UV777BK issues.... - My first Universe....can't wait! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

UV777BK issues.... - My first Universe....can't wait!

New to the forums here. Just had to post this tidbit to see what ya'll think.........

* I scored a UV777BK new unplayed in the case off E-Bay for less than $900 with shipping. Iam currently anxiously awaiting its arrival. *From what I have read....thats a pretty damn good deal isn't it?

* I have owned a couple JEMS over the years(JEM777SK and a JEM7BSB..both lost in a fire ) *but I've never had a 7 string. And in recent years I became kinda turned off by them due to it being "the Thing" to play detuned 7 strings. *But I couldn't pass up a deal this good. Trends be damned!

* I am by no means a "brand nazi" or anything. I currently play a Paul Reed Smith Custom 24,Gibson Les Paul Special Plus(quilted flattop), a Parker NiteFly, and a Carvin SC90 Koa.

* Basically I was curious if anyone had the same thoughts about 7 string guitars with recent trends in music? *I do originals and covers.....and I am by no means a full on shredder, but I just see the Universe as a very cool way to open up new avenues to my playing.
* Lastly....whats the general concensus opinon regarding the Blaze pickups in the UV777BK? Good and toneful.....or replacement material?
*Thanks....
A.J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 09:28 PM

UV777BK issues....

Congrats on the purchase, and yes, if the guitar is in very good shape, that's a great price.

Seven strings got a bad rap with the whole 'Korn thing'. People immediatly assumed that if you played one, that either a) that's what you played or b) that's all you could play. Total ****
if you ask me.

I'm essentially a seven string player only now. I still own six strings and may even purchase some in the future, but I almost feel limited now on one. The transition to seven isn't hard, it's harder to go back and forth between the two constantly. Even then, it only takes a few days.

As far as the pickups, I hated the stockers. I found them thin and gutless with very little personality. I put in 2 Dimarzios, a Tone Zone 7 and a PAF7 and am extremely happy. As a side note, the Duncan JB7 is very very nice too.

In a nutshell, you can do anything you do on 6 on a 7, but you can't do most of what you do on a 7 on a 6. It's all a personal thing. I'd always rather have the extra string and use when I need it then not have the option.

Hope the UV turns out good for you.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 09:54 AM

UV777BK issues....

I'd say you got a really nice deal. *And I totally agree with Jeff, it is a great guitar and I now prefer it to any six string that I have, or have owned. *They require a little extra TLC to get playing the way you want, but it's a labor of love.

Pickups are a very personal thing. *I am very satisfied with the bridge pickup, it is a little bassy, but I can eq that out if needed, it is the middle and neck that are lacking in my opinion, might try a PAF7 in the neck, others seem to like that one.

Congrats, it is a beautiful instrument...and despite the number of them out there, I have yet to see anyone play one in a band out in town. *

(Edited by Gresh at 9:00 am on Aug. 27, 2001)
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 10:30 AM

UV777BK issues....

IMHO, The necks on the UVs feel closer to a Jem than any 7-string in the world. Itís a very thin neck and with proper setup, very easy to get used to.

Congrats on a good deal and a fine guitar.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 04:15 PM

UV777BK issues....

I paid a lot more than that for my UV777BK

I recently replaced the Blaze 2s. *Wasn't thrilled with them. *Very good for gain, but not much going on for aynthing else. *

Check out this recent thread:

http://jemsiteforum.com/board/topic....um=1&topic=586

I have a song just about completed. *As soon as i record it (in the next week or so, i hope) I'll post it in the multimedia section, so look out for it.

~Kenny
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

UV777BK issues....

Hey!

* Thanks for the replies guys! I appreciate the info on the stock pickups and aftermarket ones. *It should be here within the next day or two and I will post my opinion of it then! *>:-)
Thanks again,
A.J.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2001, 07:59 PM

UV777BK issues....

I have a UV777BK, my only JEM/Universe to date, and I love it....VERY quickly became my number one axe....I have no issues with the pickups, really, but I have heard from people in the audience who are reliable sources that the pups on my Les Paul sound better in context with my band, so I dunno....maybe EMGs sometime soon?

Tags
blaze pickups , bridge pickup , gibson les paul , les paul , paul reed , paul reed smith , reed smith , string guitars , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode