UV777BK tuning problems - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Rich, I thought you used to file the knife edges? Also I'll double check, but I thought that's one of the things he did. He may not have though because he was not real optimistic about the results he said would be produced. I'll ask him though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 09:01 PM
Vendor

Did, and still do when I need to, but then I have lots of experience at it and know what's good and what's not
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 09:50 PM

Rich is right.

I just straightened out my '00 RG2020X (which is hecku-fun with the DE all wired up) - I went through 2 sets of posts before I caught a pair that were OK, and filed the flat side knife just enough to make the edge "less wide", but not actually sharp. I could see even an experienced tech would make the mistake of over-sharpening. Which is why I really have been trying to hone my set-up skills over the past year or so because how the he11 is someone supposed to know what I like when I can barely figure out how I want it!

I say this about the tech section in Rich's site, here, or anywhere - READ all of the instructions first, then tackle the project. If you do, then it's a matter of your own skills. I've blown through a few things and made dumb mistakes (fortunately correctable ones) that I could have avoided
if I was correctly prepared.

You have nothing to lose by trying it - as I said to Rich when he advised that the DE filing was dangerous, "it's no good to me if it won't stay in tune, so what's to lose?"

In your case, it sounds like you need new posts. Can't hurt to replace them on your own. And when an Edge is set up correctly, NOTHING stays in tune better!
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 10:01 PM
Vendor

Correction, read it *3* times, fully understand it before d!cking around with anything
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 10:14 PM

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Correction, read it *3* times, fully understand it before d!cking around with anything
I think that's what I meant.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 03:33 PM
Vendor

I figured you did, it's just clearer now
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Well I've decided to relax a little and get my UV fixed so that it works properly. Sorry for freaking out about Ibanez. I do wish little problems like the posts and knife edges could be avoided but nothing is perfect. Also, I'm a little tired of spending money. At least on big things like guitars. I now work at a guitar store and for some reason have been kinda turned ofon buying things. Maybe I'll pick up a cool new thing every once and awhile but there are no guitars I want there. I'm going to hope and pray my Universe works out because it's the first guitar I've ever really, really liked.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 07:25 PM

just block that friggin trem and go fear factory

Tags
floating trems , floyd rose , floyd rose guitar , ibanez guitars , ibanez trem , locking stud , locking studs , low strings , trem guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode