UV70p's Edge-Zero II-7 bridge - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Banned

UV70p's Edge-Zero II-7 bridge

Hi just coming from here http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f16/ib...fr-133058.html ,
Pulled the trigger for the UV70p Universe!
I read some negative online reviews about Edge-Zero II-7 bridge. How would you rate it? Will it be reliable and durable? I am no stranger to fixing, setting up floyds. I have set up and even repaired two of floyds of mine. Where are the weak points of this bridge? Maybe the knife edges ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 03:22 AM
Vendor

Re: UV70p's Edge-Zero II-7 bridge

The major problem with all the EZ's is there is no steel saddle lockdown plate and you can strip the treads in the baseplate setting intonation. That's bad, don't do it.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The major problem with all the EZ's is there is no steel saddle lockdown plate and you can strip the treads in the baseplate setting intonation. That's bad, don't do it.
Thanx Rich,
You mean I will have to follow the one-finger rule when fastening those saddle bolts? Be more cautious than this? Or simply never touch them?

If this happens, Is there any remedy to this? except buying a new trem? Would a solution with e.g. Helicoil work?

Anyways, i haven't paid yet. Should I do it? Should I buy this?

Last edited by panix; 10-02-2014 at 06:30 AM.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:53 AM

Just don't over-tighten the bolts and you won't have a problem.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
Just don't over-tighten the bolts and you won't have a problem.
Thanx bro, that means, just turn them with my right little finger, (cause the left one is stronger i guess )
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Vendor

I've stripped 3 now and I don't overtighten anything.

Yes, helicoil is the answer if you can get somebody to do it, but if you strip one hole, don't touch any of the rest, they'll probably go too. I don't believe the metallurgy is equal with all the batches.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I've stripped 3 now and I don't overtighten anything.

Yes, helicoil is the answer if you can get somebody to do it, but if you strip one hole, don't touch any of the rest, they'll probably go too. I don't believe the metallurgy is equal with all the batches.

Thanx Rich,

Don't you think the helicoil repair (or a variation) would be doable if someone does some practice on a spare plate?

so for 880 EUR new, would you think this is a good deal to go for?
And if i buy it, should i "stress test" it in the first month (while in the 30 days return period) and return it if broken?
Or should i just be careful during the 3 years guarantee and then never touch any saddle intonation bolt again?

in short should i buy it or not?

Last edited by panix; 10-02-2014 at 11:11 AM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Vendor

I have no idea what pricing is like in Europe.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Alright guys, so if it breaks after the guarantee, is there any Gotoh/Floyd Rose direct fit replacement for this bridge? Or am i supposed to buy the whole thing for some 300 USD? (and hope it doesn't collapse again)
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Hey, looking at the bottom of the plate :

wouldn't be possible to just glue a steel plate with a matching template from below - or just an individual nut, and then use the same metric bolts, just a little longer to bite the extra steel/or nut beneath?
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 05:35 PM

A great idea! Would be quite a bit of work. You would also have to make sure you have enough clearance from the bottom of the baseplate to the body.

In any case, as Rich pointed out with the issues with the bridge, I got rid of all of my J Custom and Prestige guitars that I had with the EZ Bridge. I liked it a lot at first but then I started having issues with one of them after a few years. Then the next guitar went south on me. That was enough for me to move back to Edge Pro guitars. No issues since.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 06:00 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
Hey, looking at the bottom of the plate :

wouldn't be possible to just glue a steel plate with a matching template from below - or just an individual nut, and then use the same metric bolts, just a little longer to bite the extra steel/or nut beneath?
That is a great idea. You could use the unused intonation bores to screw a new steel plate to the bottom.

You would have to recess the area of the body between the anchors to accommodate the depth of the new plate and any fasteners used. This would be a great fix for a stripped plate, but I wouldn't do it until one of them WAS stripped.

Conversely, If you knew a machinist you could get a steel plate recessed into the base- then the original intonation screws would be fine.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:26 PM
Vendor

It's gotta be 2mm thick so that's a lot of height to overcome with neck angle, but it's doable. You can use an edge plate on a 6, but not a 7 unless all the screws were in the front holes, and the B saddle on a 7 will always be in the rear hole. Since a machine shop would have to make the plate to begin with, helicoil is the logical answer. Helicoil all the holes and you'll never have to worry about it.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Banned

So, I suppose a better Ibanez MIJ tremolo or an after market tremolo e.g. OFR 7-string or FR 1000-7 string is out of the question?
Does it require serious mods/routing?
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Another solution maybe ? how about using rivets? drilling out the hole and attaching from below smth like a rivet :

with a tang strong enough to keep the saddle down.

Tags
bridge , edge-zero ii-7 , uv70p

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode