UV777 Blaze Pickups Low Output? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

UV777 Blaze Pickups Low Output?

Hi there,

I have a UV777bk and have recently aquired a Digitech 2120 which initially had some really agressive noise gates set up. I have since changed these but it was whist initially playing with the unit that I noticed the output I get from the blaze (bridge) in the UV was fading off after about 1 second. I compared it to the factory pickup (bridge) in an RG7420 and found the RG to be not only louder but sustained the signal for about 8 times longer.

My questions are:

1) Is the blaze a quiet pickup compared to the RG factory, or could it be knackered.

2) Will an EMG 707 fit straight in at the bridge in the UV, cos I presume an active pickup will give much more output?

Many thanks for reading

Regards
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 06:16 AM

I'm no expert but I do find the Uni seems set up more for clean and crunch than outright distortion. Played clean through my Marshall it has stunning one, but with any OD it tends to get muddy on the lower range.

Hence thinking of buying a Luke or a Wolfgang as well
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

I have since researched and found that I would need to route the cavity cos the EMG is wider than standard.

I was also wondering if anyone here at Jemsite could give me a constructive view of an E$P KH-2 vs a JEM. Cos atm I need another 6 string and they're my final 2. I know this is an Ibanez fan site but if I asked for opinions from an E$P site I would just get an immature "KH Brilliant, Ibanez suck" load of crap, wheras I believe the level of maturity displayed by most here may help.

I would normally try and find one to play but here in the North UK E$P seems like rocking horse sh*t to find, with more and more dealers dropping them!

TIA

Paul
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 09:15 PM

The Blazes aren't THAT quiet. The bridge output is 380 mV, so maybe yours has problems.

I had to replace a bad tone pot in my recently, while I was at it, I decided to bypass it altogether for pure treble to the pickups. It really seemed to wake the Blazes up, I am pretty happy now, although I will probably still go for the Evo7 at some point, they are definitely improvements over the Blazes and don't have the slightly sterile sound of active pickups.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Hmm, I do tend to like pickups with a slightly scooped mid and the EVO's have quite a high mid range but I spose I'd have to compare the two somehow.

Could my Blazes be quieter cos I have replaced the 5 way with a YM-50 switch as opposed to the VLX91? I would have thought each served the purpose of just routing the circuit?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 11:05 AM

Re: UV777 Blaze Pickups Low Output?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise
Hi there,

I have a UV777bk and have recently aquired a Digitech 2120 which initially had some really agressive noise gates set up. I have since changed these but it was whist initially playing with the unit that I noticed the output I get from the blaze (bridge) in the UV was fading off after about 1 second. I compared it to the factory pickup (bridge) in an RG7420 and found the RG to be not only louder but sustained the signal for about 8 times longer.

My questions are:

1) Is the blaze a quiet pickup compared to the RG factory, or could it be knackered.

2) Will an EMG 707 fit straight in at the bridge in the UV, cos I presume an active pickup will give much more output?

Many thanks for reading

Regards
Paul
I'm using a Digitech 2120 too with my UV, I've got no problems at all. Soothing sustain for quite some time. Maybe you should change some patches of the digitech. Try using a different pre-amp, get away from the noise gate (! ! !)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 12:06 PM

Reviews: 6
I like the KH2 model as well (especially the neck-thru-body). If you see a used M-II Standard for sale anywhere you may also want to consider snagging it as it's basically the same guitar except for no skull/crossbones inlays and no EMG pickups and save yourself $600-$800. A JEM is great and a KH2 (and M-II Standard) is great too. Personal preference will make the choice on these as the 2 models cost about the same and are probably equivalent quality-wise. I like the 2004 M-II Standard with the maple fingerboard, a real Floyd and SD pickups and my fave NO tone knob ala Ibanez PGM models ($1,200 new or so). Previous year M-II's had rosewood fingerboards ala the KH2. Good luck in your search and choice of instrument.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Many thanks for some great views.

I used to own a desert yellow RG550 about 8 years ago and that got smashed up at a gig!! Was the best 6 I'd ever played, so I'd probs be very tempted by a 777DY, cos I presume it would play as well if not better.....only trouble is finding one in good nick, an impossibility in North West England. Would the neck on that be as thin as the 550 (year '87 I think)?

However if I did plump for a Jem over the KH I'd have the dilemma of old jem/new jem, PAF vs EVO, EDGE vs LO Pro etc..... I'm such a massive fan of those eighties colours (/early nineties) its crying shame a production run of the new jem specs cant be done in the 777 colours .... I'd wanna buy em all.

HEHE now theres a poll that needs doin:

Would you like to see the newer jems given a production run in the older 777 colour schemes?

Regards

Tags
ibanez pgm , maple fingerboard , rosewood fingerboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode