UV777 came home today... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

UV777 came home today...

They called me on Wednesday, she'd arrived on the UPS shipment. I was out of town, so I couldn't go see her.

We got there about noon today. One look, and I was amazed. For a long time… I’ve wondered what would make the Universe 7 worth the extra cash? Is it really worth it? I was thinking the guitar would probably be a disappointment for the money when I finally saw it in person. Boy, was I wrong. It’s jet black, so black you could comb your hair in the reflection. The neck has a nice dry feel to it... and I like that a great deal, in fact, I prefer maple necks for that reason... but this one feels great as well. The chrome/cosmo black hardware fits the guitar well… and the Ibanez logo is done in chrome to match the mirrored faceplate. The entire body has this mother-of-pearl outline and the disappearing pyramid inlays are matched. The “Light Without Heat” has a darker pearlescence to it. Beautiful workmanship.

But now I have to learn to replay guitar!! It's surprisingly comfortable, in fact, it's actually a little more comfortable than a six, the string. It feels as though the strings are a tiny bit closer together. It easy to navigate the entire fretboard. First impression? Incredible sound and sustain. Very warm tone. Much warmer and less punchy than the maple 770 that I have. It’s VERY light. Much lighter than I thought it was going to be. About the same weight as my six, if not less. I have been just running scales up and down the neck, making sure to learn where the notes are on the low B. I keep trying to use the 7th like a low E when I’m playing chord progressions by hooking my thumb over to grab different variations of chords... I have to break that habit when I play the Universe because it's not the same chords anymore! The neck is noticeably wider to the touch, but I'm used to that after just a few hours playing. Incorporating the low B in chord progressions is slowly beginning to work after just a few hours... and bar chords are a little more difficult. This will require some strengthening of my left hand muscles.

All in all, two thumbs up so far!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 05:34 PM

Congrats on your UV.

Yep, she's blacker than Hotblack Desiato's spaceship
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 06:58 PM
EKG

Congrats!

Isn't it great to be surprised at how great these guitars really are? I'm happy for you...I know the feeling! ;-)
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 10:33 PM

Ive got one too
ill never play 6 string agian

Tags
chord progression , chord progressions , cosmo black hardware , maple neck , maple necks , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode