UV777BK or Mesa? (Stupid question...I know) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 30
UV777BK or Mesa? (Stupid question...I know)

Hey guys, I've run into a little bit of a problem. I'm stuck between chosing a Mesa Nomad 100 Head and buy the cab later or a UV777BK . Now I know this being Jemsite, everyone will probably say buy the UV, but I need a little bit of coaching sort of. The way I see it, a good amp can make any guitar have tone like crazy, but whenever I look at those UV's, it makes me because I know how bad I've wanted one for a while and have been wanting to "spoil" myself a little bit. You comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 06:31 PM

What amp are you running through currently? Do you currently have a 7? Do you have a cab that you can run the Nomad thru? If no 7 and no cab, buy the UV. If yes cab and yes 7, and current crappy amp, buy the Nomad. Others combos are a toss up.

YMMV,
-bill
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 06:37 PM

my opinion: if you 'need' an amp, like for rehearsing with a band or recording, you should get it. if both are 'just for fun' get the guitar.
my opinion might be biased, since i have 3 guitars, including a UVMC, and a 10 watt marshall. no effects at all.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

As for now, I have a 7-string (7421). The amp I have is somewhat crappy but it's ok I suppose, it's a Hughes & Kettner Eddition 1. It's not that great for tone shaping or nothing, but with the help of outboard stuff, it does it's fair share of crunch and cleans. I don't have a cab for the Mesa, but would be getting one soon after. I planned on purchasing in 2 separate pieces unless some other source of money came through.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 08:22 AM

I'd go with the UV777BK first. The market for them now is really good; eBays had them listed for a decent price almost constantly and in force in the past few weeks. I'm assuming it's because alot of kids are selling them to go back to school but there's plenty on the market right now and going for a good price.

The Mesa head....well...they're still pretty well sought after by harder-edged bands. One of those coupled with a PRS is generally the desired setup for alot of nu-metal kids. As a result the price of them is inflated in my opinion compared to the inevitable point in time when nu-metal tanks and the prices drop considerably (think rack-mount gear in tyhe grunge era) it's a terrible investment now.

The UV777BKs are amazing axes. Vai's just not playing them and I wonder how long Ibanez will keep them around if they're not getting the push from them.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 04:10 PM

I'd also go with the UV777BK (same reason(s) as skarekrough)

Joten
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 04:25 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
me too
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Ok, well it looks like a UV it will be. Maybe somewhere down the line a Mesa will come my way. All I know is either way, I would be happy with my choice and get the other at a later date. One thing is for sure though, I've wanted the UV way longer
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 12:43 PM

How about the UV and a POD to satisfy your Mesa craving. Very good recto tones inside.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 12:56 PM

Yeah that's a good idea there - get the UV and a POD so you have even more badass sounds to screw around with. It'll more than hold you out until you can afford the Mesa!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 02:17 PM

Agreed...if a UV and a POD doesn't keep you sufficiently busy until you have enough for a Mesa you really need to worry about your attention span.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 01:58 PM

OT I know but POD's suck man You could get the UV and save a little and get a cheaper but still awesome head like a Laney VH100R or a Carvin MTS3200
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 03:03 PM

he can try one out and decide for himself.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

All of your ideas sound good. I think I'm gonna go with Gresh on this one and try them all out. I've never used a POD and like the idea of it, but same for the other amps mentioned. So I'm just going to try them all out. I will update when I get the UV (should be within a couple weeks ) and decide about which option for amp or POD. Thanks guys.

David

Tags
mesa nomad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode