UV777GR - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

UV777GR

Gotta question for those who have in there possession the old school UV777GR or any of them other bright 777 models. Have any of you had a chip that has gone deep? The reason I ask is,, I have a "chunk" taken out of mine and had noticed that there are actually 4 layers to it!
There is a white base coat,
Then a green paint,
Then another base coat,
Then the green again, and the sealer coat, so with the sealer coat there are actually 5 layers to this thing.

I have had in my possesion a few of these rare creatures over the years and have to admit that this one has the "biggest, baddest, beefiest sound", I have ever heard. The old UV's have that growl that the new ones just don't quite have. As beat up as she is, she is just amazing! I had considered restoring it,, but man don't want to take the risk of changing that tone!

So in conclusion and after all the jibberish... my question is, was this a common thing done to the bright 777's of old day?

p.s.
I think if Steve got ahold of this thing he would seriously reconsider the whole 7 string thing,,,, yep it's that good,, it's that insane!

~A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 05:58 PM

very interesting...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 11:23 PM

I remember seeing an RG7 about 5 years ago that had a multi layered paint too in a chipped section.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 04:44 PM

Reviews: 12
I think there was a thread somewhere mentioning that the GR had the most layers in the series. Maybe Jeremy might offer ya food for thought.
I've compared my GR to my friend's PBK and though similar as they are, they sound different to each other. The GR seems to have more growl but perhaps its the maple neck that's giving it tone and the combination of aftermarket DiMarzio's. Plus I prefered the GR's neck profile over the PBK's
What's the serial# on your GR?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Yeah,,, I prefer the maple neck and must agree it gives this one such a different tone versus PBK or UVMC.
Serial# 918684
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Here's a picture of her about to blast off into the skies above Southern California... Oh and no I didn't discover the paint deal by letting her fall off the tree....

~A
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 02:52 PM

So why'd ya want to refinishish it when it looks great as it is . Very uhh... flamey? :P Where's that missing chunk?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Missing chunk is on the back,,,, about the size of a silver dollar and removed about 1/8" almost 3/16" of wood. The flames and stuff are hiding some of the scratches as well. You know it's just one of them things. When my bro Rodney showed it to me at the store it was like whoa,,, what the heck? But once you let go of "collectibility" and stuff of that nature and just sit down shut your eyes and play.
"oh my god I said" I immediately had to have it, the tone was just out of this world. I ended up within the next day or two trading my new UV777BK I got from John Cowan and the Floral I also got from John was traded in on the VWH the same day.

~A
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 04:21 PM

Quote:
...But once you let go of "collectibility" and stuff of that nature and just sit down shut your eyes and play.
"oh my god I said" I immediately had to have it, the tone was just out of this world.
Same thing that came across my mind when I traded my RG470 for one of these babies. At the time, I was looking for a UV and the GR was last on the list. Apparantly, I stumbled upon an ad from someone wanting to trade their GR for an Ibanez 6 string. And the rest is history... lol

Reg
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Dude that is cool. My experience was a little funky to say the least. I first bought a UV777GR back in 91 brand new for about 900 bucks or so. It was one of them total impulse buys. I loved the color green, and I wanted something that no one else had. So I snagged one, got a little freaked out about that fishing bobber red toggle switch,,, so it went away really fast. Now picture if you can,,,, the scene was 1991 I was in a Metal band that did mostly covers of Metallica ( when they were cool ) Megadeth, slayer, Danzig, misfits etc...... I had been working out some cool variations for the sets we did, and hadn't seen my band mates since the purchase. I showed up,,, all smiley, and suspicious. My band mate Mike was like " soooo what's in the case?" That ain't your black ESP". Then I opened the case! My face went flush! the lights hit the inside of that PINK case! Everyone just sort of got quiet and then the giggling started.... "oh my god,,,it's pink in there". "No, (someone else exclaimed) it's pelican dink pink". So there I stood all shot out, with this screamin' green UV with the glowing pyramids of pink, yellow and green. Looking all heavy metal with this clown guitar around my shoulders.....LOL
Needless to say my personality then wasn't ready for such a statement,,, and it was gone! Years later I learned that it was actually sort of rare, and kicked myself then. For many more years I have kicked myself for ever bailing on it,,, because regardless of it's appearence it has a sound of it's own! Sooooo then 2002 rolls around and I again find one and now will never part with it. Lesson learned.
~A
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 08:05 PM

Allen,

Yo bro what's up!! I hope all is well. Good to see you man. Funny, you traded the floral and UV777BK because I ended up selling that DNA:-) House, wife, babies and all that fun stuff.

Good to hear from you.

JC
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 12:07 AM

Quote:
My face went flush! the lights hit the inside of that PINK case!
LOL yep... you can't go wrong with a pink case with the matching pink Ibanez logo out front. Definitely a jawdropper for the unsuspected haha.

Quote:
Looking all heavy metal with this clown guitar around my shoulders.....
That's what they told me LOL. Oh little did they know the facts (and it's 12 year history) about the guitar itself... Nothing says 80's hair metal other than yellow and pink lol. I evened out the green and black and made it look 'meaner' to suit my playing style hehe. Despite that, it still screams 80's

Quote:
Sooooo then 2002 rolls around and I again find one and now will never part with it. Lesson learned.
Was it the same GR ya parted?

Reg
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

It was a different guitar than what I parted with. That would have been creepy though! " remember me"....

~A

Tags
heavy metal , maple neck , toggle switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

Up for sale is my beutiful UV777GR

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode