UV777BK Universe - need some advice! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Question UV777BK Universe - need some advice!

I bought my first Ibanez a couple of days ago, a 2001 model UV777BK and I've gotta say it's by far the best guitar I've ever played! The action on it is so low you'd probably struggle to fit much more than a piece of paper between the strings and frets and all in all it's in excellent shape. I do have a few minor problems however.

I bought the guitar off [censored, you know what I mean ] on the back of a few mobile phone pictures (I've always had pretty good judgement, I bought all of my guitars off [censored] and they're all superb) and upon arrival it was 85% as described. The only problems were that it looked like a monkey had attempted to restring it, the fretboard was absolutely filthy (I could scrape off black stuff with my fingernail) and it was missing the locking blocks from the neck. I've managed to source replacement parts for the string lock, but there are a couple of aesthetic problems too. The laquer has chipped off the back in a few places (no actual wood damage whatsoever) and the fret wire seems to have been marked by corroded strings that had been left on for a long time (some copper like discoloration and a generally faded look). I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for cleaning fret wire and patching up chipped laquer. Also, the tone pot is loose, I think the fitting has come out as it still works - how hard are these to fix? I've never really delt with guitar electronics before so I would like to know if it's a definite 'take it to a luthier' type job for any of the problems it has.

One last thing, I presume most people on this forum own a universe or a jem... so what are you guys/gals using to treat the unfinished neck? I've got a stock of JD lemon oil, but it's not something I'd ever consider using on maple. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 01:25 PM

Re: UV777BK Universe - need some advice!

If the frets are marked with corroded strings you can always just use some 0000 steel wool to clean it. I would personally get it fret leveled at the same time.

As for the lacquer on the back, you can goto an automotive supply store and get some black touch up paint. It usually comes in a small marker like thing that's got a small brush and some black paint wixed with clear.

The Tone pot probably just needs the washer tightened. Take off the knob and turn the washer to tighten it.

As for treating an unfinished neck, it's unlikely that your neck has no finish. Unless you removed all the matte clear yourself there's a little bit of a finish on the neck. Lemon Oil works fine.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 02:48 PM

That advice is all good, also I see you are UK, if you go to sound control and buy some Ddarrio XL 9's 3 pack some special packs come with a "planet waves fret cleaning system" basically some special cloths and a fret guide for polishing the fret up. I've just done my jem and its well bling now.

All universe necks are unfinished, i've also got a Universe777pBk like yours, built from parts, I bought the neck brand new from Ibanez Japan, I didn't know they were unifinshed either, thought it would feel like the Jem.

The paint is very brittle, i've had some crack where I redrilled the backplate holes it is covered up though. Be weary of the "Hi-cote" brand name laquor sold in car spares shops, I used it on a project and it didn't harden, the other ones are okay thin coates required though.

Don't forget war wounds give character.

Anyone can have a new guitar, the dearest guitars can be the ones looking like they've seen life.

Congrats on getting such a cool axe.

Regards

Tim
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: UV777BK Universe - need some advice!

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll check out the fret cleaners and paint tomorrow I've got my first practice with this beauty tonight, I've not even heard it amp'ed up yet and I'm stuck in work for the next 7 hours or so!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 07:45 AM

Go to Ibanezrules, Rich has a complete section on cleaning a nasty axe.

Stay away from lemon oil, not only does it dry to fast but it IS corrosive (even says so on the Martin guitar site). Since you already have some fret corrossion I'd stay far far away from lemon oil. Get Bore Oil or Fret Doctor, but stay away from lemon oil.

Last edited by GTR-MAN; 03-30-2007 at 10:00 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 08:36 AM

I double that! I use Rich's cleaning method. It works awesome. Ive always used Bore oil & windwood oil.........but I cant seem to locate any around here. I tried Lem-oil, and it instantly dulled out & dried my fretboard. Very disapointing. Im using Mineral oil now as a substitute. However.......it sounds like your axe is way to gone for help bro. I think ya should just relinquish it to me for a ridiculously low low price and stop torturing yourself. Ill be more then glad to bare that burden for ya.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Haha, it's not too much of a burden anymore Ranz I spent a good hour cleaning up the fretboard with Dunlop 65 lemon oil and 02 deep conditioner, took about 3 cloths to get all the crud off the frets but it's made a vast improvement to the look and playability. It's not the actual frets themselves that are corroded, since I've cleaned them they're as good as new.. the previous owner can't have played this guitar much I've read on a few sites that tung oil is good for unfinished necks? I'll see if I can get hold of some bore oil in the meantime.

Is lemon oil really that corrosive? I've been using it on all of my guitars every time I restring for years (only on the frets) and I've never seen any kind of fret wire decay or unusual dryness on the fretboard. I know it's not for use on maple, but it seems to be fine with rosewood
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 11:59 AM

This is the 1st time Ive ever used Lem-Oil. Some guy behind the counter at the local Guitar Center here said that all the bad things ya hear is a load of crap. Well..........my opinion now is that he's a load.......if ya know what I mean. I use fine grit emory cloth to clean my frets. I go over em very lightly.
As far as the frets go.......perhaps I got sum bum oil, or Im just not doing it right. I dunno But just from personal experience, Woodwind oil left my fretboards moistuized and lusturoues (<---is that a word?) They always felt nice & silky smooth afterwards. But...what ever works for somebody.....hey... stick with it
As far as the UV goes.......well........I tried dang it! But........if ya ever change your mind...........................
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

I know everyone's seen them before, but what can I say? I'm proud
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 09:30 AM

Yip.........you can always tell the true Ibanez fan. Most people whip out pics of the kids or pets............we whip picks of our Ibanez's!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Dee

I will also recommend Fret Doctor, the stuff is lovely. http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

And for the rest of the guitar, go to Rich's guide right here: http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_1.htm

Tags
fret level , fret wire , local guitar center , planet waves , steel wool , string lock , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode