UV777BK string action problems - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

UV777BK string action problems

Hi,

on my UV777BK the string action is damn high around the 12th fret. It tried to lower the floyd but it doesnīt help much. So I also tried to adjust the neck but it also doesnīt help much around the 12th fret / higher frets.

Does someone know what Iīm doing wrong?

Iīm not the first owner of the Universe so I thought maybe the first owner highered the locking at the headstock. So I took a look and found to thin metal-like pieces as seen of on the photo. Does it come with the factory setting? I was just wondering.

But I believe that it also wonīt change the action on the higher strings. I hope you guys have some suggestion for me, because that action is way to high for such an high-end guitar.

thx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 06:11 PM

Reviews: 7
Re: UV777BK string action problems

Yeah, they come shimmed. Besides the nut has nothing to do with frets that high.

Are you sure you didn't back off the locking stud screws (down the center of the trem posts)? You might not be getting the trem as low as you could if you forgot to do that.

A picture of the bridge would help too.

If that's not the case. How much relief does the neck have? Fret the first and last frets on the low B and check how much space is between the frets and the strings. Let me know what kind of gap your getting at it's biggest.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

hi, thx for the fast response.

I "unscrewed" the locking stud screws to lower the floyd to the max. But even then the action is high.
When I ret the 1st and 24th fret the height at the 7th fret is really low. Thatīs ok, the problem is more ah the higher string.
When i donīt fret any strings the hieght on the high E string is about 1 mm at the 12 fret. It isnīt quite nice to shred there
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 08:53 PM

What is it at the 24th?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

about 1.5-1.9 mm
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 11:35 PM

That's actually a decent action. Not high by most people's standards. If it's hard to play fast up there just work on it more. I like to think I play somewhat fast and I'd say my action is a tad higher than yours and I play 6's for the most part.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 04:17 AM

Dont forget if you lower the action too much the strings fret out when you pull up on the trem. I know not every one likes to pull up on the trem but i love it, I can play fast with about 1mm of action. You dont have to have really low action to play fast, just practice more. Its a compromise between the two, really low action means no pulling up, and if you love Steve Vai's style then its a must.

Tags
higher strings , locking stud , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode