UV777BK tuning problems - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

UV777BK tuning problems

Basically, my UV777BK was going a quater tone sharp on the low strings. So I took it in and guy filed the knife edges and filed down part of the pickguard that was catching. It's been 4 days and I checked the tuning again and it was the same thing. It's really frustrating because I really like this guitar but these tuning problems are just ridiculous. I don't know if other Floyd Rose guitars do this worse or not but I'm not very impressed with Ibanez and their trems. Anyways, any suggestions and what I should do? Any thing I could try differently to get it to stay in tune?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 05:08 PM
Banned

Well, according to you, you own other Ibanez trem guitars, and were fiending to buy more:

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtop...=23999&start=0

At least have a knowledge base and experience before you start claiming to be unimpressed with things. Do you have this problem with the others that you own?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 05:22 PM

Re: UV777BK tuning problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Given to Fly
Basically, my UV777BK was going a quater tone sharp on the low strings.
was this after you used the whammy bar, or can you just not get it in tune to begin with?
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Agguake, Yeah your right. This probably was a hasty post, but I'm just frustrated with this guitar. And yes, when I look back, I have had some type of problem with my Ibanez guitars (except for my RG 3120). I'm just being honest. The trms just never seem to stay in one spot. Or they go out of tune. If other people don't experience this then I am comfortable putting the blame on me, and acknowledging that I am doing something wrong.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Weserman, this is after a few days of playing and using the whammy bar.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 05:30 PM

if they end up sharp after a few days, then just re tune it. I have to tune my jem every four-five days, just because i use the trem so much. Also, i find that brand new, and real old strings will slip right out of tune. Have you considered changing strings? If you have new strings, then stretch them some more.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 05:30 PM
Banned

Well I can't speak for the lower end models, the lowest I've owned was an RG520, but this had the LoPro on it so all as good. I wouldn't expect much trouble from the RG3120 as the ones I've owned never gave me any trouble. Does your Universe have the LoPro or the Edge Pro?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

My Universe has the Lo Pro. I'll double check again but the problem is that when I tried to retune the bridge sunk back into the body a little bit. It's a pitch but not at zero. It's weird. The strings are maybe 2 weeks old at the most too.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 06:53 PM
Vendor

What year?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Year: '99
Except this guitar has locking studs. I thought these weren't supposed too. And the knife edges have been filed too. It's possessed.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 07:05 PM
Vendor

No, it's got bad studs, and I hope he didn't ruin the knifes filling them. All said, it should only go sharp after you pull the bar up, drop it to the body and let rise should be in perfect tune [as long as you tuned it that way]
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

So even though they are locking studs, that still means they are bad? Because I know they are locking. He put the hex wrench down into the stud and tightened and loosened them. Or is does the fact they are locking have nothing to do with why they are bad studs?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 07:13 PM
Vendor

I know you've been here long enough to see me post this 500 times

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech.htm#Flat_Knife
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rich. I guess I never read that closely enough before. Now I understand. Well, I'll put osme new posts in and see how that works. However I may have come to realize that Ibanez may not be for me.
I might be happier with a different guitar but we'll see.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 07:27 PM
Vendor

Nobody ever said floating trems were easy to maintain, you have to want to to enjoy their benefits

[preformance of the new studs will be directly related to how much he screwed up the knives]

Tags
floating trems , floyd rose , floyd rose guitar , ibanez guitars , ibanez trem , locking stud , locking studs , low strings , trem guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode