fact of the matter is that, in all likelyhood, there will be something not right about any premium you buy.

On the upside- pretty much every problem that has surfaced with these guitars is fixable. If your good with doing guitar maintenence, feel comfortable with the correct tools, and feel confident in opening up your guitar to do possibly invasive work- you can end up with a stellar Universe. If your not comfortable with these things you'll probably need a very good luthier/tech to finish off the work that the factory failed to do. You need to figure this expense into the cost of buying the guitar.

I have a new name for the Indo's/Premiums. I call them "Carpenters Specials". If you've ever been out house hunting, you know what this means.
This is exactly what worries me. I saw the thread on here by panix, is a real worry they could let guitars go from QC like that. I have had 4 premiums and 2 iron labels, only have 1 of each now because of just really "meh" feeling guitars.

I haven't played a 70P for more then 2 seconds so will obviously have to go look at one first.

I was hoping the issues with panix's one was a one of but maybe there is more underlying issues with all the premiums? I haven't had issue like he had, more just dead feeling guitars or fret/binding and overall QC issues.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I'm sure he's going to kill me for saying this.........

Buying from Rich is probably your best bet. You'll want the silver level package. I know this seems expensive, but even after Duties and VAT, your going to save a few bucks because the guitar won't need ANY further work........ it will be as perfect as it can be. It will also be a better guitar than any other UV70 in OZ because it's an "Ibanez Rules" guitar.................

If your serious about buying anywhere, you need to START by talking to Rich about it.
Thanks I'll shoot him a msg about it.

I think it might be to expensive, looking at the US price, min retail is around $1500 which is around $2000 AUD, so + tax and post, will be over $2500 AUD. I can get one here for about $1400 AUD or used for about $800 AUD.

I could always send it to my guitar guy, he is a pro Luther who I would trust with any guitar, but in reality you shouldn't have to send any new guitar for more then a quick setup imo.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 12:07 AM

I agree, you shouldn't have to expect to have work done on a brand new guitar. As it is though, If it had MIJ quality and control it would also have MIJ prices. I still think the MII premium sigs are a good deal. Even factoring the price of the guitar new and a max of $600 put into "perfecting" it, you'd save a ton of money over an MIJ. $600 would include swapping to a Lo-Pro7
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 01:23 AM
Banned

I agree with what RGTFanatic (Ryc) said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsixboy View Post
This is exactly what worries me. I saw the thread on here by panix, is a real worry they could let guitars go from QC like that. I have had 4 premiums and 2 iron labels, only have 1 of each now because of just really "meh" feeling guitars.

I haven't played a 70P for more then 2 seconds so will obviously have to go look at one first.

I was hoping the issues with panix's one was a one of but maybe there is more underlying issues with all the premiums? I haven't had issue like he had, more just dead feeling guitars or fret/binding and overall QC issues.
I fully understand your worries.
Even in my darkest hours of despair, which was in the beginning when I was still angry and worried and still "learning" the Ibanez tricks/setup/configuration, which is different than anything I had, the wood on mine sounded too good to have let it go. Even when I was determined about asking a replacement (which might very well have the same problems), I didn't shoot for a prestige but rather for the same guitar. Having HSH pup configuration is hard to find in other 7-string models. Not to mention supreme fretwork, great tone, great harmonics and great sustain all over (except the last 2 frets on high strings which fall to 3.5 -> 3 seconds).

If this guitar didn't have the neck mounting issues and the slanted neck pup as a consequence ... (still not sure if those two were connected), it would be a guitar I would never mod. The only mods I did were (difficulty 1->5) :
- fixing the neck body joint, by replacing also the neck screws (easily but took me a lot of research to get there) ( 3.5 )
- fixing the slanted neck pickup (3)
- replaced locking nut bolts and saddle screws with steel ones (1)
- did the medical rubber tubing trem springs mod (1)
- added a little weight onto the trem block to enhance sustain on last frets (which I dont know if it made any difference) (1)

If I had a tech that would trust (but there is no such thing where I live) and could pay e.g. 100 EUR for all this, without needing to know the details I would do it in a heartbeat.

I still believe my problems were *in the price*. I bought this new for 890 EUR, which was far lower than the average euro price : 1200 EUR. Maybe it was returned by some seller and the smart asses in Ibanez Germany sold it to Thomann.de where I bought from, I will never know. Needless to say, Thomann.de was absent from my whole adventure, I sent them the guitar only to return it to me in the same condition. I did the heavier fixing myself, with the help of RGTfanatic, Take a Ride (thanx Jesse), Apollo, and Shalipur with whom I exchanged a lot of messages and guided me very carefully.

So even in the worst case scenario, this can easily be transformed to a fantastic instrument.

If you are close to buying one, I would gladly give you a full listing of things to check, measurements, clearances, and everything that would guarantee it is a flawless guitar. Or at least assess the amount of setting up it will need afterwards.

Last edited by panix; 02-05-2015 at 06:39 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 02:03 PM
Banned

To be honest all those months I was playing the guitar with headphones. I was measuring sustain and assessing tone via the headphones, connected straight to a Boss ME-25.
Today, while the family was away, I connected it to the amp, I sort of increased the volume, and the sound was unbelievably good. Sustain, tons of it, in the figures of 10 seconds in freted notes, harmonics everywhere easily. I am very very happy. And if something breaks in the long run, I am sure I will fix it.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 07:33 PM

You can get original used Green Dot for same price so think twice!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunu View Post
You can get original used Green Dot for same price so think twice!
This is almost exactly the point I make to other people with the premium signatures
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

I'm not bothering with the premium version anymore, not worth the hassle of having issues with it, I'll just buy a prestige 7 string when the time comes.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 08:33 PM

Mine was defective and sent back to the distributor. I recently tried one in the store and it was fine with no issues. Luck of the draw.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 11:56 PM

Russian roulette even...

Tags
universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode