UV777BK vs. JemVWH - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

UV777BK vs. JemVWH

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site.. and glad to be part of this excellent forum.
Thanks Glen (I think he's the one who looks after this site, correct me if i'm wrong)

I have a black Jem555... before anyone bashes me... *I do have an edge on it... and have the the fretboard modified to have the full tree of life.
Yes... I got the 555 (used) at a low price... and the edge was only 40 bucks.
So, after the modifications... the final cost is still way lower than the 7 series.

So how would you guys rate the playability/sound against the 7 series?

Now here's my real question. *Since I do want one more guitar... I'm considering only the UV777BK and JemVWH... *These two *IMO... are the 2 best guitars Ibanez has (excluding Jem10, true beauty).
So... which one of these are better.... *focus is on sound and playability.
I know that *the blaze and evolutions are different... *but... which one is more versatile?

Thanks everyone. *And if I'm wrong about any wrong actions I make in this forum... please let me know.

yosh yosh b'gosh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 02:48 AM

UV777BK vs. JemVWH

Buy a JS1000 :biggrin:

The playability of the UV and Jem is practiclly the same, just the UV has 1 more string. I don't know about the pickups though, haven't really heard an argument against em. I think, personally, I would go for the UV because you have a 555 with an edge and tree of life. You have yourself a 7 series right there.....why buy ANOTHER? Just get the UV then they can match too.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 02:52 AM

UV777BK vs. JemVWH

We got to get some pictures of the black 555 with an edge on it. Can you make this happen?

Since you already got a 6-string (ok ok, it's a 555 but anyways... ) I'd say go for the UV. They are both exellent guitars of course.

You should try them both out and go with the one that feels right for you. Good luck!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

UV777BK vs. JemVWH

I'm sorry.
But I do not have a digicam...
But.. I'll try to borrow one from my friend.

and for rsvampire. * I love the JS1000 as well.
However, need the 24 frets. *hahah... I've tried the JS1000 before, and I think it is definately one of the most comfortable guitar's I've ever played (slips though when sitting).

yosh yosh b'gosh.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 03:50 AM

UV777BK vs. JemVWH

Get the UV, it's a 7, so you'll have that extra string to play around with. I also quite like the sound of blazeII's (moreso than evo's). Also, I don't really like the cosmetics of the "elvis" jem so I may be biased

The UV is a fantastic playing guitar.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 05:29 AM

UV777BK vs. JemVWH

Quote:
7 Dying Trees on 9:50 am on April 5, 2002

The UV is a fantastic playing guitar.
You said it dude!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 08:31 AM

UV777BK vs. JemVWH

Welcome to the forum!!! *This is by far the best place on the web. *THere are some great players in here and folks with some awesome gear and awesome knowledge...you got a problem or question, these folks will figure it out for you.

At any rate, I only own seven strings anymore so I bet you can guess what my advice would be. *However, if you don't want a seven string, the 7v is a great choice, or maybe a DBK if you dig the breeds and the finish. *Versatility wise, the UV is the winner...only thing better would be finding a used 2027 or CST somewhere with the piezo lopro.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

UV777BK vs. JemVWH

What's the big deal with the piezos anyways?
I'm not sure what they do.... *do they enhance clean sounds?

yosh yosh b'gosh
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 09:41 AM

UV777BK vs. JemVWH

Piezo's are like a different kind of pickup in a way. They pick up the strings vibration without using magnets like conventional pickups, and end up producing a sound that's a lot more like an acoustic guitar.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

UV777BK vs. JemVWH

IC IC.
Back to the topic.
I was actually considering the UV777BK before posting this topic.
Main reason was after I saw the guitar in a local guitar store... it definately made my jaw drop...
So I checked it out on this site and found many good things about it.

It terms of leads... does it compare with the VWH?
Because if I'm buying this guitar... it's gonna be my main guitar and I do some lead work.
Thanks
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 09:59 AM

UV777BK vs. JemVWH

I can't compare it to a vwh, but can do to a bsb, so the following is based on that.

Basically 7strings are harder to play in a way, the neck is thicker and every time I pick up my BSB I find that I can play a lot faster on it. I also find that I miss the low-B and that the neck feels ridiculously small. There is not much difference though, and after I adjusted my posture and technique because of my UV I found I was a better player overall afterwards. But lead work is damn cool on a UV, just more possibilities
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 10:16 AM

UV777BK vs. JemVWH

Hello and welcome to the forum!!!!

I would say get a 7 next, but I'd look for an older UV, they *have a sweeter neck, I've owned 5 UV's, and the only one I didn't like was the UV777BK. *

Question, where'd you get the full fretboard inlay done! *hehehe, I'd love to see it, here's some pics of one I did for our own forum member Bammbamm, it's even black light sensitive!

LGM Guitars inlays
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 11:09 AM

UV777BK vs. JemVWH

I'd say go for the UV777BK. *I went through the same thing youre oging through now about a month ago and decided on the UV777BK. *Last night I took it to band rehearsal for the first time. *Normally the guys give me $hit for having "another guitar" but they were so floored by how cool it looked they forgot to give me any crap about it.

The stock pickups on the UV777BK aren't nearly as terrible as some folks would like you to think. *They're not amazing but they're nowhere near as terrible as alot of pickups that come stock on other 7 strings these days.

Personally I like the neck on the UV777BK better than the older ones. *It's thicker and fits my hands much better than the other UVs. *It is a personal preference thing though. *Aside from the white UVs I personally think the rest of the line are exceptionally ugly for the most part.

Check out both. *The UVs are aestehtically not nearly as identifiable as the Jems which can be nice when playing out. *The added 7th string may be something you end up liking a whole lot as well. *I never expected to like it and sure enough I now own 3 of them. *
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 12:14 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
UV777BK vs. JemVWH

welcome to the forum and congrats on modding the JEM5. Good luck choosing your next axe ...glen
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 12:27 PM

Reviews: 5
UV777BK vs. JemVWH

welcome to the forum

Good luck choosing. *I really like both guitars. *But I'm still trying to learn to play the 6-string, so I won't graduate to the 7 for a few years now.

Tags
acoustic guitar , lgm guitars , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

Ibanez UV777BK Universe or 2027?
UV777BK lefty?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode